• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I see Sam to the Rams possibly in the near future...

musicman

I’m seeing a lot of wishful thinking.

The number one qualification for a backup QB in the NFL is to not screw things up when you are pressed into service.  In other words, do not make bad decisions with the football.  They do not have to be heroes, but they do have to be steady.  The exception is the backup who is the future starter (Corral??).

The mission is to not hamper the rest of the team.  Teams that are extremely QB-centric in wins are screwed when the starter goes down…..period.  Unless the defense or the running game can step up and take the pressure off, they live or die with the starting QB.

The Rams are not especially that team.  Stafford is obviously important, but they are capable of staying on the field, be competitive, and be in a position to win if he goes down.  The Chiefs, on the other hand, are much more dependent on Mahomes.

Darnold is not steady.  Darnold does not process information well and turn that into good decisions.  He’d have a better future if he processed information well but had physical limitations.  But, he is the opposite.

Edited by Sgt Schultz
  • Beer 3

The sooner the better. Maybe he can learn to be a quality backup...or not. Just as long as those wasted snaps go to Corral.

If anything does happen with Sam I am expecting us to eat his entire contract with nothing but a later round pick at best. Sadly I don't know if the 'competition' is as much of a farce as it looks like and that Rhule really still thinks there is anything to Darnold more than we saw last year.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The sooner the better. Maybe he can learn to be a quality backup...or not. Just as long as those wasted snaps go to Corral.

If anything does happen with Sam I am expecting us to eat his entire contract with nothing but a later round pick at best. Sadly I don't know if the 'competition' is as much of a farce as it looks like and that Rhule really still thinks there is anything to Darnold more than we saw last year.

That is my fear, too.  Rhule holds the idea that he can outsmart others or sees things that nobody else sees.  He does see things nobody else sees, but there is a reason for that and it is not what he thinks.....and it has not ended well thus far.

• Beer 2

31 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Rams don't have a lot of cap space, but could eat 5m of the 20m owed Sam.

They are in win now mode.  Every game could be the difference in a wild card spot vs. home field.  Gotta believe Darnold is far more likely to come off the bench and win a game or two than some dude named Woolford.

Rams also have a lot of late round picks and a number of likely comp picks.  Take a 6th and $5m for Sam and call it a day.

That means that we get Mayfield (an upgrade at least) for basically nothing. AND gets Corral a notch higher on the depth chart. It's a win win for us and a win for them.

Lets Do This GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

That is my fear, too.  Rhule holds the idea that he can outsmart others or sees things that nobody else sees.  He does see things nobody else sees, but there is a reason for that and it is not what he thinks.....and it has not ended well thus far.

It's one of the many reasons why I just want to see Rhule fired so we can start talking about improving with actual hope. We will see. I would be ecstatic to see Sam getting moved for a 7th at this point. 

• Beer 1

The #1 attribute for a good backup is being calm, cool, and collected when called upon. Darnold cracks mentally under minimal pressure. He might be a backup for a couple years but he’ll be out of the league before he turns 30 

• Beer 1

The bulk of the team sucked last year. Only Panthers fans are--rightly or wronly--putting the bulk of the blame on Darnold. Darnold's perceived potential across the league has not exactly run dry.

But we need this to happen soon...

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2