• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official 2023 QB Watch

saX man

2 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Again, does him being 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier really make THAT much difference?

That's the ultimate in nitpicking. 

2 inches will make a difference as well as frame. Josh Allen only has 3 inches on Aaron Rodgers and obviously a much bigger frame, but that completely changes things. 6’ is very small for a QB, but teams have made it work with Brees, Murray, Russ etc… Lower than 6’ and you have just Murray who has already had some injuries. GMs love their statistical history. 

Kyler Murray is 5'10". Russell Wilson is 5'11". Drew Brees was listed at 6'0" but I'll bet you anything was a little below that.

I'm not saying it's not an advantage for a QB to be taller, but it's also not something that is going to make them good on its own. If Bryce Young measures at 5'10" or 5'11" at the combine is that one inch REALLY the difference between him being a potential Drew Brees vs. a potential Baker Mayfield? And if he measures at 6'0" does that mean he's now safe to take in the top-5?

All I'm saying is: look at everything he does well before writing him off because of an inch or two.

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Kyler Murray is 5'10". Russell Wilson is 5'11". Drew Brees was listed at 6'0" but I'll bet you anything was a little below that.

I'm not saying it's not an advantage for a QB to be taller, but it's also not something that is going to make them good on its own. If Bryce Young measures at 5'10" or 5'11" at the combine is that one inch REALLY the difference between him being a potential Drew Brees vs. a potential Baker Mayfield? And if he measures at 6'0" does that mean he's now safe to take in the top-5?

All I'm saying is: look at everything he does well before writing him off because of an inch or two.

All of those (aside from Brees) have much bigger frames than Young.  Also Wilson is struggling now that he can't use his legs as well and Murray is up and down (teams want to keep in the pocket).  There is a reason why it's not the norm.  Below 6'0" and under 200 might work in college behind a big Alabama OL, (and he has already been injured this year), but the big question is can it withstand getting hit by a huge NFL DL or LB.  Brees got the ball out quick and rarely got hit.  Young likes to buy time with his legs which is great, but usually results in contact.  He has great traits, but longevity and durability have to be two huge concerns with him.  

Don't get me wrong, if we draft him I will be excited and hope he can stay healthy because if he can he looks legit.  I just have Stroud higher in my rankings because of the size issue.  

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

All of those (aside from Brees) have much bigger frames than Young.  Also Wilson is struggling now that he can't use his legs as well and Murray is up and down (teams want to keep in the pocket).  There is a reason why it's not the norm.  Below 6'0" and under 200 might work in college behind a big Alabama OL, (and he has already been injured this year), but the big question is can it withstand getting hit by a huge NFL DL or LB.  Brees got the ball out quick and rarely got hit.  Young likes to buy time with his legs which is great, but usually results in contact.  He has great traits, but longevity and durability have to be two huge concerns with him.  

Don't get me wrong, if we draft him I will be excited and hope he can stay healthy because if he can he looks legit.  I just have Stroud higher in my rankings because of the size issue.  

Wilson is struggling now for the first time in 10+ year.

Wilson was only 5 pounds heavier coming out than Young currently.  Wilson’s body has held up better than Cam, Luck, Wentz, etc who were 6’5 240+ pound guys.

height got you scared? Stunning stat for you.  Kyler Murray hasn’t been at the top of betted passes.  In fact Hebert and Josh Allen were 1 and 2 last year in that category.  Both are 6’5 or taller.

The league has changed.  This isn’t your big stiff hang in the pocket QB league anymore.
heck Patrick Mahomes spends as much time of not more time out of the pocket.  Same with Joe Burrow.  Also watching Tape.  When in the Pocket, Young’s vision is elite and knows where to step up in the pocket and in the lane to get clean passes off.  This is something Bree’s was good at.

funny while we are on Brees.  That dude in college at Purdue wasn’t the quick trigger,  he used his feet a lot and well.

Edited by ncfan

14 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Wilson is struggling now for the first time in 10+ year.

Wilson was only 5 pounds heavier coming out than Young currently.  Wilson’s body has held up better than Cam, Luck, Wentz, etc who were 6’5 240+ pound guys.

height got you scared? Stunning stat for you.  Kyler Murray hasn’t been at the top of betted passes.  In fact Hebert and Josh Allen were 1 and 2 last year in that category.  Both are 6’5 or taller.

The league has changed.  This isn’t your big stiff hang in the pocket QB league anymore.
heck Patrick Mahomes spends as much time of not more time out of the pocket.  Same with Joe Burrow.  Also watching Tape.  When in the Pocket, Young’s vision is elite and knows where to step up in the pocket and in the lane to get clean passes off.  This is something Bree’s was good at.

funny while we are on Brees.  That dude in college at Purdue wasn’t the quick trigger,  he used his feet a lot and well.

I'm not scared about batted passes??  I don't think I even mentioned batted passes?  It's durability more than anything.  Young already missed a game this year getting hit by college players.  Russ might be an exception to the rule, but he may have just been in a good situation as Geno Smith is looking legit in Seattle and Russ is looking average away from their system.  Kyler Murray has already had injuries as well.  I also never said Young was bad in the pocket.  I said Murray was been up and down when teams make him stay in the pocket.  Again Young checks a lot of boxes, but durability has to be a concern and I'm not alone in this thought.  More drafts have Stroud over Young than don't and the major factor is Young's size.  It will be interesting to see where Young actually measures out at the combine, because he looks a lot leaner than Russ (but he can probably add weight to his frame).  

On 11/4/2022 at 4:08 PM, ForJimmy said:

I like Ward a lot.  He was my favorite early in the season, but I think he returns another year and fixes a few things.  

Idk. I think he should leave now. Next year Williams, Maye, and even AR15 if he decides to sta will all be better than him. If he leaves now and blows up in the combine, I can see him no worse than 4th, more likely 3rd with the way Levis is playing now.

Edit: Just give him the Mahomes treatment, keep PJ and compete while developing. 

Edited by ENC Pantherfan