• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The "Ted Lasso" theory. Does Tepper have a personal tie to Jerry Richardson?

cardiackat88.

For those of you not fortunate enough to watch Ted Lasso yet. (I have only seen it up to episode 4, season 1, and that was because it was offered on the flight I was on so don't feel bad if you haven't) there is a plotline in it that I feel might could explain a few things here in Carolina.

Basically, an English football club owner intentionally hires a doofus acting coach who's only accomplishment is winning a very low division championship in college football (sound familiar?).

He is a college football coach with no experience coaching soccer, but it hired to coach a professional soccer club in the UK. He even brings along a coach with him of his choosing, who also has never coached soccer (sounding familiar again?)

So, why is he hired? The owner is a (rather foxy) older woman, who was scorned by her billionaire husband. He made a fool out of her with very public cheating scandals, amongst other things. She now owns the team, and she hires Lasso specifically to make the team look bad, and to also lead them to a very poor record. The team meant a lot to her former husband and she is trying to make it a terrible club with all kinds of problems. She does not publicly make this known, but loves the idea of making her husband pay for what he has done.

With this is mind (and other points I am sure I am forgetting) could Tepper have some grudge against Jerry Richardson? Maybe someone Tepper loved slipped on some Bojangles chicken grease and had to get a hip replacement (I actually know this happening in Washington, NC). Perhaps someone he knew ate a chicken bone, choked to death on it, went to hell, and was revived (like Heffer, in Rocko's Modern Life). OR.....was Tepper's niece one of dem girls ole Jerry was goosin' up?

Let me know your outrageous theories! The whackier the better........ 

I could buy the theory minus it being linked to JR.  I think he could be tanking the morale and value to the region to make it easier to detach and move when he demands the city/county/state pay for a new stadium and they/we refuse considering the bad history he now has with the previous tanked deal for HQ and all-time low support from fans.  He then skates out of town.

I dont think this is theory.  It is now what I believe is actually happening. 

• Pie 2

33 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I could buy the theory minus it being linked to JR.  I think he could be tanking the morale and value to the region to make it easier to detach and move when he demands the city/county/state pay for a new stadium and they/we refuse considering the bad history he now has with the previous tanked deal for HQ and all-time low support from fans.  He then skates out of town.

He would have to have assurances from whatever new city he chooses that they would cough up the dough. How do we know San Antonio, London, or Mexico City really want a team that much. Also, the Carolinas are growing every year. I don’t buy this theory

46 minutes ago, cardiackat88. said:

For those of you not fortunate enough to watch Ted Lasso yet. (I have only seen it up to episode 4, season 1, and that was because it was offered on the flight I was on so don't feel bad if you haven't) there is a plotline in it that I feel might could explain a few things here in Carolina.

Basically, an English football club owner intentionally hires a doofus acting coach who's only accomplishment is winning a very low division championship in college football (sound familiar?).

He is a college football coach with no experience coaching soccer, but it hired to coach a professional soccer club in the UK. He even brings along a coach with him of his choosing, who also has never coached soccer (sounding familiar again?)

So, why is he hired? The owner is a (rather foxy) older woman, who was scorned by her billionaire husband. He made a fool out of her with very public cheating scandals, amongst other things. She now owns the team, and she hires Lasso specifically to make the team look bad, and to also lead them to a very poor record. The team meant a lot to her former husband and she is trying to make it a terrible club with all kinds of problems. She does not publicly make this known, but loves the idea of making her husband pay for what he has done.

With this is mind (and other points I am sure I am forgetting) could Tepper have some grudge against Jerry Richardson? Maybe someone Tepper loved slipped on some Bojangles chicken grease and had to get a hip replacement (I actually know this happening in Washington, NC). Perhaps someone he knew ate a chicken bone, choked to death on it, went to hell, and was revived (like Heffer, in Rocko's Modern Life). OR.....was Tepper's niece one of dem girls ole Jerry was goosin' up?

No crazy theory. Tepper/Hurney showed up at Rhule’s house to interview him before the Giants could. He gave them his salesman’s pitch they bought it and hired him because they thought they beat NY to him and Tepper wanted to find the next “McVay”.

Tepper probably believed in him longer than most of us but would be crazy to be so dedicated now.

I think he wants to do 2 things. A) Stick by Matt with the hopes that he doesn’t have to fire him and eat his crow. B) Give Matt a long enough shot so he doesn’t scare off any future candidates.

Tepper’s next choice will be a retread. I’ll put my house on it. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

What’s worth more than an NFL franchise?  

An NFL franchise with no home.

10 hours ago, cardiackat88. said:

Maybe, but change Bojangles to Hardees as thats the fast food chain Richardson started. 

It’s far more sad than that. Tepper like most people in America, hired someone who he bonded with and reminded him of himself. When he should have really put his unconscious biases aside and made a good football decision. It’s why we have to have quotas and diversity and inclusion in corporate America. Tepper hired the guy he felt the most comfortable sitting at the dinner table next to. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

It’s far more sad than that. Tepper like most people in America, hired someone who he bonded with and reminded him of himself. When he should have really put his unconscious biases aside and made a good football decision. It’s why we have to have quotas and diversity and inclusion in corporate America. Tepper hired the guy he felt the most comfortable sitting at the dinner table next to. 

Thank you! Tepper has a bad history with black coaches, meanwhile his most hated coach is still coaching the same team almost a decade after Tepper tried to get him fired.