• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King talks about David Tepper...

Mr. Scot

...in his latest Football Morning in America column (link)

8. I think my favorite passage of the week was Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk on the third David Tepper/Carolina Panthers executive this year leaving the organization. The mayhem around the Panthers extends to the failed practice facility and office complex the team stopped in mid-construction after a dispute over it with officials in Rock Hill, S.C. The organization looks like a mess. Writes Florio:

The off-field turmoil in the organization meshes with the team’s on-field struggles. Tepper has tried to spend his way into contention, spending big on head coach Matt Rhule, who enters 2022 on the hot seat (even if Tepper won’t admit it). Tepper also has pinballed his way through a variety of quarterbacks in search of a franchise player who will elevate the team to perennial playoff qualifier. Since 2020, the team has tried (and failed) to make it work with Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold, and Cam Newton. Recently, the Panthers traded for Baker Mayfield, a buy-low proposition that Tepper hopes will cause the team to soar into one of the seven postseason berths in the NFC.

His experience through nearly five years as an NFL owner underscores the reality that no amount of success in the line of work that positions someone to buy an NFL team guarantees success. Financially, the Panthers will print as much cash as every other franchise. Competitively, Tepper’s team continues to be an also-ran. The natural frustration for a multi-billionaire who has previously seen everything he touch turn to gold but who now can’t buy his way to the top of the standings may be the common denominator in so many employees being run off.

9. I think Tepper is learning—as jillionaires Stephen Ross in Miami, Jimmy Haslam in Cleveland and Woody Johnson in New York have learned before him—that no matter how much money you walk in the door with, your team will never be good without a consistent quarterback.

As much as anything here, King is talking about Florio talking about Tepper, but he endorses Florio's thoughts - calling them his "favorite passage of the week" - and adds his own take as well.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

9 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

There is a learning curve with every new owner, as there is with every new coach. 

It is frustrating being in the midst of this, but we will get out of it.

The thing about this particular learning curve is that not everybody learns.

There are guys who have been NFL owners way longer than Tepper who still haven't pulled their heads out of their asses.

It's not guaranteed that Tepper ever will.

• Pie 5

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The thing about this particular learning curve is that not everybody learns.

There are guys who have been NFL owners way longer than Tepper who still haven't pulled their heads out of their asses.

It's not guaranteed that Tepper ever will.

The soccer organization and Rock Hill facilities’ fiascos aside, I’m hoping the changes on the football side are an encouraging sign that Tepper is somewhat coming around and things are on a upward trend for the Panthers at least.

Of course, whether or not that translates to success on the field remains to be seen.

9 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

The soccer organization and Rock Hill facilities’ fiascos aside, I’m hoping the changes on the football side are an encouraging sign that Tepper is somewhat coming around and things are on a upward trend for the Panthers at least.

Of course, whether or not that translates to success on the field remains to be seen.

A lot of us agree that the best thing Tepper can do for the football side of things is to be as uninvolved as humanly possible.

• Pie 3

But didn't Tepper say this could take 5 years to build a consistent winner? Year 4 about to start. Let's give him the 5 before judging. Everyone learns along the way as being an owner and HC of a NFL franchise is HUGE and full of pressure. I've hired people that say they have the same vision of me, only later to find out they don't. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, musicman said:

But didn't Tepper say this could take 5 years to build a consistent winner? Year 4 about to start. Let's give him the 5 before judging. Everyone learns along the way as being an owner and HC of a NFL franchise is HUGE and full of pressure. I've hired people that say they have the same vision of me, only later to find out they don't. 

Technically this would be Tepper's Year 5, Rhule's Year 3.

My biggest issue with Tepper is unfortunately the same one I had with Richardson, specifically that he trusts the wrong people. Richardson trusted Marty Hurney. So did Tepper, which is a big reason why we ended up with Matt Rhule, who Tepper also mistakenly trusted to an even higher degree than he did Marty.

It's no exaggeration to say that having faith in the wrong people is the absolute worst mistake an NFL owner can make. Tepper has now not only made that mistake twice, but made it on a huge scale by giving Matt Rhule a massive contract and unprecedented control.

If he wants to regain the trust of the fans, the biggest thing he needs to do is take himself out of the equation when it comes to football decisions.

I'm not convinced his ego is going to allow him to do that.

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, musicman said:

It might take years to build yourself into a Brady era Patriot dynasty.  True.  

But it doesn’t take years and years to win in the NFL.  League is designed so you don’t win 5 games every season.  

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

...in his latest Football Morning in America column (link)

8. I think my favorite passage of the week was Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk on the third David Tepper/Carolina Panthers executive this year leaving the organization. The mayhem around the Panthers extends to the failed practice facility and office complex the team stopped in mid-construction after a dispute over it with officials in Rock Hill, S.C. The organization looks like a mess. Writes Florio:

The off-field turmoil in the organization meshes with the team’s on-field struggles. Tepper has tried to spend his way into contention, spending big on head coach Matt Rhule, who enters 2022 on the hot seat (even if Tepper won’t admit it). Tepper also has pinballed his way through a variety of quarterbacks in search of a franchise player who will elevate the team to perennial playoff qualifier. Since 2020, the team has tried (and failed) to make it work with Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold, and Cam Newton. Recently, the Panthers traded for Baker Mayfield, a buy-low proposition that Tepper hopes will cause the team to soar into one of the seven postseason berths in the NFC.

His experience through nearly five years as an NFL owner underscores the reality that no amount of success in the line of work that positions someone to buy an NFL team guarantees success. Financially, the Panthers will print as much cash as every other franchise. Competitively, Tepper’s team continues to be an also-ran. The natural frustration for a multi-billionaire who has previously seen everything he touch turn to gold but who now can’t buy his way to the top of the standings may be the common denominator in so many employees being run off.

9. I think Tepper is learning—as jillionaires Stephen Ross in Miami, Jimmy Haslam in Cleveland and Woody Johnson in New York have learned before him—that no matter how much money you walk in the door with, your team will never be good without a consistent quarterback.

As much as anything here, King is talking about Florio talking about Tepper, but he endorses Florio's thoughts - calling them his "favorite passage of the week" - and adds his own take as well.

It seems like those two statements directly conflict with one another.  Bashing him for taking pretty low cost swings for a qb then also saying he has to learn he cant win without a qb...

• Pie 3