• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official 2023 QB Watch

saX man

Meanwhile...

There are 2 QBs in the free agent market from this past draft that can bring you Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme type players. Who would ever want a QB like them? Leave them on the street, am I right?

Tampa Bay's front office has their eyes on one of them when Tom Brady says goodbye and Trask flames out.

Let's roll the dice on a risky 1st round QB that rarely ever develops into a franchise QB for a dynasty.

3 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Meanwhile...

There are 2 QBs in the free agent market from this past draft that can bring you Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme type players. Who would ever want a QB like them? Leave them on the street, am I right?

Tampa Bay's front office has their eyes on one of them when Tom Brady says goodbye and Trask flames out.

Let's roll the dice on a risky 1st round QB that rarely ever develops into a franchise QB for a dynasty.

If you look around the league half of the starters are first round picks. Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Fields, Rodgers, Mahomes, Jackson, Tua, Allen, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Murray, Lance. Plus several have first round QBs that were acquired via trade in the Rams, Lions, Commanders, Falcons (FA), and Panthers. The Steelers also drafted their future QB this year in the first. 

I get some of these players aren’t great, but they are starting QBs in the NFL meaning there aren’t many better options for these franchises. So the odds of getting your future starter are in drafting one in the first. A Warner or Delhomme are much more rare to come by plus we have little cap next year to try to sign one. 

23 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

If you look around the league half of the starters are first round picks. Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Fields, Rodgers, Mahomes, Jackson, Tua, Allen, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Murray, Lance. Plus several have first round QBs that were acquired via trade in the Rams, Lions, Commanders, Falcons (FA), and Panthers. The Steelers also drafted their future QB this year in the first. 

I get some of these players aren’t great, but they are starting QBs in the NFL meaning there aren’t many better options for these franchises. So the odds of getting your future starter are in drafting one in the first. A Warner or Delhomme are much more rare to come by plus we have little cap next year to try to sign one. 

Those guys are just doing it wrong, all you have to do is grab Brady in the 6th and then win 6 super bowls. 

Or you can sign a FA from your local food lion and turn him into Kurt Warner.

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

On 9/27/2022 at 7:42 AM, ForJimmy said:

QB breakdown for the best QB in the NFL draft for an entire decade is 3 1st rounders, 4 2nd to 7th rounders, and 3 8th round + / undrafted. It's been like that for decades. The fact that the NFL is 1st round heavy lately tells you that they are messing up like they do most of the time on QB. It's just really bad now and it shows on the field. Cooper Rush is demonstrating this right now.

They're not rare. They are out there and continue to be overlooked.

60s Charley Johnson, Daryle Lamonica, Roger Staubach HoF, James Harris, Jim Hart

70s Brian Sipe, Steve DeBerg, Warren Moon, Jim Zorn

80s Dave Krieg, Bobby Hebert*, Mike Tomczak**,

90s Brad Johnson, Trent Green, Kurt Warner HoF, Jeff Garcia, Jon Kitna, Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbeck*, Damon Huard*

00s Tony Romo, Matt Moore, Brian Hoyer**, Billy Volek**, Shaun Hill**, 

10s Case Keenum**, Cooper Rush**, Brett Rypien, Kyle Allen**

20s ??? Tyler Huntley, Shane Buechele, Aqeel Glass, Jack Coan ???

* runner-up to HoF QBs

** Top 5 most productive in draft class

The top 96 QBs in NFL history with the most GWD (Steve Young tied for 88th with 8 other QBs to offer perspective): 20 of them are 8th round+/undrafted. So, about 1 in every 5 top QBs has not been drafted in rounds 1 through 7. I'm sure all of these 1st round QBs you mentioned are going to blow right past all these overlooked QBs at some point, right? 

This is far from rare and has a consistent pattern over a long period of time. A top heavy 1st round QB league tells you there are multiple hidden gems waiting to be uncovered. Instead, the Teddys, Mayfields, and Darnolds keep getting a second try at failure in the NFL. I'd take Kyle Allen over Darnold and he could likely beat out Baker.

Also, 12 of the #2 QBs in the NFL now are undrafted. Seems significant for all those undrafted QBs to be beating out all those 1st round QBs over the past 10 drafts. What happened to all those 1st round QBs from those undrafted QBs draft classes?

It's not rare. Front offices overrate and overlook QBs all the time. They just have too much pride and let QBs like Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Josh Rosen, EJ Manuel, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Mitchell Trubisky, Dwayne Haskins, Kyler Murray, and Daniel Jones keep losing for their franchises. I'll hold off final judgement on the past 3 drafts, but it looks like Justin Herbert, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, and Kenny Pickett are going to continue that first round flame out/retread trend ala Mayfield and Darnold. I know they all have their fans. Mayfield and Darnold still seem to have some fans that think they have what it takes to win at the highest level in the NFL.

Edited by CPantherKing

I am seriously undecided on these top 3 guys right now.  For those that like Levis there are a few things that stand out initially.  Keeps the ball high and has an quick compact release.  Big arm.  But the most impressive thing is how he sticks in the pocket and keeps his eyes down field with pressure.  The other two leave the pocket quickly.  That said Stroud is ridiculous passing on the move…he is incredibly accurate on the move as passer.  Will be cool watching each guy against top comp which is coming soon

I still at this point think Young is the best at playing QB.  The IT factor is amazing with him.  So good at being a leader and difference maker at the position 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

I am seriously undecided on these top 3 guys right now.  For those that like Levis there are a few things that stand out initially.  Keeps the ball high and has an quick compact release.  Big arm.  But the most impressive thing is how he sticks in the pocket and keeps his eyes down field with pressure.  The other two leave the pocket quickly.  That said Stroud is ridiculous passing on the move…he is incredibly accurate on the move as passer.  Will be cool watching each guy against top comp which is coming soon

I still at this point think Young is the best at playing QB.  The IT factor is amazing with him.  So good at being a leader and difference maker at the position 

If Young had a bigger frame and height, he would probably be the top pick no question. With Baker struggling to see clearly in the pocket and Kyler as well, the height thing worries me for a top pick. Stroud is one of the best pure passers, and Levis probably has the highest floor IMO. Richardson has the highest ceiling, but needs a ton of work still like Josh Allen did (I wouldn’t trust that with a top pick).

I still think people are overlooking Cameron Ward. Great arm, speed and stays calm in the pocket. He broke records in the lower division and is looking the part in a power 5 conference. He throws a lot of passes too in a system similar to the one Mahomes ran in college.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

If Young had a bigger frame and height, he would probably be the top pick no question. With Baker struggling to see clearly in the pocket and Kyler as well, the height thing worries me for a top pick. Stroud is one of the best pure passers, and Levis probably has the highest floor IMO. Richardson has the highest ceiling, but needs a ton of work still like Josh Allen did (I wouldn’t trust that with a top pick).

I still think people are overlooking Cameron Ward. Great arm, speed and stays calm in the pocket. He broke records in the lower division and is looking the part in a power 5 conference. He throws a lot of passes too in a system similar to the one Mahomes ran in college.

My top 2 are Levi's and Ward, I'm a big fan of mid tier college QBs. I think they face more pressure and have to throw into tighter windows so they are more prepared for the NFL game. I would take either of those, especially Ward if we could get him I the second.

• Pie 2