• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Previous Game is Under Review - Panthers (Week 2 - @ Giants)

TheCasillas

Couple notes...

When Moore was a rookie, it seemed like he was great when he got the ball but it was tough getting him the ball. We called what I felt like were a lot of runs and reverses in order to hand it off to him rather than trying to pass it. That could be related to his route running.

As far as the holding, the league for the last couple of years has basically told refs to go easy on it unless it's absolutely blatant. Some teams are good at taking advantage of that. I don't know that we are.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Chinn. Near as I can tell it's like they looked at him and said "hey he's great at this so maybe he'll be great at that too" and started using him differently. But then he wasn't good at that and they don't seem to want to go back to using him at this.

I don't think the players being out of position is due to depth concerns. I put that on coaches not knowing what they're doing.

Brown can definitely be good. I'm just not sure he can be consistently good.

And as far as going back to more WCO style on the offense, I'm for it. It works pretty well when done right and we've got some ideal personnel for that kind of attack.

Good analysis.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And as far as going back to more WCO style on the offense, I'm for it. It works pretty well when done right and we've got some ideal personnel for that kind of attack.

This would be nice to see. The thing that gets me is the stagnance of our offense. I find it hard to believe that these coaches dont evolve with the game especially when working with other franchises. However, that could be the case here. The only other thing I think we might be observing is that the whole playbook isnt open due to Baker being here for a few months. I saw two plays from that All-22 that we ran twice, enought to a point I had to check to see if I was watching Joe Brady 2021 footage.

I honestly expect that we go full playbook this Sunday against the Saints, for many reasons. If we don't then we are in the land of incompetence at OC 😞 

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

This would be nice to see. The thing that gets me is the stagnance of our offense. I find it hard to believe that these coaches dont evolve with the game especially when working with other franchises. However, that could be the case here. The only other thing I think we might be observing is that the whole playbook isnt open due to Baker being here for a few months. I saw two plays from that All-22 that we ran twice, enought to a point I had to check to see if I was watching Joe Brady 2021 footage.

I honestly expect that we go full playbook this Sunday against the Saints, for many reasons. If we don't then we are in the land of incompetence at OC 😞 

Remember McAdoo spent three or four years there not working for anybody.

And yeah, I've also wondered if we're limiting the playbook. Others have mentioned that Giants fans saw it is normal so who can say?

Edited by Mr. Scot

Best content on the Huddle, hands down. 

Sounds like a healthy combination of coaching ineptitude and poor player execution.  There seem to be a million minor errors here and there where if just one more thing went our way (i.e. an o-lineman holding his block for one more second, or Baker seeing a wide open receiver, or a drop on a pass that could easily have otherwise been a TD, or one of the missed holding calls are made, etc.), then we could be looking at 2-0 instead of 0-2.  With better coaching and scheming on the offensive and defensive side, we would be better positioned to overcome more of these errors, which we will need to do when we play the better teams on our schedule.

So what's your overall feel on Shi?  You said he was in over his head on Sunday, but he also seems to get open fairly well (at least Week 1) and draws a lot of illegal contact by DBs, despite it not being called by officials.  Does he seem like a starting caliber slot receiver to you so far?  Or are you ready to see what someone like TMJ or Higgins can do as our WR3 while Shi develops a bit more from the bench?

Also, you mentioned Corbett showed good athleticism on some of the pulling run plays but also said further on that he's not a good pulling guard.  Does it seem to be mostly mental with him?  Like he doesn't engage the right defender on these run plays?  Or he's too weak physically to where he's getting manhandled?

• Pie 6

8 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Best content on the Huddle, hands down. 

Sounds like a healthy combination of coaching ineptitude and poor player execution.  There seem to be a million minor errors here and there where if just one more thing went our way (i.e. an o-lineman holding his block for one more second, or Baker seeing a wide open receiver, or a drop on a pass that could easily have otherwise been a TD, or one of the missed holding calls are made, etc.), then we could be looking at 2-0 instead of 0-2.  With better coaching and scheming on the offensive and defensive side, we would be better positioned to overcome more of these errors, which we will need to do when we play the better teams on our schedule.

So what's your overall feel on Shi?  You said he was in over his head on Sunday, but he also seems to get open fairly well (at least Week 1) and draws a lot of illegal contact by DBs, despite it not being called by officials.  Does he seem like a starting caliber slot receiver to you so far?  Or are you ready to see what someone like TMJ or Higgins can do as our WR3 while Shi develops a bit more from the bench?

Also, you mentioned Corbett showed good athleticism on some of the pulling run plays but also said further on that he's not a good pulling guard.  Does it seem to be mostly mental with him?  Like he doesn't engage the right defender on these run plays?  Or he's too weak physically to where he's getting manhandled?

With Shi its a few things... he is young and making mistakes a young player would. There is no lack of ability for him, and he is capable. However, getting the physical part of this game meet the mental is so difficult to coach and curate for a player. 

I believe the shiftiness that Shi offers puts him in a better spot to run slot and his route running (outside of mental errors) seems to be one of his strongest tools. Personally, I'd like for us to put DJ in the slot, and TMJ/Higgins on the outside. Then mix in Shi. Things will change with Laviska coming into the fold as well. We schemed for Shi this past week, and I think he may have blown his opportunity.

