• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for wide receiver Laviska Shenault

joemac

From what I have seen of him (and granted, that is looking at videos in the last 18 or so hours), there are three things that jump out at me as positives:

• His size should translate in the ability to finish off plays, such as 3rd and 7s and red zone plays. 
  • From what I saw, #1 is true.  He is not afraid to take on defenders.  Most of the videos showed him turning upfield if there was only one defender between him and advancing the football, even in situations where he was on the sidelines.  If you are going to be 6’-1” and 227, you might as well take advantage of it, and he has demonstrated he is willing to do that.  So he not only has the bulk, but is willing to use it.  The first time I noticed that I was thinking how much we could have used that on the play against the Bears a couple of years ago when Ian Thomas caught a pass a yard shy of the first down maker and didn't get it.
  • His route running is pretty good, including reading and adjusting to the coverage.  I think McAdoo will put that to good use, since he uses routes to get receivers isolated.  We could see him clearing out zones of the field to get others open, or finding seams in the underneath – mid depths to get himself open.

If they are going to use him out of the backfield or in a hybrid position, that last one is important.  He can use that to make himself available (and then bull for first downs) or draw attention from LBs and open up part of the field a little deeper for someone else.

Hopefully he works out and doesn’t have a lot of other issues.  The drops issue is a concern, but without seeing them (and nobody makes videos showing receivers dropping footballs for 5 minutes), it is hard to substantiate.

As for Kiper, no joke, Mel.  A guy this size that runs a 4.58 40 is not an outside receiver?  Geez, glad I was sitting down for that.  I thought we were getting Jerry Rice.  Dipstick.

Edited by Sgt Schultz
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, poundaway said:

Hey you're right.  I never really noticed.  Kyle Shanahan was 10-22 his first two seasons, before he found his QB.  I'll bet 9ers fans were calling for his head.   Thanks for pointing out the parallel frankie.🤔

You're actually comparing him to Rhule? 🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Actually, I was pointing out that you were, so I guess your laughing at yourself. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I know you're salty and looking to settle a score but you've actually attempted to make that comparison before. If Rhule can turn this roster around and have us that competitive in our division and the rest of the conference I'll be the first to eat crow and congratulate him.

• Beer 2