• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much playing time will Matt Corral get on Saturday?

Zod

1 hour ago, t96 said:

It's also a bit different this year since we have an open competition at QB (allegedly). Last year Sam was the clear cut starter and for some reason Rhule was babying him. Can't really baby Baker and Sam or they won't get enough reps to even compare them. Unless, as hoped, we are already set on Baker. I can't see us sitting them both for 2 games. One of them or both will see some time this weekend.

Not only that but both Baker and Sam will play in the first half. How long they play is determined by how they do when they go out there and how well the line protects.

Last year is history and after what happened I would think Rhule is going to do it differently. If he going to decide after game 2 who the starter will be, it makes no sense not to play Sam or Baker in the first preseason game.  No I think it will Baker for 1 or 2 drives and Sam for the same. Pj gets the third quarter and Corral gets the 4th.  Corral has the least grasp on the playbook so there is no way he plays that long unless we are running alot. I doubt he even has the playbook down yet. No knock on him but this offense is pretty complex and he has no experience in a pro offense or reading NFL defenses. Anyone who thinks Corral will play most of the game are not paying attention.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I just read that Rhule said that neither Sam or Baker will play in the second preseason game because they will gets lots of work during the 2 days of scrimmage with the Patriots. That convinces me more that Sam and Baker will play quite a bit in the first scrimmage and that Corral and PJ will split the second game. No telling about the third.

37 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I just read that Rhule said that neither Sam or Baker will play in the second preseason game because they will gets lots of work during the 2 days of scrimmage with the Patriots. That convinces me more that Sam and Baker will play quite a bit in the first scrimmage and that Corral and PJ will split the second game. No telling about the third.

See I think that just cements that you don’t see Baker or Sam this weekend.  If he isn’t playing them in preseason game 2, he won’t play them for preseason game 1…where starters generally don’t play.  

Rhule is going to have the “competition” be in camp/practice.   It gives the media, fans, etc the least info into why he makes it.  And then Rhule plays his staters just like last year.  One game for a half in game 3.   He is just BSing about how they might play just like he did last preseason IMO.   He just doesn’t want to say the truth and deal with it before the game.  Like last year. 

27 minutes ago, CRA said:

See I think that just cements that you don’t see Baker or Sam this weekend.  If he isn’t playing them in preseason game 2, he won’t play them for preseason game 1 l…where starters generally don’t play.  

Rhule is going to have the “competition” be in camp/practice.    And then Rhule plays his staters just like last year.  One game for a half in game 3.   He is just BSing about how they might play just like he did last preseason IMO.   He just doesn’t want to say the truth and deal with it before the game.  Like last year.

You aren't following along obviously.  They won't play in preseason 2 because they will take all the reps in the scrimmages for 2 days. But that doesn't mean he won't play them before then or after. Besides why give Corral and PJ all the work in preseason. PJ won't be here and obviously giving reps to Corral wasn't the plan all along or he would have gotten more work to begin with.  He hardly knows the offense which is why he only played in drills and not in the 7 on 7s. Or 11 on 11s for the most part. And with the disaster last year why would you recreate that again. 

But no need to go back and forth 20 times. All will be revealed this weekend 

Edited by panthers55
  • Beer 2

15 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You aren't following along obviously.  They won't play in preseason 2 because they will take all the reps in the scrimmages for 2 days. But that doesn't mean he won't play them before then or after. Besides why give Corral and PJ all the work in preseason. PJ won't be here and obviously giving reps to Corral wasn't the plan all along or he would have gotten more work to begin with.  He hardly knows the offense which is why he only played in drills and not in the 7 on 7s. Or 11 on 11s for the most part.

But no need to go back and forth 20 times. All will be revealed this weekend 

Same reason he gave Will Grier and PJ all the work last preseason? 

it also just opens the door for the media/fans/noise to have input on his QB decision.   And he clearly IMO has always planned to let his evaluation with the Pats practice be where he makes the call to the public.  At least that his been his claim.

I’m just betting Rhule keeps being Rhule.    We wanted to see Sam last preseason season.  We didn’t.  He just teased it.   Just feels like the same script to me.  We will see.

I’d be happy to be off on my take. I’d like Baker and Sam to play.   I’d like to see everyone but PJ.  Preferably with a mix of starters and 2s for Sam/Baker but with Rhule sitting the legit studs out.  Shelf Moore, CMC, and Moton.   That would be my ideal game this Sat. 

25 minutes ago, Toker Smurf said:

I say Baker and Sam get one series each. Then Matt gets the rest of the first half and the first series of the second. Then PJ cleans up. 

PJ is ahead on the depth chart. Last year he got the first half and Grier got the second half. Probably something similar unless McAdoo sees things differently and convinces Rhule to mix things up

4 hours ago, CRA said:

Same reason he gave Will Grier and PJ all the work last preseason? 

it also just opens the door for the media/fans/noise to have input on his QB decision.   And he clearly IMO has always planned to let his evaluation with the Pats practice be where he makes the call to the public.  At least that his been his claim.

I’m just betting Rhule keeps being Rhule.    We wanted to see Sam last preseason season.  We didn’t.  He just teased it.   Just feels like the same script to me.  We will see.

I’d be happy to be off on my take. I’d like Baker and Sam to play.   I’d like to see everyone but PJ.  Preferably with a mix of starters and 2s for Sam/Baker but with Rhule sitting the legit studs out.  Shelf Moore, CMC, and Moton.   That would be my ideal game this Sat. 

Dont worry. Didn't Rhule say that Darnold wouldn't play last preseason? And didn't he just say that neither of them will play the second game? So why wouldn't he say anything similar if neither of them were playing in the first game. The answer is he would. Especially after all the talk about competition  and not naming a starter. Everyone would have a field day if neither played. So it only makes sense they both will play a series or two. What happened last year has no bearing on this year or at least I certainly hope so.  How much did he say CMC would play? Yeah none. So you will get your wish. They will both play as will the offensive line. And so will PJ and Corral. You heard it here first.

Edited by panthers55

6 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

PJ is ahead on the depth chart. Last year he got the first half and Grier got the second half. Probably something similar unless McAdoo sees things differently and convinces Rhule to mix things up

Yeah, mine was what I’d like to see, not necessarily what I think will happen.