• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The other top tackles...

Mr. Scot

18 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I know that's the reality of the situation and may play out that way, but it doesn't address the disappointment that Ikem isn't plug and play at LT.  Either we didn't hit the right pick, or we are handling him wrong.  We had our choice of every tackle in the draft.   Either way, it doesn't sit right.  Ikem was one of the huddle's favorites, so of course they are going to jump to we are handling it wrong.

I wasn't as impressed with BC last year, but part of that was we moved him up and down the line playing musical chairs as people got hurt.   He's had a year and was dominant in college, so we'll see.

Myles Garrett is there waiting for us in five weeks.  They need to figure it out fast.

Icky’s ceiling is through the roof and his floor (as already stated) is a great LG. Cross is a LT or burst, and the Alabama LT has some injury flags. Icky was the best option IMO. We just happen to have a player in BC who might be a solid LT, but not LG and we can use him until Icky is ready to made the jump then trade him for a nice return. This is all assuming BC is solid. He might look good in TC and struggle to where Icky will make the switch sooner. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Hope you're right.  I hope this is because we have 2 very good players and one has made a leap.

I wasn't impressed with BC last year, even at LT.  So I guess we'll see.

Curious, most offensive linemen aren't pop off the screen impressive.... your level of anxiety over this is way too much.... Yes Rhule is probably an idiot at this point but it's a week into camp relax. 

Pass protection for an offensive tackle isn't about if you are going to lose..... it's about losing slowly.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

@MHS831 already had a good solution. If BC is looking great at LT then start letting Icky get reps at LG for now. BC at LT and Icky at LG is a solid left side if BC is playing so well. We can slide Icky over to LT as he gets better and possibly trade BC next season if he proves to be a solid LT. 

I am still thinking of calling 9-1-1 if my chest pains don't subside. 

I never thought I would see the day when us potentially trading a solid LT would be seriously mentioned.  I am stunned.

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Icky’s ceiling is through the roof and his floor (as already stated) is a great LG. Cross is a LT or burst, and the Alabama LT has some injury flags. Icky was the best option IMO. We just happen to have a player in BC who might be a solid LT, but not LG and we can use him until Icky is ready to made the jump then trade him for a nice return. This is all assuming BC is solid. He might look good in TC and struggle to where Icky will make the switch sooner. 

After reading this I guess you are ok with Rhules five wins annual ceiling because that’s what that statement sounded like. If he struggles we’ll assume those are losses. Him struggling would be strip sacks fumbles coming off his side. A couple of those change a game real quick. That whole trade him scenario is far fetched, he couldn’t crack the starting lineup last season and we had one of the worst rated LT playing. So after a couple preseason games and what 3 games we trade him? And then finally give our franchise the time to develop into his new role? Or he plays all year and we basically sit the first offensive player taken in the draft? You said a nice return how much football does he have to play to get us a nice return kinda determines if we wasted our franchise LT first year?

1 minute ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Curious, most offensive linemen aren't pop off the screen impressive.... your level of anxiety over this is way too much.... Yes Rhule is probably an idiot at this point but it's a week into camp relax. 

Pass protection for an offensive tackle isn't about if you are going to lose..... it's about losing slowly.

They pop when they give up the sack or QB hit. I rewind after sacks to see where it came from.  BC's weakness is reading and adjusting to blitz packages.  If its just the end, he's pretty good in pass pro.  If the end drops back and the LB or DB blitzes, he helps double team the guard as the blitzer waltzes past.  Its not just BC, but those were the sacks I saw.

I was expecting our #6 pick to start at the position we drafted him for.  He's not practicing with the 1s in that position, so I'm disappointed...not anxious. 

That said, that doesn't mean he won't get there. 

37 minutes ago, trucpfan said:

After reading this I guess you are ok with Rhules five wins annual ceiling because that’s what that statement sounded like. If he struggles we’ll assume those are losses. Him struggling would be strip sacks fumbles coming off his side. A couple of those change a game real quick. That whole trade him scenario is far fetched, he couldn’t crack the starting lineup last season and we had one of the worst rated LT playing. So after a couple preseason games and what 3 games we trade him? And then finally give our franchise the time to develop into his new role? Or he plays all year and we basically sit the first offensive player taken in the draft? You said a nice return how much football does he have to play to get us a nice return kinda determines if we wasted our franchise LT first year?

*This is all assuming BC is solid was a very important line in my post. If he is and Icky needs some more time LG for Icky starting off is ok. He is our future at the position with a massive (pun intended ceiling). If starting him at LG is the quickest way for him to see the field then I understand the thought process. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I am still thinking of calling 9-1-1 if my chest pains don't subside. 

I never thought I would see the day when us potentially trading a solid LT would be seriously mentioned.  I am stunned.

Lol right? It’s under the huge assumption that BC is a solid LT (skeptical) and Icky because a great LT (hopeful). If we somehow had 2 then trade the older one with less potential for a nice return. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

They pop when they give up the sack or QB hit. I rewind after sacks to see where it came from.  BC's weakness is reading and adjusting to blitz packages.  If its just the end, he's pretty good in pass pro.  If the end drops back and the LB or DB blitzes, he helps double team the guard as the blitzer waltzes past.  Its not just BC, but those were the sacks I saw.

I was expecting our #6 pick to start at the position we drafted him for.  He's not practicing with the 1s in that position, so I'm disappointed...not anxious. 

That said, that doesn't mean he won't get there. 

Blitz pickup is typically somthing you acredit to the C or the QB whoever is making the line calls, not to mention sacks aren't a great indicator of how an OT is performing overall if you allow pressure on 40% of the snaps and surrender no sacks you are playing like sh*t despite it not showing up on a stat sheet. 

I expected Ickey to start as well but again it's a week into TC far from the end of the world, if you do some digging on Ickey his one negative was that he needs to refine his PB technique.... Campen is a very good line coach I trust Ickey will be a top 5 tackle in the next season or two. 

Also Christenson played four positions on the line last year due to the constant new line of the week scheme he gave up 1 sack in the last four weeks at LT. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Look at is this way if Christensen is serviceable Christenson-Icky-Bozeman-Corbett-Moton is a massive upgrade and from LG to RT absolutely road grading as well.

"On paper" we look improved and even serviceable. We have weapons and possibly a QB who can get the ball to them. But I caution any Panthers fan that has lived through many past offseasons to wait on popping any champagne bottles about the oline until we see consistency.

• Beer 2