• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Other games

Mr. Scot

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Nah, just a run of the mill concussion. A lot of the time it's not the hit so much as it is the brain getting sloshed around inside the skull. He basically got his head whiplashed off the turf there. And let's be real, he's still recovering from last week's concussion making him far more prone to another one.

That's honestly the biggest problem.  Dude is going to have to retire soon if he's not careful.

4 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

And about Luke, I'll never forget watching that on TV live and it was definitely one of those moments that made you question how long the sport can last as-is.  And then I remember reading here after he retired that someone who knew someone in the org said the reason he was crying was because he temporarily went blind on the field.  That is some of the scariest poo imaginable.

I've gotten knocked the fug out twice. Once in a mountain bike crash and once in a car crash. It's impossible to describe how confusing it is when you wake up. After the car crash I was the same way. Just crazy emotional blabbering on about a situation a good friend found himself in a couple of years prior. Why? No fuging clue. I don't even remember it.

I'm just lucky I never had any lingering effects. 

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

That's honestly the biggest problem.  Dude is going to have to retire soon if he's not careful.

It's weird. Speaking of combat sports, some guys get knocked out once and their "chin" is just gone. They can't take a hit anymore. Other guys can bounce back fine like it never happened. There's a lot about concussions that we just don't understand. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I've gotten knocked the fug out twice. Once in a mountain bike crash and once in a car crash. It's impossible to describe how confusing it is when you wake up. After the car crash I was the same way. Just crazy emotional blabbering on about a situation a good friend found himself in a couple of years prior. Why? No fuging clue. I don't even remember it.

I'm just lucky I never had any lingering effects. 

Yeah I had one from a car crash, couldn't remember my wallet, ordering food at drive thru's and leaving without the food. Took about a week to thankfully get back to normal

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I guess it's just different for me as a fight fan. It's not a common response to a head injury but it's not rare either.

Oh no, I'm a diehard boxing fan and have bern since i as a kid, and have also gotten fairly heavy into MMA.  I've seen guys get knocked out and immediately go rigid, I've seen the guys get KO'd and then start throwing their combos as they're lying on their back that they planned to throw before the lights went out, I've seen guys get KO'd and start fighting the refs lol...  but that one just looked different...  especially for football.

But I will say, outside of the obvious worse-case scenario injuries in football, like Byrd, Reggie Brown, Shazier, etc., the worst concussion I ever remember seeing was as a kid when Dwight Stone was a gunner on ST for us and he got popped and the camera flashed to him and he repeatedly got up and fell back down, but no one came to help...  he just kept falling over, and of course, this was in the 90s, so they said something like they had to see what was going on, glossed over it, went to a commercial break and never addressed it again.  I think the team did later list him with a concussion but he was back out there in a qeek or two, IIRC...  but it just looked scary with no one even coming to help him.  It was similar but a little worse than that Daniel Jones concussion against the Cowboys last season.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's weird. Speaking of combat sports, some guys get knocked out once and their "chin" is just gone. They can't take a hit anymore. Other guys can bounce back fine like it never happened. There's a lot about concussions that we just don't understand. 

My old job, I had a coworker who moved to Charlotte from the Midwest and her son, who was a big kid but needed to get serious with the weights, was very excited about playing his Jr and Sr years of high school football in NC. He didn’t make it thru the season, he got his bell rung big time in a practice and suffered a serious concussion and quit senior year playing FB. 

5 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

My old job, I had a coworker who moved to Charlotte from the Midwest and her son, who was a big kid but needed to get serious with the weights, was very excited about playing his Jr and Sr years of high school football in NC. He didn’t make it thru the season, he got his bell rung big time in a practice and suffered a serious concussion and quit senior year playing FB. 

A buddy of mine I grew up playing with walked on at a D1AA school. He had to admit he just couldn't hack it. He was getting his bell rung in practice everyday. Getting crushing migraines, couldn't sleep, couldn't concentrate. Basically textbook post-concussion syndrome.