• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cleveland's run preferences vs our defense's strengths and weaknesses

Mr. Scot

We were 18th in rush yards per game allowed last year, 126 at home and 102 on the road. Link Cleveland was 12th 109.

Cleveland was 4th in rushing yards per game, 146 away. Link We were 20th at 108. 

If they are smart they will run as much as possible. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

16 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

You just started an entire thread based on stats posted by Ellis.

That doesn't seem to fit the narrative that we have one of the worst run defenses in the league like some around here would claim.

I'm not quite sure myself why so many are dogging our run D. It seemed rather respectable to me. I guess it comes with fans always wanting the best. The best QB, the best the best this, and the best that kind of thing.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't really give a sh-t.

There are only two "rankings" that matter: Good...or bad. And the only question that really needs to be answered is whether the unit we put out on the field is better or worse than the one they're going against.

That's not decided based on rankings.

Good and bad are relative terms, so unless you are watching every game of every team your "eye test" is incomplete.  All you are doing is comparing them to an artificial standard that is being applied in a vacuum.

Answer this, If a team is one of the top 10 teams in the league vs the run are they really that bad????  At the very least you have to admit they aren't one of the worst like some would have you believe.

• Pie 2

This suggests to me the linebackers were an issue as well. Additionally the current defense appears to be more read and react which is usually more effective against the run versus selling out on every down to pressure the qb.  Maybe this is my wish and won't come true but I think we are emphasizing stopping the run more this year.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Good and bad are relative terms, so unless you are watching every game of every team your "eye test" is incomplete.  All you are doing is comparing them to an artificial standard that is being applied in a vacuum.

Answer this, If a team is one of the top 10 teams in the league vs the run are they really that bad????  At the very least you have to admit they aren't one of the worst like some would have you believe.

Are they winning or losing?

If the answer is losing, then yes, they're that bad.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Are they winning or losing?

If the answer is losing, then yes, they're that bad.

So, if a team scored the 8th most points in the league but they were losing games you would say they had one of the worst offenses in the league?  That is comical.

When in doubt hide behind the "winning and losing card".

I do agree that at the end of the day winning and losing is all that matters but it is possible to evaluate parts of the team independent of that.

Fact is we were close to average in yards allowed rushing per game, 18th.

2021 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

but we were actually 8th in yards per attempt

Here again, no where near as bad as some around here would have you believe.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

So, if a team scored the 8th most points in the league but they were losing games you would say they had one of the worst offenses in the league?  That is comical.

When in doubt hide behind the "winning and losing card".

I do agree that at the end of the day winning and losing is all that matters but it is possible to evaluate parts of the team independent of that.

Fact is we were close to average in yards allowed rushing per game, 18th.

but we were actually 8th in yards per attempt

Here again, no where near as bad as some around here would have you believe.

If you're happy about a team having one great unit or another while they're losing games, I'd say your priorities could probably use a tweak.

As to evaluating units, I'm fine with it. But I do that by actually watching how they perform, not looking up where they rank.

And as a good example of what's really important, see this from above.

29 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

YPC doesnt really matter. 

When we knew the run was coming last year we could not stop it. 

When that's where you're at "but we ranked 8th" doesn't really mean a damn thing.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

44 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

I'm not quite sure myself why so many are dogging our run D. It seemed rather respectable to me. I guess it comes with fans always wanting the best. The best QB, the best the best this, and the best that kind of thing.

Our run D was boom or bust. These stats don't show the number of explosive runs. We had a lots of tackles for a loss as well that balanced it out somewhat. The thing is, when we needed boom our run D would bust. Basically, looks okay on paper, but really inconsistent. Really solid early game and would fall apart in the 3rd qtr. You can speculate on the who's and why's, but consistency was the issue.

I honestly feel a good offense will fix our defense. If we have league average offense, we will legit have a top 10 defense. Not just on paper (or in select stats*).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

This was the first example of the season that paved the way for others

dal.png&h=100&w=100Dallas Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Ezekiel Elliott 20 143 7.2 1 47
Tony Pollard 10 67 6.7 0 18
Dak Prescott 4 35 8.8 0 21
TEAM 34 245 7.2 1 47

Panthers gave up 100+ rushing yards in most games they lost last season so that’s a lot. Their rush defense statistics were wildly thrown off by the first 3 games of the season. The defense wasn’t that good.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I think our numbers are a tad skewed.  I think that is why our run defense is doubted. 

If team A allowed 4 ypc and 100 rush yards per game and team B allowed the exact same numbers…..that doesn’t necessarily make them comparable run defenses in reality.   There are other factors.  If team A played the best 17 rush offenses and team B played the 17 worst….team A has a better run D. 

we played the 32nd, 31st x2, 30th, 27th, 26th x2,  24th rush offenses.  That’s basically half the schedule catching the worst of the worst in terms of opposing rush offenses. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3