• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers waive long snapper Thomas Fletcher

4 minutes ago, bandu said:

yeah but the thing s with Thomas Fletcher is that there was what like a  a 95% chance that he was in all actuality going to become a UDFA..so with that said I think it's the fact that we just basically threw away a 6th round pick for no logical  reason whatsoever that bothers people and not so much the fact that we didn't draft a quality player in the 6th round..

but most 6th rounders don't fare much better than UDFAs. It's really not like you're losing out on much of anything. it's all a crapshoot that late in the draft. they are essentially disposable. we didn't know 100% what JJ was going to be doing that year and beyond so I can kind of understand using that essentially disposable pick on a position that we might need that is kind of (barely) important. 

Of all the issues I have with rhule & co., this is waaaaaaay down the list.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, bandu said:

yeah but the thing s with Thomas Fletcher is that there was what like a  a 95% chance that he was in all actuality going to become a UDFA..so with that said I think it's the fact that we just basically threw away a 6th round pick for no logical  reason whatsoever that bothers people and not so much the fact that we didn't draft a quality player in the 6th round..

yeah but you still don't draft a UDFA because  there is no logical rhyme or reasoning for it whatsoever 

9 minutes ago, bandu said:

yeah but you still don't draft a UDFA because  there is no logical rhyme or reasoning for it whatsoever 

If you want a guy, you draft him.  You don't say "well, I'm pretty sure he'll go undrafted so I'll take my chances".  Hell, Bill Belichick takes projected UDFAs in like the second round every year.

If you use a 6th/7th round pick, then you also don't have to worry about competing with 31 other teams to sign that player.  It's the same reason teams will often trade a 6th/7th round pick to a team for a player that is on the verge of being cut.  That way, you're guaranteed to get your guy.

That being said, this was obviously a bad pick.  I'm just speaking to the broad concept of drafting projected UDFAs.

• Pie 4

On 8/4/2022 at 1:59 PM, thunderraiden said:

Thats on the doctors. Teams take players off the board based on doctors, irregardless of tape. Its why Carson Strong went undrafted too.

Smith was on blood thinners and anticoagulants in college....blood clots, in the lungs.  Its not like a ACL, this is life threatening.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24264048/tennessee-volunteers-lineman-trey-smith-shares-life-blood-clots-diagnosis-like

He didn't participate in a lot of practices just because of  the health issues.  The entire NFL passed on him 6 times. 

We chose Deonte Brown as our late round OL pick.  He hasn't panned out.  I hope he still does.

On 8/4/2022 at 5:34 PM, Panthers8969 said:

These comments make no sense to me. You know who else would be happy to land a 6-7 figure contract they didn’t deserve? Literally 99% of the world. We have no idea if he’s a good guy or not. “Oh but he was happy to be here.” Honestly why would anyone care. You know who would’ve been happy too? Trey smith. But the coaching staff was too fuging dumb and wanted a PR stunt 

It’s okay, some people simply lack empathy 

8 hours ago, PandaMan said:

It’s okay, some people simply lack empathy 

Right. Some people do lack empathy. Empathy for panther fans that had to endure the team parading a horrendous waste of a pick as some great moment for the team. Same people who loved how the team showcased Sam’s great panther logo drawing. So yes, please do excuse my lack of empathy that apparently means I put one man’s happiness above millions. Bravo for you, how morally superior you are to the rest of us 

2 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

Right. Some people do lack empathy. Empathy for panther fans that had to endure the team parading a horrendous waste of a pick as some great moment for the team. Same people who loved how the team showcased Sam’s great panther logo drawing. So yes, please do excuse my lack of empathy that apparently means I put one man’s happiness above millions. Bravo for you, how morally superior you are to the rest of us 

Who pissed in your spaghetti-o’s, bud?  

1 minute ago, Panthers8969 said:

Fantastic rebuttal. You got me

You’re basically ranting into the void, man.  Feeling empathy for a hopeful LS prospect doesn’t mean we can’t also be upset that our team has been sucking ass lately.  They’re not mutually exclusive.  It’s not his fault Rhule’s an idiot