• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The WR Competition

davos

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

We talk about the PS like it's a foregone conclusion we can put someone there.  I don't think it is.  Anyone on our roster who might be PS eligible would likely be claimed on waivers before we could put them there.

Kind of doubt that unless it was a bigger name like Higgins or Zylstra. If memory serves me correct, the only player that we had claimed last year after cuts was Grier (Cowboys). I believe Slye was eventually signed later by the Texans (before he was later released).

Saunders was were safely on the practice squad last year though he did get a couple games. Keith Kirkwood was also on the practice squad and like Saunders got a few games.

I’d be willing to bet that unless one of them (Saunders or Smith) absolutely tears up the preseason, they’d both clear rather easily. For as much as we like our guys, there’s 31 other teams out there that feel the same way about some of the bottom of the roster guys on their team. Additionally, teams are much more willing to invest in players that they have spent draft capital on or accrued years with. Also, it’s not like another team can claim one of our guys and then store them on the PS, they’d have to make the active roster… I don’t see that happening with either Smith or Saunders. It’s just too easy for teams to invest in what they already have and what they already know when it comes to filling out the bottom of the roster.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Disagree with some here on Roberts.  He is really good at something we were very bad at last season.  He stays

Wouldn’t necessarily say that… He was good at KR’s but his average compared to Abdullah’s would have only netted the Panthers 5 yards, as far as PR’s… Erickson was muchhhh better.

5 yards isn’t exactly worth wasting a roster spot, especially when the majority of kickoff’s go for touchbacks.

Shi Smith only got the opportunity to return one kick last year but if he (or Saunders) shows out in preseason as a returner then Roberts is gone.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Wouldn’t necessarily say that… He was good at KR’s but his average compared to Abdullah’s would only net the Panthers 5 yards, as far as PR’s… Erickson was muchhhh better.

5 yards isn’t exactly worth wasting a roster spot, especially when the majority of kickoff’s go for touchbacks.

Shi Smith only got the opportunity to return one kick last year but if he (or Saunders) shows out in preseason as a returner then Roberts is gone.

We disagree which is fine.  I thought Shi had legal issues…did those just go away?

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Doesn’t appear that there is any new info on his legal issues but I’d imagine since he’s out on the field practicing that he’s got a chance to make the roster.

I personally am really hoping Higgins plays well cuz I don’t like the depth at WR.  Robbie wasn’t very good last season for me.  I see a bunch of fringe guys right now after him

TMJ has to improve quickly IMO

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

14 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Doesn’t appear that there is any new info on his legal issues but I’d imagine since he’s out on the field practicing that he’s got a chance to make the roster.

Shi's issue was the weed which is kinda meh these days and the handgun charge is NC version of concealed weapon which is a misdemeanor so I can see a plea deal.

Not down playing it but a lot of counties are getting away with going to trial over weed unless its a real middle of the no where county.

12 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I personally am really hoping Higgins plays well cuz I don’t like the depth at WR.  Robbie wasn’t very good last season for me.  I see a bunch of fringe guys right now after him

Agreed. Remove DJ and it’s a lot of unproven guys, Robbie (whatever version shows up each week), a career average PR in Roberts, & Higgins (has flashed but is a 1 yr deal and we all remember DJ Hackett)

TMJ needs to prove he can make an impact. If he doesn’t pan out, this is going to be a thin group with only DJ in place come 2023.

WR could quickly become a big need. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Shi's issue was the weed which is kinda meh these days and the handgun charge is NC version of concealed weapon which is a misdemeanor so I can see a plea deal.

Not down playing it but a lot of counties are getting away with going to trial over weed unless its a real middle of the no where county.

Figured as much, I don’t know all the nuances of the laws surrounding pot and gun charges but I imagine that they aren’t as serious as Damien Wilson’s charges.

40 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Two years ago, when Mayfield had a really solid year, Higgins had 600 receiving yards and 4 TD’s. I think that’s fairly in line with a rock solid WR3. I’d also agree a lot rides on Robbie not being complete ass this year. We need him to get back to his 2020 ways.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

22 hours ago, davos said:

My best guess is we carry one more than usual come cut time: (1) DJ Moore (2) Robbie (3) Higgins (4) Terrace (5) CJ Saunders (6) Shi (7) Roberts

22 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I hope Terrace makes a jump just given his draft position and upside. Hard to argue the  7 mentioned by OP.  If we carry six Shi may be the odd man out but it’s early yet and I am far from a professional evaluator.  Just my .02

These are likely the top 7 unless Zylstra has a hellova camp. Rambo makes PS. My serious question is WTH has Higgins ever done to beat out Shi, whom I really have high hopes for. We could stash Shi safely on PS probably, he is all college potential at this point.