• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OL Predictions Pre TC

Michael G

i've seen a few roster projections already by different Media Outlets for the Panthers including SI and ESPN. Most have our starting OL looking like this:

C-Bozeman, LT- Icky, LG- Brady C, RT- Taylor M., and RG- Austin C.

Do you think this is our best OL combo? I have also heard that Brady C and Icky might trade spots, or that Elfein will play Center and Bozeman LG with Brady on the bench. Rhule seems to love Michael J., Many huddlers had high hopes for Deonte B. last year and Cam Erving is still on the roster getting paid way too much. What do you think our starting OL will (or should) look like this year? Why?

14 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Brady and Icky on the left, let them figure it out. Icky got that mean streak, tho..

To Me Brady is the "?". He seemed to struggle playing G more than T last year. Larger DT's just bullied him sometimes and he got very little push in the run game (I could see him pulling and Icky smashing down successfully on certain plays tho). He is pretty smart, has good feet, but a little light to be the kind of Guard we may need (unless he has gotten stronger somehow). Icky is our LT though. I think he gets 1st shot because of his draft status and pure physicality. I Think Brady may be our versatile 6th lineman who can play anywhere- maybe even center in time. I'd love to see Deonte improve his game and get in there beside Icky on the left. I'd assume those 2 would really move the line of scrimmage in our offense's favor, I just don't know if he has improved his conditioning and fundamentals enough to really compete for a spot.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

i've seen a few roster projections already by different Media Outlets for the Panthers including SI and ESPN. Most have our starting OL looking like this:

Do you think this is our best OL combo? I have also heard that Brady C and Icky might trade spots, or that Elfein will play Center and Bozeman LG with Brady on the bench. Rhule seems to love Michael J., Many huddlers had high hopes for Deonte B. last year and Cam Erving is still on the roster getting paid way too much. What do you think our starting OL will (or should) look like this year? Why?

Switch BC and Ickey and you’ve got a pretty solid starting OL. Not sure if Ickey will be ready for LT out of the gate. He’s a bit undersized at T but he’s solid for LG. BC is too light and struggles on the interior but did a serviceable job at LT last season. I expect this will be how it looks for most of the season barring injuries.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

How fat is Deonte Brown?

• Pie 1

His competition is Elflein/Deonte/Jordan/Mays/Daley, all have more guard experience but obvious flaws. Mays has the size you want but didn't live up to his HS hype, who knows what Campen can get out of any of these guys. As long as they cut Cam Erving I'll be satisfied with whatever Campen wants

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

How fat is Deonte Brown?

According to the Panther's website Deonte is at 335lb. I'm not sure if that weight was recorded at the end of last season or at OTAs (or even his actual recorded weight). Hopefully he will be shape and ready to compete coming into camp.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He didn’t look in shape at mini-camp, not even close. I still don’t know why people care so much about him. He’s been out of shape since the Senior Bowl and hasn’t changed yet.

Deonte was good at Bama. He did not get pushed into the QB and he routinely rooted guys out of there gaps. His performance was worth way better than a 6th round grade. His trouble with conditioning (unless there is truth to the suggestion about other off-field issues) is his biggest determent. 

I had forgot about Mays- He seems like a real good kid with some upside. Maybe Camden can get something out of him and Deonte.

• Beer 2