• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera fires Sam Mills III

Mr. Scot

Mills probably walked by Danny Boy's office late one night when he was transferring money from the Foreskins account to his personal Cayman Islands account, through several other accounts.  Fearing Mills knew too much, he had to go.

That would qualify as a philosophical difference.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

36 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And worked with the elder Mills...

Throw in too that Mills III made the choice to follow Rivera to Washington.

I'll say it again. I really want to know the details of this story.

Same.  Definitely seems out of character for Rivera.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

My bet is that Mills did something stupid and Ron had no choice. Mills did some bizarre things while he was living in CLT.

Rivera wasn't exactly immune from doing stupid things.

Worth remembering he's the reason Marty Hurney has a high level job with the Commanders.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rivera wasn't exactly immune from doing stupid things.

Worth remembering he's the reason Marty Hurney has a high level job with the Commanders.

they got a preseason game this weekend.  Camp is going on.  Wonder if Sam Mills Jr was missing time for the HOF stuff.   

I mean, right or wrong, Ron seems like a show up guy given how he went about his battle with cancer.  Just speculating.  Wonder what the difference in opinion was on.  Doesn't have to be coaching style. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

they got a preseason game this weekend.  Camp is going on.  Wonder if Sam Mills Jr was missing time for the HOF stuff.   

I mean, right or wrong, Ron seems like a show up guy given how he went about his battle with cancer.  Just speculating.  Wonder what the difference in opinion was on.  Doesn't have to be coaching style. 

I haven't seen enough to get any sort of read on whether this was the right decision or not.

From what I've heard, people do feel like the defensive line underperformed last year. Is that primarily on Mills? Don't know.

With that said, it's kind of hard to defer to the guy who put massive amounts of trust in Mike Shula, Richard Rodgers and Eric Washington while telling Ken Dorsey to dial it back and just be Cam Newton's "buddy".

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It is.

Throw in also that staff decisions were never exactly Rivera's strong suit (remember how long he held on to Eric Washington as his DC).

It's possible that Mills wasn't up to being a position coach. Don't know. Again, this is one of those things where I'd like to know more details.

He said difference of opinion. It's likely like Mills seriously challenged Rivera on something or just blatantly disregarded an instruction regarding how to run something.