• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Could Be our “Brees”

9 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

Penning gave up 5 pressures, a sack, and a penalty with the 2's in the first preseason game against the Texans. Does that sound like a player on track to win the starting job to you? They were giving him the opportunity to win the job, but he started very sluggish and wasn't capitalizing on it and they weren't going to give it to him so no, he wasn't on track to be the clear cut starting LT going into Week 1.

He didn't start making significant strides until after Hurst went down with his foot injury before the 2nd preseason game with the Packers. Yes, they were giving him some reps with the 1's in practice before then but he wasn't ahead of Hurst at any point during that time both were practicing.

Granted, he started improving when he got more time with the 1's but until his injury and in the event he didn't win the LT1 job outright before the season, his role was more than likely going to be the first man off the bench whether it be in case of injury to Hurst or Ramczyk or even as the 6th OL, but they wanted him to have some live snaps.

Again, this is the same situation we had when Ryan Ramczyk was drafted in the 1st round of 2017. Ramczyk didn't immediately supplant incumbent RT1 Zach Strief in camp that year. However Ramczyk did end up starting Week 1... but at LT, due to an injury to Armstead. And Ramczyk was much more pro-ready than Penning was/is. These are the facts, so no, you don't know what you're talking about despite the incessant goal post moving gymnastics you're trying to pull off.

But LMAO, I've only posting here for those reasons? I've been posting here longer than you have. 😂

And thankfully I have because if I did just start posting here, I'd wrongly assume the other posters here were just as ignorant as you are but I know they aren't. You're giving everyone here a bad look not only to opposing fans but your fellow Panthers fans that would potentially consider signing up here with your bad takes.

I'm going to make sure to get you some sort of award made up for your years of posting time here so we can present it to you at your annual banquet and roast.

Very Funny Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

Again, no clue what you're talking about. Penning wasn't drafted to replace Hurst, he was drafted to potentially be the future successor to Terron Armstead who is in Miami and not splitting reps with Penning. Hurst entered camp the incumbent LT1 and he exited camp as the LT1, they gave Penning the opportunity to take the starting job and even though he progressed from where he started camp, he didn't surpass Hurst.

And that's good y'all rookie tackle won his starting job. It has zero bearing on whether our rookie tackle won his job. Penning was with the 1st team OL against the Chargers because Hurst was still dealing with his foot injury. If Hurst didn't injure his foot in joint practices with the Packers, Penning doesn't get those additional snaps. Even if Penning didn't injure his toe against the Chargers, guess what? Hurst would still be starting Sunday against the Falcons.

Penning was with the starting OL the last preseason game out of necessity. The same reason Ramczyk started his rookie year, out of necessity because Armstead was injured at the start of 2017. Are you actually that dense or should I draw you a picture in your favorite color crayon for you to maybe grasp it better?

And I post here (and quite a few other NFL boards, including all NFC South boards) because I typically get very good football conversation out of the majority of posters here, unlike this **** stain of an argument you're trying to prop up. 😂

Just argue with the ESPN writer. They wanted to pull offensive starters, but unfortunately starting LT Penning got hurt. Great the guy he was drafted in the first round to replace is also battling an injury. If Penning was definitely going to be backup all year (which your dumb argument of another rookie who might have, but actually started week one is something you are clinging on to), it would have been noted by this writer. Instead they were talking about how the Saints couldn’t avoid injuries to all starters. 
Lol at trying to flex about posting on other boards. My point is 1st round OL will see the field even if they have to move them out of position whether it be OG or RT. Your guy was already getting reps with the 1s and the season hasn’t even started. 
I don’t know if it’s Pride or ignorance, but if you still can’t grasp that the 19th pick in the draft who was splitting reps with the 1s after one preseason game wasn’t going to start at some point I’m going to write it off as a lost cause. Go run along and bother some Falcons fans now.

On 9/8/2022 at 6:12 AM, ForJimmy said:

Just argue with the ESPN writer. They wanted to pull offensive starters, but unfortunately starting LT Penning got hurt. Great the guy he was drafted in the first round to replace is also battling an injury. If Penning was definitely going to be backup all year (which your dumb argument of another rookie who might have, but actually started week one is something you are clinging on to), it would have been noted by this writer. Instead they were talking about how the Saints couldn’t avoid injuries to all starters. 
Lol at trying to flex about posting on other boards. My point is 1st round OL will see the field even if they have to move them out of position whether it be OG or RT. Your guy was already getting reps with the 1s and the season hasn’t even started. 
I don’t know if it’s Pride or ignorance, but if you still can’t grasp that the 19th pick in the draft who was splitting reps with the 1s after one preseason game wasn’t going to start at some point I’m going to write it off as a lost cause. Go run along and bother some Falcons fans now.

