• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

baker is a franchise quarterback

PhillyB

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ask any NFL player, regardless of how many years they've played, whether or not they'll look better with more reps or not.

As far as the batted passed, that was a particular emphasis by Stefanski. He had told his D-line guys to make sure they got up in the air a lot specifically to try and do that because he expected quick drops and was familiar with Mayfield's typical trajectory.

Look to me like McAdoo probably made some adjustments on the dropback to account for that because we didn't see it so much in the second half (if at all).

That's not unusual for dline to be reminded to get their hands up. Our dline does the same thing. Every dline we face is going to do the same thing.

McAdoo got Baker out of the pocket so he could see the field better, especially on the long TD pass to Robbie. 

To beat Baker you keep him in the pocket and knock down his passes.  He has to move around in the pocket looking for throwing lanes to be effective.  If he can't, well, you get games like yesterday. 

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I'm so confused about how Baker sucks but Justin Fields has proven he's a franchise QB 😂  their performances couldn't have been more similar.  They both had trash first halves (Fields was MUCH worse, going 3/9 for 19 yards, an INT, and a 2.8 passer rating) but stepped it up in the second half.  Either they're both trash or they're both franchise QBs if you're going off of Week 1.  The difference was, Fields' defense allowed 10 points and Bakers' allowed 26 points.  That's it.

Maybe Fields will end up becoming a franchise QB, but based on last season + yesterday's game?  Hilarious.  I don't think it's any coincidence that the people already anointing him as such, are the ones who were pounding the table for him before the draft.

Baker was better than Fields yesterday.  Fortunately for Fields, Trey Lance was far worse than Cleveland's qb.  

21 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He bounced back nicely after a pretty awful 1st half.

I'm most concerned about our OL and D. If they weren't playing a backup QB they have us blown out early.

I was at the game so it was hard to tell what was going on 

I watched the replay today and my god, that offensive line was bad, even Moton and OC  did zero to help Ickey.

They carry all these damned TEs and they couldn’t put one in the backfield to help block

…and that defense is horrid   Just horrid   It is going to be a long year 

if it gets Rhule out of here, that would be worth it.  

What NFL coach with 1 min plus left, that can get a first down inside the five plays for a damned FG..depending in a defense that stopped them all day   It is mind boggling 

god help me 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I'm so confused about how Baker sucks but Justin Fields has proven he's a franchise QB 😂  their performances couldn't have been more similar.  They both had trash first halves (Fields was MUCH worse, going 3/9 for 19 yards, an INT, and a 2.8 passer rating) but stepped it up in the second half.  Either they're both trash or they're both franchise QBs if you're going off of Week 1.  The difference was, Fields' defense allowed 10 points and Bakers' allowed 26 points.  That's it.

Maybe Fields will end up becoming a franchise QB, but based on last season + yesterday's game?  Hilarious.  I don't think it's any coincidence that the people already anointing him as such, are the ones who were pounding the table for him before the draft.

I don't think many are saying Fields is a franchise QB yet.  He has just flashed potential last year with little talent around him and Nagy coaching him.  He started off rough in week one on a soaked field with a new offense and seemed to settle down as the game progressed.  I would be excited if he was doing this as a Panther.

I also think Baker played fine yesterday (rough in the first and damn near elite in the 4th).  People blaming the loss on him didn't want him on the team and are determined to be right.  They are ignoring us refusing to run the ball, our terrible run defense, and Baker getting sacked 4 times in the first half.  He stayed calm and rallied our team to take the lead with just over a minute left.  

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I was at the game so it was hard to tell what was going on 

I watched the replay today and my god, that offensive line was bad, even Moton and OC  did zero to help Ickey.

They carry all these damned TEs and they couldn’t put one in the backfield to help block

…and that defense is horrid   Just horrid   It is going to be a long year 

if it gets Rhule out of here, that would be worth it.  

What NFL coach with 1 min plus left, that can get a first down inside the five plays for a damned FG..depending in a defense that stopped them all day   It is mind boggling 

god help me 

Thomas was lined up later next to Ickey but he blew some blocks too. Can not belive we paid that dud. He catches passes when the D forgets to cover him because he is 99% invisible during a game. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Thomas was lined up later next to Ickey but he blew some blocks too. Can not belive we paid that dud. He catches passes when the D forgets to cover him because he is 99% invisible during a game. 

Yeah, he also missed a block that caused CMC to get totally blown up in the backfield 

he has been in the league long enough to be able to understand the play and block his man.

cmc had a lot of running room had he made that block 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

How dare you bring facts to a Huddlers argument. The huddle wants Baker burned at the stake, and let Elflien and the Defense off with a warning. Talk about overreacting, the huddle is gonna huddle. Baker will be fine, give the team some time to gel, something we didn’t do in preseason. Cleveland sucked to but had great line play on both sides, and a terrific run game.

The defense is where our focus should be. How disappointing it was to let Cleveland push us around.