• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The "L" is mostly on First Half Baker

Khaki Lackey

1 minute ago, PantherGuy said:

I see your reasoning, but the run defense was bad from the first snap.

I agree, but we know the run D is a liability and the TOP really exaggerated it. The second half showed me that when the QB play wasn't awful (and Elflein is partially to blame also for all the bad snaps) that the run game improved and the run D improved too. (usually teams that are bad against the run wear out and get worse as the game goes on, whereas we actually got better.)

The Huddle: "We lost the game because of Baker, no Matt Rhule was at fault, no Ben MacAdoo was at fault, no the run defense was at fault, no the O-line was at fault, no Ikem was at fault, no Dave Tepper's wife was at fault, no Sir Purr was at fault, no Darin Gantt was at fault, no Mike Craft was at fault, fire everyone" !!! 

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Do you know what the time of possession was in the first versus second halves?

16min (1st half) and 22min (2nd half) roughly. Our 3 scoring drives in the 2nd half were an accumulative total of almost 6min... which is eye opening.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

The Huddle: "We lost the game because of Baker, no Matt Rhule was at fault, no Ben MacAdoo was at fault, no the run defense was at fault, no the O-line was at fault, no Ikem was at fault, no Dave Tepper's wife was at fault, no Sir Purr was at fault, no Darin Gantt was at fault, no Mike Craft was at fault, fire everyone" !!! 

The Huddle:

75% - Its Matt Rhule

16% - I'm really trying hard here to hold out hope

9% - why are these clowns messing things up for Matt Rhule!  What did you expect? Rattles off a list of excuses longer than Matt Rhule himself would. 

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

12 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Are you asking me if it is the QB's fault for throwing a pick? It appears to me that Baker had a clear pocket and a wide open Shi. image.thumb.png.816c2f8fb2c6390fc0212e179f10b597.png

image.thumb.png.cf8a54785535899ee513e90420996f8c.png

There is literally a guy #20 coming at him unblocked as he is having to rush that throw...  This is how TOs happen all the time.  QBs get uncomfortable because they are constantly getting hit that they rush throws.  After how he looked in that one picture, I'm surprised he was still standing and comfortable enough to get us the lead in the 4th.   Again if we had a different game plan and slowed down their pass rush there is a MUCH higher chance he hangs in there and makes that throw (like he did in the second half).  

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

There is literally a guy #20 coming at him unblocked as he is having to rush that throw...  This is how TOs happen all the time.  QBs get uncomfortable because they are constantly getting hit that they rush throws.  After how he looked in that one picture, I'm surprised he was still standing and comfortable enough to get us the lead in the 4th.   Again if we had a different game plan and slowed down their pass rush there is a MUCH higher chance he hangs in there and makes that throw (like he did in the second half).  

It was a 5 man blitz, not a four man pass rush. This was our third drive and Baker had only been sacked once at this point in the game. The player was 4 yards away when Baker began to throw the ball. If you watched the video you'd probably lean less into him being rush to throw. The player doesnt even touch Baker. 

It was a bad throw by Baker. He is to blame. He had 3 options open on that play. 

Edited by TheCasillas

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

The Huddle:

75% - Its Matt Rhule

16% - I'm really trying hard here to hold out hope

9% - why are these clowns messing things up for Matt Rhule!  What did you expect? Rattles off a list of excuses longer than Matt Rhule himself would. 

Nah that's just you seeing what you want to see. Rhule's done planty to make this team bad, but I've never seen bad QB play overlooked as much as it was on Sunday.

I guess Darnold is a hall of fame talent that's just being held back from Matt Rhule. Or did we actually blame the QB for bad play last year?

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If picks are the coaches fault, I guess Sam Darnold is a really good QB. Why is he not starting?

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I was thinking that too, but I don't think he gets to his second look and makes a good throw before #20 hits him.

#20 never hits him though. I really wish I could screen record this so you can see it. Baker knows where he is going with the ball before the blitz is within 3-4 yards of him. 

OP is 100% correct. Our biggest problem was 1st half Baker. There were other problems, but if Baker did more than go 3 and out for practically a full 30 minutes, the outcome of this game would have been much different.

All the other problems combined, including the defense and the coaching, would not have lost us the game if Baker was competent in the first half. Even just one more drive.