• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wonder who pushed for Mayfield...

Jmac

34 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sam is also the biggest cap hit on the 2022 roster.   That a pretty massive cap hit.  It's a weird space for Rhule to be operating.  I don't think Rhule moving on from Sam is the absolute certainty that people think. 

and that's coming off last year where Teddy was the largest cap hit on that 2021 roster.    

I mean, I think moving on from Sam is the right call.  Better to make a horrible move, admit it and move on.  That often isn't seen a great deal in coaching.  Because while moving on from mistakes is correct it also highlights pretty massive mistakes you are making. 

Except Rhule did admit his mistake and move on from Teddy last year...?  You seem to correctly identify the similarities in the Teddy situation last year vs. the Darnold situation this year except your conclusion seems to be that the exact opposite outcome will occur.  Ironically, I would use your exact same premises to argue why Rhule will move on from Darnold this year.  Rhule's actions so far suggest, if anything, that he's a "cut ties quickly and move on" type coach who will keep taking shots over and over again until he finds a franchise QB.  That leads to frustration if he keeps swinging and missing, but it's the smart play in the long run.

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Except Rhule did admit his mistake and move on from Teddy last year...?  You seem to correctly identify the similarities in the Teddy situation last year vs. the Darnold situation this year except your conclusion seems to be that the exact opposite outcome will occur.  Ironically, I would use your exact same premises to argue why Rhule will move on from Darnold this year.  Rhule's actions so far suggest, if anything, that he's a "cut ties quickly and move on" type coach who will keep taking shots over and over again until he finds a franchise QB.  That leads to frustration if he keeps swinging and missing, but it's the smart play in the long run.

yeah, and it would be him doing it in back to back years.  Where the biggest cap hit on his roster is a one year wonder reject QB.  Moving on from mistakes is good....but at the same time it highlights what a disaster Rhule has done at the same time.    

and I think a big a part of Rhule moving on from Teddy was Teddy calling out how whack a program Rhule was running.  Not so much Rhule easily admits mistakes.  Which it doesn't appear is actually the case.   See all the bullshit starter competitions this year that have no real logical reason.  A coach not wanting to admit he has been wrong might make sense though to explain it.  

I've already said I think Rhule finds a way to start Sam and then moves on to Baker in season.  That remains my guess and I hope it is wrong. 

20 minutes ago, CRA said:

yeah, and it would be him doing it in back to back years.  Where the biggest cap hit on his roster is a one year wonder reject QB.  Moving on from mistakes is good....but at the same time it highlights what a disaster Rhule has done at the same time.    

and I think a big a part of Rhule moving on from Teddy was Teddy calling out how whack a program Rhule was running.  Not so much Rhule easily admits mistakes.  Which it doesn't appear is actually the case.   See all the bullshit starter competitions this year that have no real logical reason.  A coach not wanting to admit he has been wrong might make sense though to explain it.  

I've already said I think Rhule finds a way to start Sam and then moves on to Baker in season.  That remains my guess and I hope it is wrong. 

Are you referring to Teddy's criticisms of our lack of red zone offense drills in practice?  Cause that came a month after we traded him to the Broncos.  I think you're misremembering the Teddy situation - he wasn't critical of the coaching staff leading up to his trading, it was more the coaching staff who clearly started to sour on Teddy and distance themselves from him in their language leading up to the trade.

I'd argue that Rhule firing Brady was also him admitting a mistake and moving on, but I know you'll argue that Rhule was scapegoating Brady.  Even though I think you agree that firing Brady was ultimately the right move and that Brady was not ready to be an OC.  Any example I give you though, I think you are going to discount due to your speculation of some kind of sinister motive behind everything.

33 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Are you referring to Teddy's criticisms of our lack of red zone offense drills in practice?  Cause that came a month after we traded him to the Broncos.  I think you're misremembering the Teddy situation - he wasn't critical of the coaching staff leading up to his trading, it was more the coaching staff who clearly started to sour on Teddy and distance themselves from him in their language leading up to the trade.

I'd argue that Rhule firing Brady was also him admitting a mistake and moving on, but I know you'll argue that Rhule was scapegoating Brady.  Even though I think you agree that firing Brady was ultimately the right move and that Brady was not ready to be an OC.  Any example I give you though, I think you are going to discount due to your speculation of some kind of sinister motive behind everything.

Teddy was showing resistance and pushback in season though too. 

I mean Rhule realizing he shouldn’t of hired Joe Brady is fine and correct.  The timing of the firing wasn’t about us improving…..it was about Rhule throwing someone to the football gods because he was sucking though and under big heat.  

