• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Live Updates: Training camp practice on Saturday, August 6

Carolina Panthers

1 hour ago, RJK said:

The fact neither QB can win the job is as depressing as rhule botching the process. Next coach should have a high first Round QB to work with next season at least.

Baker has already won the job. Everybody can see that. There is no chance Rhule trots Sam out there week one, especially against Bakers own team. If you want to destroy a teams and QBs spirit and morale the first game of the season, go ahead and start Sam. Baker is gonna be chomping at the bit to stick it to the Browns. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

But they are dumb reasons.  Not sure one dumb reason is really better than the next.  And we have them because Rhule has proven to be be dumb.  Which is kinda the main point.  

*my hair brained scheme  isn’t about an excuse for why they suck though.  It’s based on math and Rhule wanting to do what is best for Rhule.   A guy that seeks to continue coaching football for a long time.  If we are going to suck.  Let’s say no matter who we start around 6 wins is our destiny.  I just believe it favors Rhule to start Sam.  Then when people get disgruntled.  Baker is a weaker version of Cam.  It silences and appeases the masses.  Buys time.  Might prevent him from being fired in season or just buy time to allow him to find somewhere to go.   You start Baker you can’t go to Sam.  PJ.  And I don’t think Corral gives him the boost after someone flames out.  It would just be ruining him. 

Nah. If Baker sucks it gets blamed on Fitts. Then Rhule can go back to old reliable Sam and if he sucks he can then go to Corral and the excuses are built in. Baker was a failed attempt to find an upgrade by the FO, Sam is who he has always been and Corral just wasn't ready and was only a 3rd round rookie.

Edited by Floppin
  • Beer 1

Just now, Silent Majority said:

Without digging back through. It had to have been one of the tweets when Matt was finally put in at the end w/ the 3's. 

He was 0/4 passing in his drive today. There was a tweet that referred to that, so I'm assuming that's the one that you were talking about. He's gotten reps every day in 7v7 and 11v11 but it's usually only been one drive each time each day.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Floppin said:

He was 0/4 passing in his drive today. There was a tweet that referred to that, so I'm assuming that's the one that you were talking about. He's gotten reps every day in 7v7 and 11v11 but it's usually only been one drive each time each day.

Okay, so it was just today. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Floppin said:

Nah. If Baker sucks it gets blamed on Fitts. Then Rhule can go back to old reliable Sam and if he sucks he can then go to Corral and the excuses are built in. Baker was a failed attempt to find an upgrade by the FO, Sam is who has always been and Corral just wasn't ready and was only a 3rd round rookie.

Nah.   Rhule is bringing all his baggage with him.  BOA isn’t blaming the GM.   BOA is looking at the HC.  National and local media too.  The masses don’t even know the GMs name or care.   GM isn’t on the hotseat

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Nah.   Rhule is bringing all his baggage with him.  BOA isn’t blaming the GM.   BOA is looking at the HC.  National and local media too.  The masses don’t even know the GMs name or care.   GM isn’t on the hotseat

That still doesn't make your theory make any sense. You can keep going around in circles all you want but it doesn't. And based on this logic and the shitstorm that would be created by trotting out Sam to start the season, it puts your theory in shambles anyhow.

Regardless, BOA and the media doesn't make that decision. Tepper does. If the fans and media made that decision, we wouldn't even have Rhule still around for this year.

Edited by Floppin

14 minutes ago, Floppin said:

That still doesn't make your theory make any sense. You can keep going around in circles all you want but it doesn't. And based on this logic and the shitstorm that would be created by trotting out Sam to start the season, it puts your theory in shambles anyhow.

Regardless, BOA and the media doesn't make that decision. Tepper does. If the fans and media made that decision, we wouldn't even have Rhule still around for this year.

Rhule wants to stay employed as long as possible this season.  That’s the base of the wild theory.  And I don’t believe it’s a happy marriage.  Given this is one job on a long career resume….I assume Rhule cares about how he departs. 

he doesn’t want to start Baker and get fired at midseason….because the fans aren’t going to stop booing if he trots Sam out there for the fix.  Fans might give him some time once we trots out the guy we want,  just a variation of last season and how he survived it. 

52 minutes ago, CRA said:

There is no reason that actually makes sense though.  Share one that does.  Baker is a better QB, leader, etc.  I’ve never said my reasoning actually makes sense.  The logic is just Matt Rhule does dumb things

Follow the money. Doesn't Mayfield's contract say he has to play 70% of the games to get the entire amount the Panthers agreed to pay?  Rhule sitting him a few games means the Panthers get him cheaper. 🤔

3 minutes ago, Billy Love said:

Does anybody know if the staff allowed the team to watch Sam Mills HOF induction today? If they did not make it available (minimum) and make it a celebration I will be more than disappointed. I thought they should have organized a fan celebration at the statue today. 

Tepper has been trying to whitewash Mills since he got here so I really doubt it. 

The longer this lasts, the fewer the opportunities both quarterbacks will have to get properly prepared for Week One. Even if it’s ultimately Mayfield, the sooner the Panthers go all in with him, the sooner he can go all in to get ready to face the Browns.

Still, it’s up to Mayfield to seize the job. Once the locker room knows he’s the better choice, he’ll have the job. And if he doesn’t, things could get very awkward for the Panthers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/06/panthers-wont-decide-on-starting-quarterback-until-after-second-preseason-game/

• Beer 1