• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DT Malcom Brown cut by the Jaguars

hepcat

The Jacksonville Jaguars made a surprise move after practice on Wednesday, releasing veteran defensive tackle Malcom Brown who appeared to be caught in a squeeze play involving younger players ahead of him and behind him on the depth chart.

Brown (6 feet 2, 330 pounds) was entering his eighth season in the NFL. He is coming off a career-high 57 tackles in 2021, with two sacks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/malcom-brown-released-jacksonville-jaguars-001129130.html

Here's a signing I can get behind. Big help in the run defense.

• Pie 5

Just now, TheCasillas said:

Im sure Fitts is already in contact with his agent. QQ: Are waivers active right now? I actually dont know the rules around waivers in the preseason. 

I think waivers is only for players who are under 4 years of NFL experience

3 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

theres got to be a reason why they cut him

is he washed?

Saints traded him to the Jaguars in the offseason and from what I could see he had a good season for the Saints last season. Jags seem to have a glut of young DTs they like better. So I'm not sure, he might just be a numbers/money cut, or maybe he just isn't cutting it. Either way, Panthers interior line isn't great and this would be a huge move to shore up the run defense. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

My completely amatuer take. Why not stack the line with 3 big bodies and Burns? Brown, Ionnidis, Brown, Burns. Ionnidis can provide some rush. Have Luvu play a passing rushing element mixed in.  If the secondary is going to be a strength it seems there is some leeway on the line. I'd rather them be stout and not all super dynamic pass rushers than light in the pants.  We aren't going to find an above average DE so adjust and try to go about it a slightly different way. With Hoskins and Nixon we have some depth in the rush capable big body types.

Yeah we basically have a 3-4 d-line roster but run a 4-3 or 4-2-5ish kinda thing. Not sure if it's by design or what. Burns/Barno/Luvu/Smith/Haynes can all speed rush but shouldn't be relied on to take OT's 1v1 in the run game

In reading through the Jags message boards it appears this was likely a combinations of a couple of things. 

It saves them 3 million in cap space. 
He was surpassed by 2 younger players and was 3rd on the depth chart playing late into the 4th quarter of their preseason game.
Their coach apparently "hasn't been happy with the interior line since camp started." and has been bringing in veteran D-Lineman for tryouts, such as Ddamukong Suh and Danny Shelton (just signed with Chiefs) and they fully expect a veteran to be signed within the next 24 hours. 

24 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I think waivers is only for players who are under 4 years of NFL experience

16 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

there is a date after which that goes in to affect I believe. It's might be the trade deadline...or at least somewhat in to the season.

Found it:

Waivers runs throughout the league year from the first business day after the Super Bowl through the end of the regular season. The first time it runs after the coming roster cuts is Wednesday, September 1 at noon ET.