• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is PJ Walker EVEN on the team?

TheBigKat

5 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

He’s had his bad moments, but his positive contributions shouldn’t be totally discarded. Corral has shown nothing but the ability to draw penalties. The jury is still out for me

He's 27 and had his best years in the XFL against nobodies. He just has no future here and total honesty is if he didn’t go to Temple he never would have been offered two contracts. If you want to develop a rookie you don't prioritize PJ Walker getting important reps over a guy you invested resources in to be your future. This staff is just bush league.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Would probably help at least a little bit if the coach would have him...you know practice 😖

Said it a couple times already but it bears repeating: Rhule is handling Corral as if he were a college freshman rather than an NFL rookie.

Again, he's proving that he's not an NFL coach.

I think it might have helped a little bit possibly.  That's not even a gurantee though.   I think if he had gotten every snap in the two week training camp he still wouldnt be ready or looked much better.  Hes not ready.  This frantic turn to blame the fact he played badly entirely on the coaching staff and their two weeks with him instead of any blame on Corral (when it was the first preseason game and none of it really matters yet anyways, these are all just overreactions for now) is so weird but the definition of what the huddle is these days.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, frankw said:

He's 27 and had his best years in the XFL against nobodies. He just has no future here and total honesty is if he didn’t go to Temple he never would have been offered two contracts. If you want to develop a rookie you don't prioritize PJ Walker getting important reps over a guy you invested resources in to be your future. This staff is just bush league.

Bush league is probably a compliment.

I don't put it on "the staff" though as much as I do Rhule. These are his decisions.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I think it might have helped a little bit possibly.  That's not even a gurantee though.   I think if he had gotten every snap in the two week training camp he still wouldnt be ready or looked much better.  Hes not ready.  This frantic turn to blame the fact he played badly entirely on the coaching staff and their two weeks with him instead of any blame on Corral (when it was the first preseason game and none of it really matters yet anyways, these are all just overreactions for now) is so weird but the definition of what the huddle is these days.

If he'd gotten practice and looked bad, then we could talk. But as has been mentioned, several NFL staffs have done a decent job prepping rookie quarterbacks this season. Ours? Not so much.

And unless you can cite examples where other third round rookies have come into the league and looked like world beaters after barely practicing at all, interpreting this as "well, I guess Corral must just be bad" is lazy.

Bottom Line? Corral is Matt Rhule's first experience / attempt at coaching a highly drafted NFL rookie quarterback.

And for the sake of the Panthers future, hopefully also his last.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

If he'd gotten practice and looked bad, then we could talk. But as has been mentioned, several NFL staffs have done a decent job prepping rookie quarterbacks this season. Ours? Not so much.

And unless you can cite examples where other third round rookies have come into the league and looked like world beaters after barely practicing at all, interpreting this as "well, I guess Corral must just be bad" is lazy.

Bottom Line? Corral is Matt Rhule's first experience / attempt at coaching a highly drafted NFL rookie quarterback.

And for the sake of the Panthers future, hopefully also his last.

You're not considering the way more likely option in the scenario though.  The third round rookie qb just isnt ready to go and two weeks wasnt going to change that.  Of course it's easy to blame coaching.  Most of the board does that no matter what happens, but its far more likely that its just another third round qb who isnt going to pan out.  Hopefully he does and after two weeks we have no idea, as expected.

5 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

You're not considering the way more likely option in the scenario though.  The third round rookie qb just isnt ready to go and two weeks wasnt going to change that.  Of course it's easy to blame coaching.  Most of the board does that no matter what happens, but its far more likely that its just another third round qb who isnt going to pan out.  Hopefully he does and after two weeks we have no idea, as expected.

Had the third round rookie been handled properly and still not turned out, I could have lived with that.

He's not been handled properly.

And as far as blaming the coaching staff, there's actually very good reason to do so. It's not just some knee-jerk reaction.

Matt Rhule has made it quite clear that he's not qualified to run an NFL team. Now you can say otherwise if you want, but in that case I'd ask you to present some kind of evidence to support the idea.

What actual positive things have you seen that can be attributed directly to wise courses of action taken by Matt Rhule?

And do me a favor: please don't start with the whole "#2 defense" thing because the reality is that our defense last year wasn't that good and the ranking garbage is a complete fallacy. I genuinely don't feel like having that discussion yet again.

• Pie 1

Honestly Corral is clearly very raw and maybe the idea was to ease him in with only a few drives in his first game as opposed to playing the majority of the game like PJ. Game reps are good and all but if you don't have a basic grasp of being an NFL qb, getting shellacked and humbled for your first ever game might be an unnecessary bruising of confidence. My guess is he'll get a good chunk of playing time in the last preseason game and that may be the last time we see him in action for quite some time. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The amount of people defending the plethora of flawed coaching decisions rhule makes yearly is insane to me. 5-11 5-11 5-12 and he has people on here giving him every benefit of the doubt. You know what’s far more likely? He’s a moronic college head coach not cut out for the league and the fans actually do know better 

4 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

PJ is MILES ahead of Corral and it showed. People really need to drop the delusions with MC. Hating on PJ is popular around here, but the guy has literally proven he can win games as a backup. But no,  “muh Corral is getting reps stolen from him”

Yes but the issue is we are not going with 4. Qbs and Darnold is a much better back up that PJ and that says something. Given Corral is going to be on the roster and no one is trading for Darnold it makes zero sense to not give them the reps. PJ is here due to his tie to Rhule, that’s it and it shows. That cronyism is not what should be displayed a team of young guys competing for a spot imo.

• Pie 4