• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Injury updates

Mr. Scot

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I agree with this as well. If Robby gives us first half 2020 instead of 2021, our top two are good. If he’s still 2021, our WRs aren’t deep or solid. We weren’t playing the Bills starters so we don’t really know how good Smith could be but Marshall and Higgins sure didn’t impress against backups.

I don't know what people were expecting of Hollywood. He's a backup and has always been a backup. TMJ is the disappointment thus far, but I ain't giving up on him quite yet. 

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Bingo. Multiple OL available at the same pick that all would be contributing.

To be honest, given how things have shaken out with our OL since the 2021 draft, I wouldn't even use that pick on an OL if we had the chance to go back and re-do it.

Moton was always locked in at RT, I wouldn't trade Ickey for anyone we could have taken in the second round there, BC is going to be a very good to great LG for us for years I think, Corbett is still only 26 years old and was the starting RG for the SB Champions last year, Bozeman started for the last 3 years for probably the best rushing team in the NFL over that span, and then I really believe in Mays, his versatility will make him a super back up until there is a place for him to slide into our starting lineup at some point in the next year or two, which I think he will.

Could we have gotten a Center or RG with that spot?  Sure, but would they really have been an upgrade over what we have with our current starters?  Highly doubtful.

Instead of wishing we could go back to take an OL there, I'd have loved to not trade back in the second round and stuck there to take Trevon Moehrig to pair with Chinn as our starting Safeties. 

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1

14 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Damn it man, you are making me derail the thread. Sorry, but “Could we have gotten a Center or RG…but would they really have been an upgrade…?” is funny. You obviously haven’t read a bunch of threads because yes, 100% Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith would not only be an upgrade for us, they would have been much cheaper and locked in at a low price for 3 more years.

If our OL was Iky, BC, Humphrey, Smith and Moton, we would legitimately have a claim to the best OL for the next 3 years and possibly longer. All that for TMJ and a long snapper we already released.

Here’s PFF’s G rankings for 2022: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-offensive-guard-rankings-tiers

As a rookie, Smith is ranked 12th, Corbett 19th. They said he “was a dominant run-blocker for the Chiefs and a capable starter from the outset. If he can iron out some of his inconsistencies as a pass-protector, he could become one of the game’s best.” I’d take that instead of a released LS.

Here’s PFF’s Center rankings: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-center-rankings-and-tiers-2022

Suffice it to say Humphrey is #2 as a rookie. Moton is rated #10. Add Iky and BC growing into their roles and damn mid way through this year and we’d have the top OL and Baker would look like a god. 

Sure, Humphrey I'll kinda give to you... Yes he would be nice to have, but it's not like he was some lock that we for sure would have taken, dude was the 15th OL selected last year, the third center, and not even the first Center selected after we picked in that round.

So the odds of us having selected him specifically are pretty low, and frankly, if you told me before last years draft that we would come into this season with the OL that we have right now, I'd still have passed on an OL in the second last year and gone with a Safety or LB instead.

And Smith doesn't help your argument here at all, pretty clear he wasn't even on our draft board due to his health concerns or else we'd have taken him at some point before he fell all the way to the 6th round. That one is an anomaly where everyone knew the skill, but it was non-football related health issues that kept him off most teams draft boards or he'd have been selected much earlier. 

You're picking and choosing the best players to come out of the draft in the middle to late rounds and expecting us to have selected them and for them to still have earned the starting spots to show they are solid starters (something we clearly know Rhule wouldn't have done, just look at what he did with BC last year).  

My point in all this is that we would have been rather unlikely to have selected Humphrey, there were 9 other OL selected before him in the second round, odds are we'd have ended up with on of them if we took an OL there, but the odds would have been rather high that we took someone like Moehrig if we went with a Safety (a position of need last year) as he was one of only 3 Safeties taken in the second (with one of them being taken before our original second round pick anyways).

No, I wouldn't have taken TMJ if I could go back and re-do the pick, but I still also wouldn't have selected an OL given who we would have most likely ended up with, i.e. not Humphrey and definitely not Smith.