• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I see Sam to the Rams possibly in the near future...

musicman

10 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

It would be our pick that would be given. Probably a 2nd or 3rd for someone to take that contract.

We don't need someone to take the contract. We can afford to eat it, if it meant getting a decent draft pick in return.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'll be shocked if we get anything for Sam but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Same.

I have to agree with the others that are saying it would be good for Darnold's career, though.

My question would be whether or not Rhule wants to trade him.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • The D 1

My lingering suspicion since the Baker trade was the "QB competition" was purely to inflate Sam's value. That the splitting reps, and rotating him in with the ones, and the general act that Sam could potentially be a starting QB was to advertise him. So when a starter inevitably goes down with an injury before the season starts, it's 1-800-CALL-FITT.

I also don't expect we'd get much, but if we could get a 6th, and get a portion of his salary off-loaded, it's a huge win for the Panthers.

Frankly, we should all be praying from Sam to ball out during training camp and the preseason.

• Pie 1

It's really not a farfetched idea. If they'd give the Panthers a 4th or 5th, take a chunk of the salary off the books, it's a win win for both teams. Same kinda deal the Panthers did for Baker. Darnold might really have success on the Rams sitting behind Stafford and learning from McVay for a few seasons. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That actually could possibly work better than normal maybe perhaps????

If Darnold has any chance whatsoever of turning the corner and becoming a decent to good quarterback, it's probably going to have to be with somebody like McVay or Andy Reid.

Nobody we've got is on the level of those guys.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, Captroop said:

My lingering suspicion since the Baker trade was the "QB competition" was purely to inflate Sam's value. That the splitting reps, and rotating him in with the ones, and the general act that Sam could potentially be a starting QB was to advertise him. So when a starter inevitably goes down with an injury before the season starts, it's 1-800-CALL-FITT.

I also don't expect we'd get much, but if we could get a 6th, and get a portion of his salary off-loaded, it's a huge win for the Panthers.

Frankly, we should all be praying from Sam to ball out during training camp and the preseason.

It just seems dumb. It's not like there isn't a poo ton of film of Darnold sucking at QB in the NFL out there. He's not some unknown variable.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Rams don't have a lot of cap space, but could eat 5m of the 20m owed Sam.

They are in win now mode.  Every game could be the difference in a wild card spot vs. home field.  Gotta believe Darnold is far more likely to come off the bench and win a game or two than some dude named Woolford.

Rams also have a lot of late round picks and a number of likely comp picks.  Take a 6th and $5m for Sam and call it a day.

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not like there isn't a poo ton of film of Darnold sucking at QB in the NFL out there. He's not some unknown variable.

While I agree, there is film of Sam sucking, there is also film of Sam doing well.  While he has not proven he can be a consistent winner over a full season, he has had flashes of pretty good QB play.  I think he'll have a fairly long career as a back-up/spot starter starting this year.

Bottom line - he is not worthless.  We just need to extract what we can and move along.

• Pie 3