• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

baker is a franchise quarterback

PhillyB

7 hours ago, PhillyB said:

today sucked but this season might not.

I can agree with that. With some good coaching backing him up, a decent game plan and an offensive like that can block he showed signs that he could be pretty damn good especially in the second half. I'm very curious to how composed he seems the rest of the way as the season goes especially during rough times.

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

We need that the whole game. Yes, he finally woke up after the half but that's was after the other team had a comfortable lead. The up and down is exactly why he's playing for Matt Rhule, the same reason Sam is with Matt Rhule, they both are inconsistent.

They'll fool you into thinking they're actually starters when they are far from it. We need a rebuild, not false hope.

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I didn't expect our CBs to play so poorly. We're fortunate Brissett took awhile to settle in. He missed a lot of open guys early.

He is basically Tyrod Taylor so there is only so much concern to have. Also, some of his throws he was "beating" our DB's on were hard to get too upset about. He did have a few that were great catches by the WR and well placed by him. 

IMO the secondary was more than good enough to win. A little sloppy but overall pretty good.

6 hours ago, rippadonn said:

We need that the whole game. Yes, he finally woke up after the half but that's was after the other team had a comfortable lead. The up and down is exactly why he's playing for Matt Rhule, the same reason Sam is with Matt Rhule, they both are inconsistent.

They'll fool you into thinking they're actually starters when they are far from it. We need a rebuild, not false hope.

So a QB that can bring a team back from a 13 point deficit in the fourth and give them a chance to win is something nobody wants in a QB?

Edited by jfra78
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, TheBigKat said:

Baker reminds me a lot of Jake. He’s a gamer, good enough to will his way to win but not gifted like Cam to just solely dominate. We can win with Baker and he’s the best QB we’ve had since 2019 Newton

He is exactly who the browns fans told us he was.  Fiery competitor that is streaky, throws too many wtf balls, has passes batted down a bunch has to clean throwing lanes to be effective.   We probably can sneak a few wins out with a guy like that but in no way shape or form is he anywhere remotely close to a long term answer

Just now, philit99 said:

Absolutely not. 4/5 were on the center. Every snap was low. The one behind center is tough to pin on, could have been Baker could have been the center. Since Elflien struggled all game, I would blame him.

https://theathletic.com/3585009/2022/09/11/panthers-baker-mayfield-loss-browns-officiating/

"But there was a lot of bad that put the Panthers in that spot to start with, including an inauspicious first half by Baker Mayfield, who threw four batted passes and an interception before halftime. Mayfield also mishandled four snaps, three of which were his fault."

I feel like Baker honestly could be a franchise guy BUT with a competent coaching staff. He isn’t going to carry incompetent coaches like Cam was able to for a few years

So my worry is that while Tepper is hellbent on proving the “basement” crowd wrong about Rhule he pisses away an opportunity to turn Baker into a franchise guy 

Then next year we’re looking for a coach and a QB. 

If there is one positive to starting 0-1 I have to think that leash got a lot shorter for Rhule yesterday. He lays another stinker in MetLife and at home to the Saints and maybe they’ll be enough time to salvage the Mayfield experiment 

• Beer 1

Baker was great in the 4th. But those first two quarters versus the last are a perfect example of the up and down nature of the flaws within his game and why he was available. He's who we've got so I'm on board but he's got tons to prove just like anyone else and there are 16 more games for him to show it.

• Beer 1