• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Room: Baker Mayfield

ellis

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You and I have a different definition of "serviceable replacement".      Darnolds win totals for his career 4-7-2-4

So I asked the question again, whats the point of keeping that on your roster?  If you have to go to him for whatever reason you pretty much know the result that is going to happen

Darnold is already here getting paid and knows the system.  Corral is sitting this year, period.  I guess we could keep Walker as the primary backup over Darnold. Just for cap purposes alone that makes zero sense.  Hopefully Baker is healthy all year and whomever is the backup is holding a clipboard until the end of the season.

Cleveland was able to utilize 13 personnel (3TE sets) as a pass game tool. The dominant nature of their run game encouraged single high coverage opportunities, and the TE group was 3-deep with reliable pass catchers. 

The play below summarizes Mayfield’s strengths: play action salesmanship, progressing to vertical reads w confidence, ability to place vertical throws with a relatively high degree of velocity and accuracy. 

The foundation for his success lies in protection, but just as vital…having the threat of a multi-personnel grouping run game active and healthy, making their early down play action shots a credible two-way threat for defenses to strain over. 

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, pantherj said:

We know Baker has the arm strength and the balls to go for big plays down field. It's just a question of what his TD/INT ratio is going to be as to whether or not he's going to stick with the team. If he throws too many picks then it won't matter that he makes big plays here and there.

Ultimately I think Rhule is wanting to play small ball, run it a lot, and take a few shots down field here and there rather than air it out. The problem is that those days are over. We have to air it out, and that's what worries me about Baker.

I still think we're taking a QB in the 1st in 2023 and Baker and Sam won't be here next season.

I think the Mayfield question is more complex than even performance. It will depend on Tepper's level of micromanagement and what the direction of the current/next coaching staff is.

If Tepper is/was a Baker guy, I think Baker will be here. If the next coach is a Baker guy, he will be here. But if Tepper isn't a Baker guy and Rhule/new coach aren't Baker guys, he is gonna be gone. 

It would probably take an All-Pro performance in 2022 for the latter opinions to change.

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Darnold is already here getting paid and knows the system.  Corral is sitting this year, period.  I guess we could keep Walker as the primary backup over Darnold. Just for cap purposes alone that makes zero sense.  Hopefully Baker is healthy all year and whomever is the backup is holding a clipboard until the end of the season.

sitting corral for the year come hell or high water (if it truly happens) might be the dumbest thing rhule would do in his 3 years here

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ellis said:

Cleveland was able to utilize 13 personnel (3TE sets) as a pass game tool. The dominant nature of their run game encouraged single high coverage opportunities, and the TE group was 3-deep with reliable pass catchers. 

The play below summarizes Mayfield’s strengths: play action salesmanship, progressing to vertical reads w confidence, ability to place vertical throws with a relatively high degree of velocity and accuracy. 

The foundation for his success lies in protection, but just as vital…having the threat of the game active and healthy, making their early down play action shots a credible two-way threat for defenses to strain over. 

The line does an incredible job there

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

fixed it. all of them are having to learn it. none of them *knows* it. New OC. New system.

Eh, okay, Darnold understands it best as he's been here all offseason and has taken the bulk of the offseason reps leading into camp.  But sure, let's cut him just because 99.9% of the Huddle gets triggered by him simply being on this roster.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Eh, okay, Darnold understands it best as he's been here all offseason and has taken the bulk of the offseason reps leading into camp.  But sure, let's cut him just because 99.9% of the Huddle gets triggered by him simply being on this roster.

For the good of the franchise but short term and long term he needs to be off the roster and not taking reps

18 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

or some people get triggered at other people seeing little benefit to him being on the roster because he has no future here and would rather see those reps go to someone who does have a future?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1