• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Brown a bust?

6 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

You're forgetting that a lot of Huddlers have no idea there's a difference in responsibility between a DE and a DT.

I think Kawann Short getting lots of sacks for a few years has our DT expectations skewed. I think currently Aaron Donald/Cam Heyward/Chris Jones are the only DT's getting around 10 sacks a year, and they run you close to $20M annually. I think pressures is a better marker, unfortunately Brown regressed in the category

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Now we know that herbert would have  been worth moving up for---Fields in 2021 over Horn?

Horn looks like the real deal at DB.

Obviously Fields went to the Bears and it's not fair to judge him after that trash fire, but Horn looked better as a DB than Fields did as a QB. Will need a few seasons but I'm comfortable with that pick.

And yeah, now we know. If we're playing this game lets trade back into the 6th round in 2000 and grab some QB who split time at Michigan. 

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, Rubi said:

For being a top 10 pick - productivity hasn’t matched the draft slot. It is what it is. 

We grabbed Matt Ioannidis for like $6M, maybe slightly different roles but it's pretty easy to get decent starting DT's for cheap.  I feel like you want a top 10 pick to be someone who would eventually demand big money while you get high level production for a cheap 4 years. Shouldn't wait til year 3 or 4 for a top 10 pick to be a game changer, all the sudden it's not a cheap investment

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Not being a smartass. Legit question as last he looked down right bad in games. Got pushed around and honestly looked uninspired. This guy was drafted to be a perennial all pro and game changer and he’s been the complete opposite.  

He is not trending in the right direction and anybody that thinks he has lived up to even the  smallest of expectations doesn’t know sh*t about football or this team. Calling this season a big year for him is an understatement. 

Edited by 4Corners
  • Pie 1

5 hours ago, rippadonn said:

No. Misused by an amateur athletics coach.

Honestly, the biggest advantage Brown has going for him now is the Rhule coaching staff excuse. It’s almost like a get out of jail free card. Still, if he is average/JAG this season in year 3….Not looking good 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Rubi said:

For being a top 10 pick - productivity hasn’t matched the draft slot. It is what it is. 

Dude I loved the pick at the time. But he has been a disappointment so far, and his little snarky comments on Twitter mocking the average panthers fan who doesn’t make millions of dollars to play a game (and not be very good at it in his case) really was not smart and rubbed me the wrong way. Hope he learned from it.  

• Pie 1

No. That’s ludicrous. He’s not a flashy position. Same way Star was under appreciated Brown is now being under appreciated. He’s not as good as Star, but it’s the same lack of understanding that causes people to poo on him. He’s solid, still young, plenty of time to get even better. 

4 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

Absolutely not. He has no one next to him that can take on blocks. He is basically forced to play nose tackle. I dont think he will become a super star, but he will definitely make some pro bowls and is well above average. He needs another big guy next to him. Whats he supposed to do with Burns, IIaniodis, and Hynes next to him? He is going to have to be the only one taking on all the blocks to at least try to stop the run. Also- takes on a ton of doubles when teams run against us. 

I’ve never seen him do anything on an NFL field that backs up any of what you just said. Make multiple pro bowls are you kidding me lol. Above average? Who is an average DT you are comparing him to? His on field production is no where near where it should be for his expectations and draft slot. He was a beast in college at a good program and a good conference. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

He can't possibly be a bust, people assured me by not trading down and staying put you were guaranteed one of the elite talents that were a sure thing.

All kidding aside, just by getting on the field his first-year fans automatically think he is playing great, goes for most rookies.  Second year they play about the same and fans think they have regressed.

Honestly, he probably wasn't as good as most people think his first year, and not as bad as people think his second year.  

Based on his draft position I'm sure most were hoping for me, this year should tell everyone a lot.  It's not crazy for players to improve from year 2-3.  

• Beer 1

Has Brown under preformed on expectations? Yes

is Brown a bust? No

Derrick Brown has been our best DT on the roster since he was drafted, played solid but not great. If you wanna see a bust just think about Vernon Butler… draft picks that provide zero value back are busts. Derrick Brown has provided us value as an above average DT, it sometimes takes big guys time to develop, so let’s just hope he stays motivated and can meet his potential.

10 hours ago, 4Corners said:

I’ve never seen him do anything on an NFL field that backs up any of what you just said. Make multiple pro bowls are you kidding me lol. Above average? Who is an average DT you are comparing him to? His on field production is no where near where it should be for his expectations and draft slot. He was a beast in college at a good program and a good conference. 

I agree with you 100%! He made the comment last year about fans bagging his groceries getting yelled at and booted like they do him. He’s a mental midget up there for such a big guy and he was repeatedly blown off the ball during the run game. I think he’s already a bust but this year will prove it

• Pie 1