• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cleveland's run preferences vs our defense's strengths and weaknesses

Mr. Scot

A timely post by our buddy John Ellis...

In summary, Cleveland's run game last season worked best going either wide left, off tackle right, off tackle left or wide right.

Teams running against us tended to prefer going up the middle but had their best success off tackle / wide left or off tackle right.

Sad to say this doesn't exactly constitute a ringing endorsement of Brian burns as a run defender last season 😕

Bottom line though? They run well in areas of the field where we've recently been weak.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 4

This is why I would be hesitant to pay Burns elite EDGE money which is what he's gonna be demanding in extension talks. Teams always run towards him and he gets abused in the run game. If he doesn't improve against the run or at least hits double digit sacks this year I would worry. *7 out of 9* of his sacks last year was when he came in completely unblocked.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, Vox said:

This is why I would be hesitant to pay Burns elite EDGE money which is what he's gonna be demanding in extension talks. Teams always run towards him and he gets abused in the run game. If he doesn't improve against the run or at least hits double digit sacks this year I would worry. *7 out of 9* of his sacks last year was when he came in completely unblocked.

I like Burns, but sad to say questioning his effectiveness against the run is a fair and valid criticism.

I know the team's been trying to bulk him up pretty much since he was drafted.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don't know, but then stats aren't really my thing.

I vaguely remember seeing that we gave up something like 4 yards per carry last year.

You just started an entire thread based on stats posted by Ellis.

1 minute ago, Gerry Green said:

We were 8th in yards per carry at 4.1 ypc.

That doesn't seem to fit the narrative that we have one of the worst run defenses in the league like some around here would claim.

• Pie 2
  • The D 1

Just now, AU-panther said:

You just started an entire thread based on stats posted by Ellis.

That doesn't seem to fit the narrative that we have one of the worst run defenses in the league like some around here would claim.

It's a look at where they run vs where we defend the best/worst.

But if you feel like you can defend the idea that we had a good run defense last year, be my guest 😆

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

It's a look at where they run vs where we defend the best/worst.

But if you feel like you can defend the idea that we had a good run defense last year, be my guest 😆

I don't remember saying we had a good run defense.  My point is that relative to the rest of the league we were not as bad as some around here would have you believe.

Compared to the rest of the league where do you think our run defense ranks?

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I don't remember saying we had a good run defense.  My point is that relative to the rest of the league we were not as bad as some around here would have you believe.

Compared to the rest of the league where do you think our run defense ranks?

I don't really give a sh-t.

There are only two "rankings" that matter: Good...or bad. And the only question that really needs to be answered is whether the unit we put out on the field is better or worse than the one they're going against.

That's not decided based on rankings.

Edited by Mr. Scot