Yeah, he started at LT that game because the guy in front on him didn't play while recovering from injury. It's not that hard to understand. If they were both healthy, Hurst was going to be starting Week 1, period.

Saints tackles Trevor Penning, James Hurst exit practice with injuries - 8/17/2022

The New Orleans Saints depth chart took a hit on Wednesday with both their starting left tackle (James Hurst) and his backup (Trevor Penning, a rookie first round draft pick) leaving practice early with apparent injuries.

Saints’ James Hurst looks ready to go for Week 1 - 9/2/2022

The veteran left tackle suffered a foot injury during the Saints’ joint practice with the Green Bay Packers a little less than a month ago. Out of caution, Hurst sat out for the next two preseason games but was a full participant in practice on Thursday.
Hurst was initially competing against rookie Trevor Penning for the left tackle job, and after a strong showing in the first preseason game, Hurst rightfully claimed a starting role in 2022. He mainly served after as a backup to Terron Armstead last year.

Yeah, we'd totally be holding Hurst out of preseason games as a precaution if he was going to back up Penning all year. 🥴

On 9/8/2022 at 6:16 AM, ForJimmy said:

On a side note. No more mentioning Brees in topics. It attracts some of their troll fans…  I swear you can mention his name across the world and some “Who Dat” fan would pop out from behind the corner bragging about how many times he choked in the playoffs.

I honestly wouldn't have even quoted your first post if it wasn't so blatantly inaccurate. You brought this upon yourself. 🥳

On 9/8/2022 at 4:56 AM, YourLastThought said:

I'm going to make sure to get you some sort of award made up for your years of posting time here so we can present it to you at your annual banquet and roast.

Very Funny Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

I appreciate your generosity, kind friend! I'll be sure to put it on the highest shelf above the mantle.🥰

Not gonna lie though, a roast would be fun.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

Yeah, he started at LT that game because the guy in front on him didn't play while recovering from injury. It's not that hard to understand. If they were both healthy, Hurst was going to be starting Week 1, period.

Saints tackles Trevor Penning, James Hurst exit practice with injuries - 8/17/2022

Saints’ James Hurst looks ready to go for Week 1 - 9/2/2022

Yeah, we'd totally be holding Hurst out of preseason games as a precaution if he was going to back up Penning all year. 🥴

I honestly wouldn't have even quoted your first post if it wasn't so blatantly inaccurate. You brought this upon yourself. 🥳

I appreciate your generosity, kind friend! I'll be sure to put it on the highest shelf above the mantle.🥰

Well our banter has highjacked this thread long enough.  I find it hard to believe a 1st round tackle wasn't going to start all year especially with him already getting reps with the 1s, but I surrender.  If you say he wasn't, you know your team much better than I do (as I couldn't recognize a bunch of those defensive starters).  

However, Darnold and Rhule still beat your team joining (NYJ with Wilson's first start, Texans with Mills first start, the Falcons, and the Cards with Colt McCoy).  That was a rough year for us looking back at it....

Looking forward to this season and I would wish your team some luck if it wasn't the Saints!

• Beer 1

On 9/7/2022 at 9:42 PM, glenwo2 said:

Motivation would mean nothing if he gets turned into street-pizza by the O-Line.

Once again, we are at their mercy of basically "waiting for the other shoe to drop", so to speak.

Baker better get ready to scramble a lot. 

Good design by the OC, open receivers, a quick release by the QB can all make the OL look better.  Teddy made a very similar  OL looked better than with Sam, in part because he had a quicker release.

On 9/7/2022 at 9:42 PM, glenwo2 said:

Motivation would mean nothing if he gets turned into street-pizza by the O-Line.

Once again, we are at their mercy of basically "waiting for the other shoe to drop", so to speak.

Baker better get ready to scramble a lot. 

McAdoo said Ickey won't always be alone.

10 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

I don't have much pull here but if you like a roast then you should have one. The regular laugh roast as well as a good Cajun style pot roast. You are probably the most friendly Saints fan I know of so if anybody deserves a good pot roast it should be you. I still hope Jameis throws about 75 ints this year but you I just can't be a "meanie head" to due to your friendly easy going in saints fan like nature. I think you may be just confused and you should probably consider defecting over to Panthers fandom. You could be Iron Panther and you could bitch with me about wanting coach Rhule fired and you could tell us all about the days of good coaching with Sean Payton (great coach but what a douche). It would be a good match. You spend enough time here that you should probably just turn your back on your buddies and come be a fan of this team and get your laugh roast and pot roast banquet we discussed.

• Beer 2