I’ve never alleged anything sinister in terms of motivation lol.  Rhule just isn’t a good coach and is going to look out for Rhule when the seat is hot.  Which I think is normal.   And he is and has always been in over his head so he navigates messes of his own making. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean Rhule realizing he shouldn’t of hired Joe Brady is fine and correct.  The timing of the firing wasn’t about us improving…..it was about Rhule throwing someone to the football gods because he was sucking though and under big heat.  

I’ve never alleged anything sinister in terms of motivation lol.  Rhule just isn’t a good coach and is going to look out for Rhule when the seat is hot.  Which I think is normal.  

Rhule was openly frustrated with Joe Brady consistently abandoning the run.... Brady got the Rhule kiss of death the game before the bye week when he fired JB. I dont think he was throwing anyone under the bus, it was pretty evident that Joe Brady and Rhule werent on the same page.

Which is fair, Rhule hired a passing game coordinator to be a power rushing pro OC. It wasnt a good fit. I also dont think Joe Brady was a Rhule hire based on the news that has come out recently about Rhule going after Caldwell as his OC during his hiring proces with us in 2020.  

Edited by TheCasillas

18 hours ago, Jmac said:

Very smart move. Matt is far from ready and the other two are who they are. Was it Rhule trying to save his job, Fitts trying to get a plan B if the kid didn't work out, or Tepper trying to get some wins and save the fan base and the PSL crowd

What you think?

I think it was painfully obvious to anyone with a functioning brain, basic football knowledge and two working eyeballs that Darnold, PJ Walker and a kid that we caught form falling to the 4th round in a pretty bad QB draft wasn't the answer going forward this season.  Call it hindsight 20/20 if people want to, I call it not being a complete moron.  That said, I think Fitts pushed for Baker because he doesn't want to sink with Rhule aboard the USS Clusterfug.

Edited by 45catfan

15 hours ago, onmyown said:

a very smart move? after 8 snaps or whatever in the first preseason game?

why is the huddle so bi polar and say things like this? then be the first to meltdown with poo hits the fan?

are you people not even the slightest self aware to realize doing this?

reminds me of my psycho ex 

very strange stuff

I remember when Darnold was a smart move after three games. 😂😂

45 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Rhule was openly frustrated with Joe Brady consistently abandoning the run.... Brady got the Rhule kiss of death the game before the bye week when he fired JB. I dont think he was throwing anyone under the bus, it was pretty evident that Joe Brady and Rhule werent on the same page.

Which is fair, Rhule hired a passing game coordinator to be a power rushing pro OC. It wasnt a good fit. I also dont think Joe Brady was a Rhule hire based on the news that has come out recently about Rhule going after Caldwell as his OC during his hiring proces with us in 2020.  

We had a bad QB, a very weak OL and a rookie RB.   No team can actually do what Rhule voiced he wanted to do.    When we faced a very bad run defense in Atlanta....it was largely implemented.  But a horrible run D provided the only opportunity.  

Rhule hired a passing OC, had no OL, no RB, and no pass threat at QB.....and was complaining about Joe Brady not running enough.  That is fine and dandy but I see that as a Matt Rhule created issue first and foremost.  You can't run on teams each week with that cast.  Especially when the other teams knows you want to do that and that you are afraid of your bad QB.   It's weird have people on focus on it as Brady not doing what Rhule wanted.  He didn't have the tools to do it if he wanted to at least attempt to compete most weeks.....and every play went through Rhule's ear.  Joe Brady shouldn't of been here.  The O problem is still largely a Matt Rhule problem.   We weren't pass heavy under Joe Brady.  We were pretty balanced in terms of pass/run.  Which is about all you can attempt with the horrible folks we had on O last year. 

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

I’ve never alleged anything sinister in terms of motivation lol.  Rhule just isn’t a good coach and is going to look out for Rhule when the seat is hot.  Which I think is normal.   And he is and has always been in over his head so he navigates messes of his own making. 

Teddy was showing resistance and pushback in season how?  Do you have any examples?  I really think you're misremembering the Teddy situation.

How would you characterize Rhule's willingness to throw others (and the team) under the bus to advance his own career interests, if not "sinister"?

18 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

It's weird, it's pretty much the same thing that happened the year before with Marty Hurney.  He got fired before the season was over, citing "philosophical differences".  But I don't remember people up in arms over Hurney getting unfairly scapegoated lol.

46 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Teddy was showing resistance and pushback in season how?  Do you have any examples?  I really think you're misremembering the Teddy situation.

How would you characterize Rhule's willingness to throw others (and the team) under the bus to advance his own career interests, if not "sinister"?

Teddy didn't just sit back and let Rhule throw him under the bus.   Rhule was publicly critical of Teddy not making a redzone play post game.  Teddy pushed back.    The beginning of the end.  

It's not unique to Rhule.  All NFL coaches when it gets real bad start firing guys to hopefully buy themselves some time and divert blame.