• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The "L" is mostly on First Half Baker

Khaki Lackey

First of all, I apologize for breaking the 24 hour rule. I'm not usually a thread starter but I've felt the need to post this response too many times, so here we go.

If Baker plays halfway decent in the first half, we win that game. His nerves got the best of him, and it showed. For someone who was visibly calm, he didn't play like it. Maybe he's one of those that needs to be fired up to be at his best. I don't know.

I know the training camp reps brigade is out in full force, but I have yet to have any of them explain to me how he regressed from the last preseason game to the season opener because of training camp reps. It should also be noted that the two weeks that he regressed, he was getting all the reps with the ones.

A lot has been made about establish the run game. It's difficult to do when snaps are muffed and all of your second downs are "and ten" and all of your third downs are "and long." Add in batted down passes, incompletions, and a pick, it makes for a lot of three and outs. Once the team gets behind in score, it becomes even more difficult to establish the run. Which leads to..

A defense that is fragile against the power run being on the field the entire half. The TOP battle was pathetic. It's asking way too much for a defense that is vulnerable. I can't find stats by half but I'd bet the TOP was closer in the second and I'd be very curious to see Cleveland's rush yards in each half. (post if you got 'em)

As far as the bad snaps, If you want to blame having Elf out there on Rhule, fair enough. I won't argue with that.

Baker's play in the first half affected the entire game plan and had repercussions on both sides of the ball. The good news, second half Baker was awesome and that's who I expect to see the rest of the year.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

in all honesty, OP does have a point. However, there were many contributing factors. No clear path to identify how we win that game.

Honestly, it's mostly just a bunch of excuses trying to put the blame on Mayfield and deflect it away from the coaching.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

With respect to the OP, why was our gameplan so pass-heavy against a team with vaunted pass rushers against a rookie LT and shitbag for a Center?  We have CMC and Foreman, yet we put Baker in some type of "go prove yourself to the team that kicked you to the curb" redemption story.

As soon as Baker showed signs of his nerves, or whatever that was, we should have adjusted while the game was still even on the scoreboard.  Yet, the coaches doubled-down on the passing attack that wasn't working.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Honestly, it's mostly just a bunch of excuses trying to put the blame on Mayfield and deflect it away from the coaching.

I just dont see a path where you put this all on the coaching. Its going to be split down the middle.

Baker doesnt throw a pick and hits Shi on that route, no points for the Browns.
Henderson doesnt tackle Amari, no points for the browns
Elf and Baker exchange the ball cleanly, we get 5 downs back
Refs call the right calls on the final drive, no points for the browns

You can do the same for the coaches. At the end of the day though, its a two way street. You can blame the HC for the loss bc he is accountable for it, but you cant blame the coaches for the refs and players lack of execution or bonehead decisions. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2