• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule PC today ahead of training camp

Captain Morgan

Augusta Stone
@augustalstone
·
40m
Matt Rhule says he's going into training camp looking for an offensive "identity." 

Said he wants to identify O-line starters and, obviously, who the quarterback will be

Joe Person
@josephperson
·
41m
Rhule says three goals are as follows:
1-Go from good to great on D
2-Establish offensive identity
3-Have special teams affect winning

Rhule says he showed up at BoA Stadium last night and ran into Matt Corral there working out.

Matt Rhule talking about his priorities for camp, first mentions that their defense has to "go from good to great." For all the QB attention, that's going to be a significant piece if they want to improve.

Matt Rhule said the Panthers will decide how QB reps are split up in training camp after he has a face-to-face conversation with all four QBs in the room together following tomorrow's reporting day. Says the coaching staff has a plan for it.

Matt Rhule says the defense has to go from "good to great . . . the first thing we have to become a better red zone defense.''

Matt Rhule will have walk through workouts in early morning and now the start time for the full practice will be closer to midday, which is hotter. But he noted walk through in afternoons as it was last year was almost unbearable.

Edited by Captain Morgan
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Matt Rhule expects Shaq Thompson to start camp on the PUP list. Says Thompson had "cleanout of the knee" and he expects him to be back in a few weeks. Doesn't sound like a big concern for the Panthers LB.

Rhule says second-year DT Daviyon Nixon should be full-go. Nixon had season-ending knee surgery about midway through rookie year.

Matt Rhule on Baker Mayfield: "There’s no doubt, he has to get here and learn the offense. He has to go from level 1 to level 4, which is mastery and confident.'' He also noted Mayfield has had to learn new offenses before.

lfCvW55l_x96.jpg

Rhule said Darnold has been an "ultimate team guy" in regards to the acquisition of Baker Mayfield. Loves how he's worked this offseason and looks forward to the competition. They've worked out together here in Charlotte before camp.

David Newton
@DNewtonespn
·
27m
If Matt Rhule has a favorite to win the quarterback job between Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold he's not saying. "My job is not to pick the starting quarterback. The players will do that with the way they play. It’ll be a fun ride. When we know we will know.’’

Matt Rhule sets the record straight on the 2017 game between his Baylor team and Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma and the pre-game skirmish. He initially thought Mayfield started the skirmish, but one of his quarterbacks admitted he started it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On paper, and maybe I am drunk on preseason optimism, but I think we are better than last year.  I worry about DE/OLB, Left OL, QB, CMC's health, Anderson's mental condition, and linebacker--not many people worrying about that--but I think we need a stud MLB and I do not see it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

Rhule says three goals are as follows:
1-Go from good to great on D
2-Establish offensive identity
3-Have special teams affect winning

• If he thinks last year's defense was good, he's got a lot of learning to do.
  • As Waldo posted, just try to score some points. Worry about an identity after you're able to score.
  • Yeah...the panthers have been wanting that to happen for years. I expect they'll still be waiting after this season too.
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1