• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Baker Mayfield lift Carolina Panthers into playoff contention? NFL sources believe so.

poundaway

34 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You don't think he has it in him? Just asking. I know you wouldn't bet the house on it.

I'm just saying his play so far hasn't shown he is good enough to get it done on a consistent basis.  So far in camp he's only proved he's marginally better than Sam Darnold.  What does that say?

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm just saying his play so far hasn't shown he is good enough to get it done on a consistent basis.  So far in camp he's only proved he's marginally better than Sam Darnold.  What does that say?

He is playing as good as most QBs do early in TC. Especially those on new teams/offenses. I remember Cam throwing INTs/fighting Norman. That’s just part of learning new plays/timing. He has shown he can help a bad franchise get into the playoffs. They however has a better coach and probably roster than we currently do. 

• Pie 1

On 8/6/2022 at 5:00 AM, kungfoodude said:

I would say possible but unlikely. 

I suspect we are going to finally see Rhule prove himself as the NFL's worst head coach. 

TBH, anything less than a winning record will cement that. Especially with all the hype about our offseason. 

The browns upgraded and so did we. And when all is set and done we may have gotten the quarterback with a better future 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, GOAT said:

the +4000 bet for us to make the playoffs is really enticing.

all comes down to who Rhule starts in multiple positions.

The +1000 to win the division equally enticing.  Atl should be bad, TB and NO have new coaches and in theory Brady could just completely collapse so only a few crazy things have to happen for us to catch fire and win the div

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, do remember that each Conference got an extra playoff spot now, it is actually a little easier to back into the playoffs.

I know but I can't say we win more than 8 this year. When coaching is this moronic I just don't have faith. 

I came here suspecting Mayfield could elevate this team -- and I thought that some of the Rhule distaste was overblown...

But, if training camp is any indication, I'm growing increasingly worried. 

Splitting reps on a new QB who arrived two months later than he should have, is legitimately undermining the team's, player's, and position's success.  

Darnold got more reps in scrimmage yesterday, for fugs sake. 

• Beer 3

On 8/6/2022 at 6:54 AM, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but Baker playing at a high level may not lead to winning. Do you remember recent Superb Owl champion Matt Stafford's entire career with the Lions? Do you remember Matt Ryan's time with Atlanta? Deshaun Watson with Houston?

You can be a really good or even elite QB and not be able to overcome shitty coaching or just a poo situation. 

Hell, look at our own Cam Newton.

Do people think we would when a superb owl with Brady as qb??  Not with Rhule and Tepper 

45 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Never said you had to agree with me my friend.  Just saying I have little faith he will prove to be much better than Darnold in the end. Especially if he has to carry the team without the benefit of CMC in the backfield. 

I respect that. 

🤫 Don't tell anybody, but I may have taken a swig of that Baker Kool-Aid. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's Football Jesus incarnate or anything (that would be MC9 😁), and his body of work suddenly doesn't justify thinking with any type of surety or clarity that he's the Panthers' savior as some have been intimating, but I like his fight during this "competition." He appears motivated. If he can't consistently bring his best this season, he'll never do it! 

We already know that he can't show well with an injury to his non-throwing shoulder😒; hopefully he can show a little better with that big ol' chip on his shoulder.

This is his time to show it, or blow it, and deep down, he has to know it.

Praise Him Easter Sunday GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Beer 2

54 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I respect that. 

🤫 Don't tell anybody, but I may have taken a swig of that Baker Kool-Aid. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's Football Jesus incarnate or anything (that would be MC9 😁), and his body of work suddenly doesn't justify thinking with any type of surety or clarity that he's the Panthers' savior as some have been intimating, but I like his fight during this "competition." He appears motivated. If he can't consistently bring his best this season, he'll never do it! 

We already know that he can't show well with an injury to his non-throwing shoulder😒; hopefully he can show a little better with that big ol' chip on his shoulder.

This is his time to show it, or blow it, and deep down, he has to know it.

Praise Him Easter Sunday GIF by Robert E Blackmon

He has all season to change my mind.  Right now I'm skeptical.  Let's see where the meter is after game 17.

• Pie 1

In the NFL, if your QB can't produce game winning drives, your defense can't produce turnovers, your receivers can't come up clutch on 3rd down/redzone, and your running game can't control the clock and can't maintain a lead for more than one quarter, then you have no chance.

Without CMC, the Panthers do not have any other players who can check off any of these boxes.