• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CJ Saunders

Steelo Senpai

Has been practicing well in camp, a lot of reps with the 1s and making some plays. Additionally I’m wondering what the sudden interest in him has been, I mean they liked him last TC but he was mainly with the 3s/4s. 

My question is, who should be more worried. Zylstra or Shi Smith?

Is CJ going to take over the ST responsibility of Zylstra or are they looking to use him in the slot as WR3/4. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Steelo Senpai said:

Has been practicing well in camp, a lot of reps with the 1s and making some plays. Additionally I’m wondering what the sudden interest in him has been, I mean they liked him last TC but he was mainly with the 3s/4s. 

My question is, who should be more worried. Zylstra or Shi Smith?

Is CJ going to take over the ST responsibility of Zylstra or are they looking to use him in the slot as WR3/4. 

Zylstra made a lot of big plays early. Personally, I'd rather see Higgins and Saunders play than Anderson.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 2

There was an article about him on the main site last week:

https://www.panthers.com/news/c-j-saunders-keeps-earning-notice-making-plays

Good read. Apparently he was Mr. Athlete in his hometown and played multiple sports in HS and all of them very well. 

His biggest issue was he got injured his senior year at OSU so he never really got a shot, but he's crazy athletic, just not the fastest. 

• Pie 3

45 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

image.jpeg.c082a2fee4a874681272f24a806bd9d9.jpeg

Just prefer Higgins to Anderson is all. Saunders isn't going to replace Anderson on the outside. I get Anderson can run, I really do, but his stone hands probably cost the Panthers two games last year. Specifically remember one sequence where he dropped three straight.

Not a good look when a guy can go out and do that and be left in while a guy like Higgins may celebrate in practice and everyone gets to run.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Just prefer Higgins to Anderson is all. Saunders isn't going to replace Anderson on the outside. I get Anderson can run, I really do, but his stone hands probably cost the Panthers two games last year. Specifically remember one sequence where he dropped three straight.

Not a good look when a guy can go out and do that and be left in while a guy like Higgins may celebrate in practice and everyone gets to run.

WR3 at best

EA2DD436-9F85-456D-8091-CC43CCE0782B.jpeg

9 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I don’t think Saunders is a threat to replace anyone outside. I think he may be looked at as a Renfrow type slot/utility player. Has great fundamentals, decent athlete. But he’s not gonna blow anyone off the line. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There was an article about him on the main site last week:

https://www.panthers.com/news/c-j-saunders-keeps-earning-notice-making-plays

Good read. Apparently he was Mr. Athlete in his hometown and played multiple sports in HS and all of them very well. 

His biggest issue was he got injured his senior year at OSU so he never really got a shot, but he's crazy athletic, just not the fastest. 

Not to pee on the parade, but if he got named Mr. Athlete, I would hate to see that hometown based off what I saw of him last season.🤣🤣🤣

But seriously, I love underdogs and all that good stuff, but unless he made some drastic improvements this offseason, I just don't see how he could beat out the likes of Zylstra, Shi, TMJ, and Higgins.  Last season when he played, it looked like most people from the Huddle walk faster than he runs.  I admit, there are some guys who just have a knack and ability to get open, but I didn't even see that last season.  Maybe he has refined his route running quite a bit, but I just don't know how he can make it into a bigger role with that lack of athleticism.

And another thing to ponder, if he does hold onto this spot, then what happens to our drafted guys?  

DJ and Robby are locks.  I imagine Roberts is as well unless Shi really surprises in the return game this preseason.  So that's 3 receiver spots.

Then we have Higgins, TMJ, Shi, Zylstra, and Saunders.  I think keeping 6 is a definite, but I don't know about 7.  So either 1 or 2 of those guys are out.  And. I know Zylstra hasn't been heard from a lot this camp, but he has made some clutch plays the last two years, is a solid receiver, and plays ST coverage...  and again, he's proven it on the field.  So although he seems like the most likely candidate to go off that list, I don't think he's so easy to write off either.  I want the best 6 or 7 on the roster, but man I would hate one of our drafted guys not to make it.  I really liked what I saw from Shi and TMJ in their limited opportunities last year.