• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Baker Mayfield too sort.

Green-Ghost

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

this line from the article makes me think no....

Still, on a per-pass level, Mayfield's 2.46 percent passes batted down mark is the second-highest rate in the league among the 30 quarterbacks that have attempted at least 1,000 passes since 2018. The only quarterback with a higher percentage over that span is 6'5" Cam Newton at 2.56 percent.

In terms of most passes batted down per game, Mayfield's 1.04 average is the fifth highest since 2018 behind Minnesota's Kirk Cousins (6'3"), Ryan and Arizona's Kyler Murray (5'10").

Him being on the shorter side, and also the fact that his throwing motions isnt always the classic straight over the top sometimes leads to a lot of batted passes.  But I think he can figure out how to mitigate that to an extent.  At least not have 5 or 6 in one half like last week.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

IDGAF. Baker is who he always has been, better than we have had but not good enough. I'll laugh at those people like I laughed at Teddy is a Franchise QB and Sam is the future people. I'm not going to fault someone for hope but being silly is open season. 

Baker is  twice the QB Sam and Teddy are.  Not saying hes going to be our Franchise guy though.  Teddy and Sam are not exactly a big hill to climb to be better than. 

11 minutes ago, joemac said:

Baker is  twice the QB Sam and Teddy are.  Not saying hes going to be our Franchise guy though.  Teddy and Sam are not exactly a big hill to climb to be better than. 

He has more in common with Teddy and Sam then Brees. Sam is by far the worst because I can't even see him as a backup at this point but Teddy and Baker can be good enough starters in the right settings, not ideal but sure can do a lot worse. I wouldn't say Baker is twice as good as Teddy, just better with no physical limitations that Teddy has and less injuries. None of them are good or great QBs. Baker is fine for this year but he has never shown anything that should stop us from upgrading if it is an option. 

4 hours ago, SammyFranchise said:

if you are short and not in the Drew Brees School of QB then you are doing it wrong.

Thats why Baker sucks. He know where near Brees and Brees didnt have no where near the arm strength Baker has.

Brees is the standard when it comes to short QB and pocket play. Mayfield sucks within the pocket and cant see over his linemen thus he has to leave the pocket for throwing lanes. Baker also has average mobility, so needing a short QB with average mobility who depends on throwing outside the pocket to find throwing lanes is a recipe for disaster.

I expect Baker to be benched sometime when Darnold returns

Brees had a career 65+% accuracy and many 70% completion games. That man was obsessed. The Cleveland press said Baker had his head up his ass for years. THEY said in conclusion he was too short, too slow, too cocky. He may be more humble but what they already know ain't something the QB guru Matt Rhule can fix that's for sure.

• Pie 1