• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone here built a backyard office/shed?

hepcat

I have an 10x16 Graceland building. Cleared, leveled and laid crush & run on a 14x20 space. Prepainted, 1 window, delivered and set up for $3300 (2014).

I had it completely wired last year and it went from being a storage/utility/shop to a functioning workshop ahead of my retirement. It's about 50' from the house, so the underground wiring, 10 outlets, outside outlet, outside floodlights over the door, 30A panel inside all cost me $2k.

Will be installing a small window AC unit this winter. Bought some castlerock landscape blocks from a neighbor ($20 for 2 pallets) to finish around the outside and spread cedar to keep the grass & weeds from creeping in.

Shed.jpg.2c60f6775371e1fc4cef130041f0ff8f.jpg

Edited by Anybodyhome

On 9/12/2022 at 2:11 PM, hepcat said:

Progress made over the weekend. Retaining wall almost done being installed. Ordered the Tuff Shed. Install probably late this week or early next week!

IMG_1921.thumb.JPG.3954c22e3ba717af2fe35052e906f212.JPG

1854157943_ScreenShot2022-09-12at11_45_13AM.thumb.png.98f79d9f855257e25a837d41f91b3d61.png

Hat's off to ya, I think I would have just poured concrete.

I probably would have stick framed it, but probably not smart if needed sooner rather than later.

Just now, Anybodyhome said:

How's the permitting process and inspections where you are? Fairly quick and hopefully not waiting for days to do a foundation final, etc.?

I didn’t need a permit for this. I just needed to be 5ft from the rear and side property lines, be less than 15ft tall, not have any plumbing, etc.

https://www.austintexas.gov/permittingatx/projects/shed/define

I could have done a slab. Just the fact it was on such a huge slope made me think a slab would crack eventually. 

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I didn’t need a permit for this. I just needed to be 5ft from the rear and side property lines, be less than 15ft tall, not have any plumbing, etc.

I could have done a slab. Just the fact it was on such a huge slope made me think a slab would crack eventually. 

You're fortunate. Most municipalities and counties require foundation permit and inspection, regardless of what is sitting on top of it. Electrical?

30 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Yea, a slab is what I would have done there, but all good.

Saw the post about who you would hire and having to get a permit, can you pull it yourself?

31 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Yea, a slab is what I would have done there, but all good.

Saw the post about who you would hire and having to get a permit, can you pull it yourself?

No, it would need to be a licensed electrician. I might just do it myself because there's already a conduit and line run to the shed. We had our electrical panel upgraded/brought up to code back in June and the electrician pre-ran a conduit and line to the shed location.

31 minutes ago, hepcat said:

No, it would need to be a licensed electrician. I might just do it myself because there's already a conduit and line run to the shed. We had our electrical panel upgraded/brought up to code back in June and the electrician pre-ran a conduit and line to the shed location.

Yea, I'd just do it myself if you are comfortable.

I powered my building last year, and built a tin roofed lean to shed off of it and powered it a couple months ago.  Electrical is simple, not a whole lot of problem solving, just do it correct and move on.