• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

First impressions of McAdoo

Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Worthless poo posts like this are why you changed your screen name. If there's nothing to judge, why are you posting?

Mentioned elsewhere, but if you read every post of his as saying "This is me trying to convince people that I'm really smart by claiming everyone else is dumb", it makes way more sense.

20 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

I'd give him a solid B grade today. The play calling right before half was very questionable to say the least. Didn't quite look like they wanted to run a 2 minute drill  for some reason even though they had decent field position.

The only play call I really didn't like was the final 3rd down. On 4th, PJ could've easily tucked and ran for a few to setup the FG attempt.

I think yeah, you can say it's vanilla, but the impression I get is that the fundamentals have improved, which are the things you would still see in vanilla play calling I assume. Like mentioning getting to the line quickly after a big play, even if its preseason game 1 that should still be the automatic reaction the players have after making a big play. Things like that are what I'm happy to see. You get those fundamentals instilled in the players and when it's regular season time you can adapt and overcome easier.

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The only play call I really didn't like was the final 3rd down. On 4th, PJ could've easily tucked and ran for a few to setup the FG attempt.

I'm not sure what happened on that play. He had plenty of room to keep running it and pick up a sizeable gain but was looking downfield the whole time.

There was another play, I think on that drive, where the intended target looked like he was trying to keep his toes inbounds like he was on the sideline, but was a few yards away from the sideline still. Not sure what he was thinking.

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Situational awareness appears to have been vastly improved over previous play callers...

Play design looked pretty good, definitely saw receivers that were schemed open...

Not sure what the run/pass ratio was but it felt like it worked; did seem more run heavy in the red zone after the starters left the game...

Don't recall us having to call a time out because a playcall came in late, though at one point I thought PJ Walker had to use one out of confusion...

As always of course, there's only so much you can tell from a preseason game but again, these are only first impressions.

For what it's worth, they're good.

I have one first impression of McAdoo and one first impression only (given that I wandered into a bar with about two minutes in the game and watched the final drive and that's it, this is how badly Rhule has erroded my interest in the Panthers, I used to watch even preseason games closely to get a feel for the roster, now I can't be bothered to care about watching the train wreck).

If it's true the play calls are getting into the huddle before the play clock hits 15 seconds, as another poster claims, that in and of itself will be a refreshing change from the last decade or more of Panthers football. It has long been tiresome to pull for a supposedly professional organization that so consistently fails to do this most basic thing in a timely fashion.

In the past, at this time of the year, we didn't look like we were handling the vanilla scheme very well. I think it means he has a good grasp of the fundamentals and has put those in place for the offense. That doesn't mean Superb Owl but it definitely could be a strong base for us to build from.

• Pie 1

We ran the preseason offense well.   As many mentioned,  it's preseason.  So then the "bullets" start flying we'll see how we preform against other teams 1st team who won't be vanilla either.  

If McAdoo keeps other teams off balance then,  or we are so great we just over power defenses,  that's great.  But if we lose early season games due to inept offense,,  we as fans will say "he can't adjustments" , or  "they have film on us now"  etc..  or our talent still sucks , "should have drafted Howell ( last year it was Fields ) ..

So let's enjoy watching the team grow and hope McAdoo is a coach that can make adjustments,, and we can over power other teams with our offense  "when the bullets start really flying" .

Not enough to do a thorough evaluation, but there was something about the offense that felt more hopeful.  I felt like we were going to get in field goal position at the end, and also the first drive looked good. 

Really, we've been lacking solid scripted opening drives for a while. McAdoo seems to be solid at that.

The indicator of a good offensive scheme and good coaching for me is whether all the qbs have some success. That means the scheme is quarterback friendly and the qbs understand the scheme enough to execute it. As Baker alluded earlier in a post, this scheme let's the qb make choices at the line to take advantage of the defensive scheme. That is music to my ears. Adjustments at the line to get favorable matchups. And apparently this is new to Baker. What if this will be the best scheme he has ever played in.... We can only hope.

16 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Situational awareness appears to have been vastly improved over previous play callers...

Play design looked pretty good, definitely saw receivers that were schemed open...

Not sure what the run/pass ratio was but it felt like it worked; did seem more run heavy in the red zone after the starters left the game...

Don't recall us having to call a time out because a playcall came in late, though at one point I thought PJ Walker had to use one out of confusion...

As always of course, there's only so much you can tell from a preseason game but again, these are only first impressions.

For what it's worth, they're good.

Vanilla preseason game way to jump to conclusions. Get the mat. Talk to me after September 11

• 5 months later...