• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you trust Rhule’ s player evaluations?

jackson113

2 hours ago, gofightwin said:

Based on last year's o-line evaluation, no. 

Based on moving Chinn from DROY candidate to JAG, no.

Based on cutting Perryman for Carter last year, no.

Based on TMJ inactive 1/4 the year, no.

Base on Ian Thomas, no.

I mean, what "evaluation" did he get right last year?  Kicker? 

And that took 3 swings to get right 

• Pie 2

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, these statement come from internal Panthers sources, not outside people.

This is one thing that's really, really important to think about with journalism, especially these days.

"Many of the 20-plus players, staffers, team and league sources interviewed for this story believe.... "

This is open ended enough because of "league sources" that it could be 1 guy with the Panthers out of these 20+ sources. It's worded so broadly to make it not entirely reliable.

Personally, I doubt that's the case and it's a strong article. But his wording in reference to his sources leaves doubt. He should have worded it in a firmer way. He should have defined "staffers" a bit better. A janitor is a "staffer". I'm critiquing here, mind you, I don't think he used a janitor as a source. The article is pretty deep, it's just I wish he didn't leave his sources so broad to make it questionable. With an article like that, you can't leave an avenue to poke holes through it.

Edited by Luciu5

1 minute ago, Luciu5 said:

This is one thing that's really, really important to think about with journalism, especially these days.

"Many of the 20-plus players, staffers, team and league sources interviewed for this story believe.... "

This is open ended enough because of "league sources" that it could be 1 guy with the Panthers out of these 20+ sources. It's worded so broadly to make it not entirely reliable.

Personally, I doubt that's the case and it's a strong article. But his wording in reference to his sources leaves doubt. He should have worded it in a firmer way. He should have defined "staffers" a bit better. A janitor is a "staffer". I'm critiquing here, mind you, I don't think he used a janitor as a source. The article is pretty deep, it's just I wish he didn't leave his sources so broad to make it questionable. With an article like that, you can't leave an avenue to poke holes through it.

"League sources" pretty frequently turn out to be agents.

Framing it this way is kind of necessary though because Person and others don't want to give away the identities of team employees who might have said negative things.

The best part of all that is the description of last year as a clusterf--k.  It was a textbook example.

Unlike most of the clusterf--ks I've been involved with, the guy leading it was not promoted.  I guess that is something positive although I am not sure what he would be promoted to. 

Rhule seems to look for things in players no other NFL team places a high priority on.  His allegiance to Temple and Baylor players is hard to miss.  I think all that goes back to not appreciating that this is the NFL, not college.  And in the words of Jerry Glanville, NFL is going to stand for Not For Long if this keeps up.

It has been said to death, but the handling of the OL last year was off the charts bad. 

Obviously, Darnold was a whiff, but that looks worse because of what we sent to the Jets to get him and then exercising his 5th year.  As I said in another thread, if the Darnold deal looked more like the Mayfield deal, at least a few of the pitchforks and torches would still be in storage.

So, I don't have a lot of trust in his player evaluations.  The drafts have largely been decent, but who to play, where, and why just seem out of sync with reality. 

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Y'all have invented a ton of sh!t for sure, but most of it is huddle fan fiction.

Rhule is a micromanager. Other than message board nerds guessing, where has that been reported?  When he said publicly that we needed to run the ball more and we ran it less that Sunday, why was that? Did he not micromanage hard enough or did Brady suck? Are we suggesting that Rhule managed the offense, called out Brady for his own bad play design then fired Brady for doing exactly what he was told?

QFT. 

He has been on record.more.times than I can count that he let's his coordinators and coaches coach. 

Never once  has there been any other report. They just blame enjoy blaming anything negative on Rhule, while.ignoring the struggles this team.has had to deal with and overcome. 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

It would be more believable it the micromanaging part was written in year one or before the end of last season.  Instead it comes out at the end of a disastrous year that Rhule "micromanages".  Sounds like post loss bitching by some low level staffer.  There may be some truth to it.  I don't personally know. 

Huddler's will dismiss any positives in the article like Gilmore's or Robbie's quotes. 

In the end it doesn't matter.  The hating on the HC will continue until we win more and I hope we do.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

It would be more believable it the micromanaging part was written in year one or before the end of last season.  Instead it comes out at the end of a disastrous year that Rhule "micromanages".  Sounds like post loss bitching by some low level staffer.  There may be some truth to it.  I don't personally know. 

Huddler's will dismiss any positives in the article like Gilmore's or Robbie's quotes. 

In the end it doesn't matter.  The hating on the HC will continue until we win more and I hope we do.

Yeah, I had not seen that article, but if Person posted an article using unnamed sources with vague job descriptions saying Rhule had the sharpest football mind they'd ever seen, I would take that with a grain of salt too.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

So all these bad decisions in training camp  ( Ickey/BC, Corrall, Darnold etc.) coming directly from Campen and McAdoo? I though they had NFL experience and would do foolish Rhule-like things.

Who says they are bad decisions? Playing folks at different positions is an intentional effort to teach guys multiple roles so that in the event of injury they can shift folks around. They have been clear that is the plan all along. The fact you think it is wrong says more about your understanding of what they are trying to accomplish than it does about them.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Who says they are bad decisions? Playing folks at different positions is an intentional effort to teach guys multiple roles so that in the event of injury they can shift folks around. They have been clear that is the plan all along. The fact you think it is wrong says more about your understanding of what they are trying to accomplish than it does about them.

I agree, my post was sarcastic. If McAdoo/Campen had come out and said that this was their strategy, most of the huddle would think it's brilliant, but since the consensus is that these decisions are Rhule's, of course they are the dumbest mistakes ever.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

we will see.   

My stance is that just micromangers are what they are.  That's not unique to Rhule. They don't choose when to do it and when not.  I mean staffing could force anyone's hand.  I mean, non-micromanagers can at times be forced into that role.  I concede that.  But it was always Rhule's handpicked staffed to begin with so IMO so I feel that rules some of that thought out. 

I mean, even if the GM did force a better NFL staff on him...I'm not sure I buy Rhule can sit back (in a make it break it season) and let his fate be in the decisions made by others (guys he didn't really want). 

And my career is predicated on the idea that people can change, learn and be different if shown the error of their ways and have sufficient motivation.

And he will have to sit back and watch because after 2 years of 5 win seasons he has to know his approach wasnt working.