• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sounds like we made the right call...

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

You're not going to get a trade for PJ Walker, but someone noted that the Panthers radio guys said one of the reasons Walker was out there so much was to try and showcase him for another team.

It's not the Panthers responsibility to help PJ Walker find another job.

It is very much their responsibility to get Matt Corral ready to play in the NFL.

But again, which of those two things is Matt Rhule more focused on?

You are not wrong here

30 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

I can barely make it through a Panthers pre-season game, I’m certainly not going to watch others play, because I could give two shits. All of these guys are playing off instincts and will take time to develop. You’re acting like Corral comes to practice and everyone ignores him. 

That’s certainly one weird ass take.  

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Dear lord, you can’t see the difference? One guy has been a thorn in the coaching staff’s side and clearly not a team guy, the other is a clearly a team guy.

Corral isn’t close to ready, regardless of reps. Maybe, just maybe the staff is actually deciding who to be Baker’s backup. If they can pawn Sam off on someone and save even a few million, then PJ’s the backup. Unless you want to tank, I don’t see Corral as even backup ready.

Again, the difference is pretty stark.

100%, I don't get why people can't see this. If we're able to offload Sam and clear a bit of cap space, which is absolutely ideal, then PJ and Corral likely both stick on the roster. No one can honestly say right now they are more comfortable with Corral than PJ in a spot start if Baker had to miss a game. Say we're 8-5 fighting for a playoff spot and Baker has a minor injury or covid nonsense and has to miss a game. PJ gives us a much better chance to win as of right now. Things can change before the season starts, maybe Corral can accelerate his development in the next few weeks of practice and preseason games but he's not even close to PJ as it stands right now.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

100%, I don't get why people can't see this. If we're able to offload Sam and clear a bit of cap space, which is absolutely ideal, then PJ and Corral likely both stick on the roster. No one can honestly say right now they are more comfortable with Corral than PJ in a spot start if Baker had to miss a game. Say we're 8-5 fighting for a playoff spot and Baker has a minor injury or covid nonsense and has to miss a game. PJ gives us a much better chance to win as of right now. Things can change before the season starts, maybe Corral can accelerate his development in the next few weeks of practice and preseason games but he's not even close to PJ as it stands right now.

And again, that's nobody's fault but his own, right? 🙄

Do people think Corral is supposed to coach himself up?

And get something for Darnold? With someone else taking on some of his cap space in the process? Please!

Edited by Mr. Scot

22 minutes ago, t96 said:

The goal of TC and preseason isn't to showcase bottom end players for trade bait, it's to get your own team prepared.

If Darnold or PJ's reps are being tied to making them more attractive trade options and not purely evaluation for us, then we need to fire Rhule ASAP. 

That's about as derelict in one's duties as you can get for a coach on the hot seat.

Also, they need to figure out who is sticking around because giving reps to a QB that is going to get cut or put on the practice squad(this goes for Darnold, PJ or Corral) is a complete and utter waste of time. 

These shouldn't be fantastically difficult decisions to make for someone who supposedly is an NFL coach.

• Pie 5

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The goal of TC and preseason isn't to showcase bottom end players for trade bait, it's to get your own team prepared.

If Darnold or PJ's reps are being tied to making them more attractive trade options and not purely evaluation for us, then we need to fire Rhule ASAP. 

That's about as derelict in one's duties as you can get for a coach on the hot seat.

Also, they need to figure out who is sticking around because giving reps to a QB that is going to get cut or put on the practice squad(this goes for Darnold, PJ or Corral) is a complete and utter waste of time. 

These shouldn't be fantastically difficult decisions to make for someone who supposedly is an NFL coach.

Pretty much...

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I think you mentioned this before. If we can trade Greg Little we can trade anyone. Darnold could easily be moved.

Wait...You said I  was making dissimilar comparisons, and then you turn around and tell us that we should be able to get a trade for Sam Darnold just because we got one for Greg Little?

Yikes 😬

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’s so funny that I don’t have any faith in our GM or coaches at this point but I’m just so tired of the annoying stuff. Rhule’s the coach, it’s not changing for the better this year. I haven’t seen anything that would make me believe we can develop QBs or OL, but it seems to me that as you agreed there’s a reasonable thought that PJ could be Baker’s backup and as much as people want Corral to be ready today, he’s clearly not.

I think you mentioned this before. If we can trade Greg Little we can trade anyone. Darnold could easily be moved.

Greg Little didn't have a $18.8 mil guaranteed contract.

There is a reason Little was easy to move, his contract was peanuts. 

• Flames 1

The whole idea of playing and giving guys more reps so we can create trade value for them leaves out an important part of the equation:  is it worth the reps and time?

Let's say some team decides Darnold is worth trading for, and we get a 7th that could become a 6th, and we eat $16M of his contract?  Is that pick and $2.5M worth giving Mayfield and Corral fewer reps as we try to get one as much time with his offense as possible before the season and try to develop the other?  If you plan to unload Darnold, we are also taking reps from PJ.

This is an opportunity cost question.  You don't just look at what you put in vs. what you got back, you factor in what else you could have done with the resources.  Those things have value, too. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Loving the excuse train that is rolling

So with your logic were Brandon Smith and barno playing solid entirely because of coaching?  I mean they were even later picks than Corral so that must be some great coaching.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Greg Little didn't have a $18.8 mil guaranteed contract.

There is a reason Little was easy to move, his contract was peanuts. 

Hes gone after this year and we are sitting at 20m in cap right now.  I'm not sure how much it really hurt financially. 

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The whole idea of playing and giving guys more reps so we can create trade value for them leaves out an important part of the equation:  is it worth the reps and time?

Let's say some team decides Darnold is worth trading for, and we get a 7th that could become a 6th, and we eat $16M of his contract?  Is that pick and $2.5M worth giving Mayfield and Corral fewer reps as we try to get one as much time with his offense as possible before the season and try to develop the other?  If you plan to unload Darnold, we are also taking reps from PJ.

This is an opportunity cost question.  You don't just look at what you put in vs. what you got back, you factor in what else you could have done with the resources.  Those things have value, too. 

Yeah, if you had established value for a player, they would literally already have been traded. 

PJ has absolutely zero NFL value. He is a dime a dozen amongst 3rd QB's. Darnold has some limited value as a low tier 2nd QB but at his contract value his tradeability is extremely minimal. 

This idea that we are doing this for trade value is fuging ridiculous. If that is actually the case, there shouldn't be a single fan that isn't incensed. 

• Beer 1