• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Giants: The Previous Game is Under Review

TheCasillas

10 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Seeing that there was some positive feedback from my deep dive of the Panthers offense from Sunday, I've elected to do the same of the Giants Offense and Defense. I am leveraging NFL+ All 22 to do this research. I will highlight some pieces that are worth noting and things we can watch for on Sunday.

Giants Offense:

• The Giants are using Daniel Jones very similiar to how Daboll used Allen. I personally dont think DJ can hold up with this type of beating throughout the year
  • Giants usd a lot of RPO in their offense, and QB keeper was a staple on Sunday
  • Evan Neal at RT, woof.... he was getting destroyed on Sunday by the rush.
  • A lot of pre-snap motion from the Giants attempting to create misidrection opportunities
  • The Giants pass protection is defintely a weakness and I think Daboll knows this with his play designs
  • Most of Daniel Jones passes were underneath and dump offs (the pressure can be partly to blame)
  • Titans were running a 3-3-5 defense and a 2-4 ... when this formation was on the field ... Barkly ate
  • Daniel Jones is a first read or bust type int his game against the Titans 
  • Daniel Jones also shows hesistance in his first read
  • I cant stress how bad Evan Neal looked on a handful of plays at RT, especially against the speed rush
  • Barkley had most of his success when coming out shotgun and the titans were running 2 down line man, 3 lbers 3 safeties. Very odd alignment for a defense. (Image attached)
  • Daniel Jones loves to run if his first read isnt there
  • Giants o-lineman were flagged a few times for holding should have been more
  • Shallow to intermediate crossing routes seem to the be the primary design of the WR routes for the Giants
  • The 60 yarder for SB was a solid play call and put the Titans in a situation where they lined up man while stacking the strong side of the field. The run went weakside. Also, Hooker took a very bad angle on barkley. There were only 3 Titan players on the weakside of the field. Right call at the right time.
  • Titans asked their safeties play run support in in the RZ and the Giants ate that up but riunning 12 personnel
  • Running behind Neal has proven to be unscucessful for the Giants
  • The pass TD for Daniel Jones: The CB was more confused that Hendseron on his PI. Image Below.

Giants Defense:

• Giants definitely sold out for the run on Sunday against the Titans. They constantly fielded at least 4 LBers majority of the time, sometimes 5.
  • Giants kept 7 in the box at least every play against the Titans,  it appears the Titans didnt adjust to this until the 2nd quarter
  • Giants passing defense seemed to be mainly zone calls and with the LBers being on the field it created a lot of gaps
  • Giants got away with a deep PI early in the game
  • Titans passing game allowed the RBs to eat up the linebackers
  • The Titans were able to leverage play action offense against the Giants due to them having so many LBers on the field and playing the run
  • Giants down a couple of ends, and it was notiecable, not many pressures on Tannehill 
  • In obvious passing situations the Giants switched to a  3-3 front
  • Giants defense definitely leans more to a zone scheme 
  • Giants RZ D showed well against the Titans early on
  • When the Titans ran a spread offense they began to exploit the Giants defense a bit more consistently, I dont think the Giants want to find their D in a dime package
  • It appears attacking the outside on run plays is the weakness for the giants
  • Tannehill definitely struggled with accuracy issues and dropped balls - he was hitting the right targets but just couldnt finish
  • Titans defintely tried to get too cute on offense, and shot themselves in the foot quite a bit
  • Right side outside runs eat the Giants up, we need to make this a focal point
  • Tannehill missed more open targets than Mayfield did
  • Image below of the common formation that the Giants ran.
  • If we catch the Giants running man, it will be a good situation for us
  • I have a feeling we are going to see Ickey play like a top pick this weekend, huge change in talent scale from MG

Recap:

• The Giants defense has a sub optimial pass rush
  • They are weakest in man coverage
  • RB consistently beats the LBs on pass coverage
  • Titans and Tannehill are gonna struggle this year
  • Danny Dimes prefers to run than read
  • Saquan feasted the most on outside runs away from Evan Neal
  • Giants special teams is a WEAKNESS
  • Giants pass protection is also a weakness (5 sacks allowed and 6 hurries)
  • Giants use a lot of pre-snap motion

Keys to the game:

• Stack the box and pressure Danny Dimes
  • Attack their zone defense gaps
  • Take advantage of man to man situation especially with CMC/VIsk
  • Run to the outside, specifically to the right
  • Contain Contain Contain

Thanks for reading. Feedback appreciated, and if this too much just tell me stop and I will discontinue these "series"

Long SB run:image.png.0cdb0b9a31e32fc44945c93a97f50957.png

Clueless CB:image.png.ccb431e462d1f11ef935069756b1c265.png(He turns his back and plays sheperd a if his is coming back to ball)

Common defensive formation: image.png.3bdf420cffec1c6dbc0dd64dca86cda4.png

Good work.  I think we win this week.   They had some flunky stuff happen for them last game

One thing OP did not touch on but the Giants DC is Wink Martindale who was the Ravens DC during Bakers entire time in Cleveland and faced him twice a year. 

Baker and Wink both probably have a pretty good understanding of each others tendencies - maybe not to the extent of Browns/Baker but enough so it could be an advantage for the side that's able to capitalize on it. 

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

One thing OP did not touch on but the Giants DC is Wink Martindale who was the Ravens DC during Bakers entire time in Cleveland and faced him twice a year. 

Baker and Wink both probably have a pretty good understanding of each others tendencies - maybe not to the extent of Browns/Baker but enough so it could be an advantage for the side that's able to capitalize on it. 

Good point, but there a gigantic talent shelf compared to Giants and Ravens. Giants are in the process of rebuilding that D. However, I will not bash good coaching... bc that can turn the tides of the game.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Good point, but there a gigantic talent shelf compared to Giants and Ravens. Giants are in the process of rebuilding that D. However, I will not bash good coaching... bc that can turn the tides of the game.

Oh I 1000% agree. 

I dont think it matters enough to be considered a key the game so to speak but more so just a fun added tidbit to think about. 

4 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Jones is a Charlotte kid and loved the panthers. Probably will be playing with a little something extra. Panthers lose this game. 

if his extra something is an additional eye to see the field, then maybe so. If not... he is still going to be Danny Dont See Dimes.

Edited by TheCasillas

Just now, TheCasillas said:

if his extra something is an additional eye to see the field, then maybe so. If not... he is still going to be Danny Dont See Dimes.

You mean that same Danny Dimes who was catching Passes against us last year 

we got the piss beat out of us last year by Joe Judge. Daboll is a better coach. 34-7 NYG

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Great work, TC.

I have only seen a small portion of the Giants game but I was encouraged to see that they only scored 13 points for the first 59 minutes of the game.  And that was despite being a beneficiary of a muffed punt on the 10 yard line (approx).

I think Jones will move the ball better than the Browns but it looks inevitable that he'll turn it over as well.