• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person's Interview with Rhule

Mr. Scot

That was a good view of Rhule the person, not just the coach.  I am actually rather bullish on his chances to succeed this year.  I think we've got a really good team assembled.  We've finally got a decent QB and o line, and those have been the 2 main things holding us back for years now. 

• Pie 9
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

I found it interesting that he said he interviewed McAdoo before but didn't hire him initially. Does that mean Joe Brady was the second choice or did he not view McAdoo as a good fit for the type of offense he wanted to run? If so, what changed now other than his job being on the line and McAdoo possibly being the only OC willing to jump on this *possible* sinking ship.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, DFive said:

I found it interesting that he said he interviewed McAdoo before but didn't hire him initially. Does that mean Joe Brady was the second choice or did he not view McAdoo as a good fit for the type of offense he wanted to run? If so, what changed now other than his job being on the line and McAdoo possibly being the only OC willing to jump on this *possible* sinking ship.

He interviewed McAdoo for QB coach.  Not OC. 

4 minutes ago, DFive said:

If I recall correctly, McAdoo was interviewed for quarterback coach after Brady had already been named the OC.

Year..4? Already stretching out that timeline to win. 

Also the Baker section is basically the opposite of how they talked about and handled Sam last year. Hopefully that was a lesson learned but we'll have to wait and see how any of this preseason fluff stuff remains after a few regular season games

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Year..4? Already stretching out that timeline to win. 

Also the Baker section is basically the opposite of how they talked about and handled Sam last year. Hopefully that was a lesson learned but we'll have to wait and see how any of this preseason fluff stuff remains after a few regular season games

Yeah, winced a little when I saw that 😖

Occurs to me that some things may be a little bit different because Fiyyerer was just settling into his job last year.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, joemac said:

That was a good view of Rhule the person, not just the coach.  I am actually rather bullish on his chances to succeed this year.  I think we've got a really good team assembled.  We've finally got a decent QB and o line, and those have been the 2 main things holding us back for years now. 

Well that depends if we start the right QB and we don’t have Elfein and Jordan starting in front of Bozeman and Ickey

Edited by Camp Fodder
Spelling
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From The Athletic...

Panthers coach Matt Rhule: On Year 3, Baker Mayfield, family, Charlotte and making changes

Excerpts:

Much has been made about your college success in Year 3. Are there things that are transferrable to the NFL in Year 3 or is it apples and oranges?

Everything’s different. I always think as a team, when you’re ready to win, you win. When the mental meets the physical. When the mentality and mindset of everyone, when everyone’s on the same page and they get it, but you also have the right roster. I won in college because I had really good players. And those players took their lumps. And then at some point they were like, we’re done taking our lumps. Whether that’s Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, that’s the part of it.

Have you seen evidence that this team has reached that point?

They definitely want to win. They work. Now it’s a matter of teaching ourselves as a team and them teaching each other the finer points of let’s not beat ourselves... We’ve gained such valuable experience to the roster to go along with this strong foundation of this is what it takes to win.

Did the Baylor-Oklahoma game (where Mayfield trash-talked Baylor players before an Oklahoma win) piss you off in the moment?

Oh, yeah, in the moment...But there’s certain guys in life, you hate ‘em when they’re on someone else’s team. But you love ‘em when they’re on yours.

Did that taint your view of him for a while? Did you have to call (former Oklahoma coach) Lincoln Riley and say, I’m not sure how I feel about this guy?

That didn’t really affect me too much because I was like, you know what, to the victor belongs the spoils. When you’re undefeated, you get to do what you want. One thing I’ve learned is when we go to get a free agent or someone from the outside, I love talking to someone who’s coached them. I like getting that unbiased view.

What was the most memorable thing you were told about Baker?

Lincoln was like: “Matt, I know you. He fits the way you want to play. He’s your kind of guy. He’s gonna be a leader and a tough guy.” That was important to me. Any time you bring someone into a competition, they have to be someone that loves competition. If you bring in someone to battle for a spot and they’re entitled and they don’t like to compete, then it’s gonna be a negative for the team. But the biggest compliment I can give both guys right now is they’ve enjoyed the competition.

Who are some guys that aren’t being talked about right now that should be?

I think Ian Thomas is one of the most undervalued guys on the team because he does all the stuff that allows other people to be highly successful. Not many guys can run routes like he can and still block and pass protect at the level he can. I think the combination of backs behind Christian McCaffrey. D’Onta Foreman, Chuba Hubbard. And really one of the guys who’s had the best camps is Spencer Brown. That group gives us a depth we haven’t had. The addition of Cory Littleton, he’s going to give us such flexibility. And then Myles (Hartsfield) is a guy that can play safety, play corner. He’s a 220-pound nickel. You don’t have very many of those in the NFL, that can run as well as anyone. I really think (Marquis) Haynes is ready to have a good year. When they told us he was healthy the other day, that was a huge thing for the team. You look at the amount of pressure he’s gotten in the limited snaps he’s gotten, he can rush the passer. As his role gets amplified this year, I’m expecting him to do great things.

Ron Rivera said to do it over again, he would have had a former head coach on his first staff, just to help with all the things he didn’t know he didn’t know. Now you have these guys. But would you have done that differently?

I tried to do it. I just never found the right guy. It’s kind of funny. I interviewed Ben (McAdoo). At the time I didn’t think it was right. Sometimes it’s like divine purpose. I think he came at the right time and the right moment. A couple guys that I wanted to get, they were like, “Hey, Matt, I’m gonna retire,” or stay in retirement. I think more than anything, they can give you advice. But it’s also that they have perspective of what you’re going through. If you look at Steve (Wilks) or Ben or even Coach P (Paul Pasqualoni), they understand the different things that come with this job besides just on the practice field, etc. I’ve tried to get Jim Caldwell to come work for me a couple times. His son actually played for my father in ninth-grade football (in State College, Pa.).

There’s this perception that you’re going to end up back in college at some point. Is that enticing at all?

I would say, No. 1, we’ve done way too much work here to not be there to enjoy the fruits of it. Scott (Fitterer) has done a great job. Our staff’s done a great job. Our players have done a great job. I want us to start that climb of becoming a team that can compete for championships. I feel like we’ve reestablished a foundation of really good players. Teams go in cycles. The cycle came to an end. We’ve weathered the storm and I feel like we’re in the process now of trying to start that ascent of winning at a high level. I have no desire to leave and do that...We have set up shop here. We want to be here as long as we possibly can. When people have been as supportive as they have during the tough times, that makes times when you do have success all the greater. That’s one thing I’ve really learned the last two years. You might not like everything that’s happening, but here are the great people. Here are the bright spots. Here are the people that treat your kids well. So I feel a tremendous obligation to bring a winner to Bank of America Stadium.

"Everything’s different. I always think as a team, when you’re ready to win, you win."

If it were that easy then everyone would win. That's part of the problem. It's not all "will" at this level. It's practice. Teddy Bridgewater was right, the Panthers don't practice situational football correctly. If the Panthers didn't make adjustments following Teddy's comments, Rhule as a real issue with constructive criticism. 

Winning happens when talent meets preparation. 

• Pie 1