As for Corbett. He has the athletisicm for sure. I just think he isnt used to this type of run scheme. His blocking is fine. I think I only counted him being bullied on one play and the rest were bad assignments or out of place.  I think the challenge we face on the oline is the lack of leadership and communication. This is somethign @Mr. Scotcalled out early on. The mistakes Corbett/Moton made were defintely communication issues. We were spoiled with Ryan Kalil.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

I believe the shiftiness that Shi offers puts him in a better spot to run slot and his route running (outside of mental errors) seems to be one of his strongest tools. Personally, I'd like for us to put DJ in the slot, and TMJ/Higgins on the outside. Then mix in Shi. Things will change with Laviska coming into the fold as well. We schemed for Shi this past week, and I think he may have blown his opportunity.

Interesting, did you deliberately leave Robby out, as in you would bench him in favor of these other 4-5 receivers?  Or did you just accidentally overlook him?

Also, any insights on Tremble this week or was he not utilized much against the Giants?  I admit I didn't really see him on the screen much but not sure if I just overlooked him or if he was utilized mostly as a blocker where he wouldn't stand out to a casual fan.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Interesting, did you deliberately leave Robby out, as in you would bench him in favor of these other 4-5 receivers?  Or did you just accidentally overlook him?

Also, any insights on Tremble this week or was he not utilized much against the Giants?  I admit I didn't really see him on the screen much but not sure if I just overlooked him or if he was utilized mostly as a blocker where he wouldn't stand out to a casual fan.

Snap count report only had Tremble in for four plays if I recall correctly...

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I didnt count Robbie because he is the only true Z WR on our team. So he is a lock for that role until no longer on the roster or injured.

Tremble usage was puzzling, he played only 10 offensive snaps. Granted he was open on one of them but Baker never got to that read. I am hoping its more a game plan than Tremble being in the dog house. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

I didnt count Robbie because he is the only true Z WR on our team. So he is a lock for that role until no longer on the roster or injured.

Tremble usage was puzzling, he played only 10 offensive snaps. Granted he was open on one of them but Baker never got to that read. I am hoping its more a game plan than Tremble being in the dog house. 

Got a sneaking suspicion that when Tremble reached for the goal line in week 1 that he was immediately put in the dog house, but I'm hoping that this is just the coaches leaning on Ian Thomas while Tommy continues to develop.

Not feeling too good about only having a 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th for the 2023 draft but Fitterer has shown that he's able and willing to move back and accumulate picks.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Icege said:

Got a sneaking suspicion that when Tremble reached for the goal line in week 1 that he was immediately put in the dog house, but I'm hoping that this is just the coaches leaning on Ian Thomas while Tommy continues to develop.

Not feeling too good about only having a 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th for the 2023 draft but Fitterer has shown that he's able and willing to move back and accumulate picks.

I think it was for the Miles Garrett play last week. He shortened his block and didnt fully commit, and he vaulted MG right past Ickey that led to a sack. it was a drive killer.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 3

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Alright, here it is. I am not going to lie, this one was tough to sit through. Most of you called that. We just found ways to not take advantage of our opportunties. There was some missed calls by the refs, but not enough to say we couldn't have one this game due to them. I will post my TL:DR at the bottom.

I will try to answer any questions in this thread, it's wedding week for me so I wont be active on here as usual until Tuesday.

Offensive Breakdown

• Corbett showed good athleticism on some of the pulling run plays
  • Brady got manhandled in the run game on a few plays. This goes back to the statement of him being more tactical than a mauler. Which should be accounted for in our run play design. This is going to fall on Campen and McAdoo to figure out
  • I appreciate McAdoo calling DJ’s number on the jet sweep, and I do feel we need to run more plays like… but the execution of blocking was sub par. CMC went after a corner instead of the safety in the box, and Moton went after the safety in the box instead of the LBer on his outside shoulder. The play did have a chance if the blocking assignments were there.
  • The Robby screen… first he shouldn't be the target on those plays.. Second he looks inside and takes his blockers… he gets a first down and no fumble… possibly a TD. The image below is after the defense recognized the playcall.. It was there 😞
  • Watching our oline against the exotic fronts that the Giants ran… has me concerned about Campen. At times it appeared as if we didn't even watch tape from the Titans game. 
  • Our run blocking to the left… it appears to be a strength. Have to wonder what it would be like if we gave Foreman and CMC 10-15 carries each
  • We have to stop with this RPO quick slant stuff
  • Our screen play offense is the best i've seen in a long time for this franchise
  • Baker still escaping the pocket too quickly, missed two easy passses to Shi and Robbie for 10+ yard gains
  • Our offense feels like Baker spent more time with the TE group than the WR group. They know their hot reads and appear to be on the same page with Baker. Might have to give Kevin Gilbride credit here.
  • I have counted 3 illegal contacts on the Giants in the first half… against Shi. So interesting that we saw this same thing last week as well
  • Our first red zone play was a handoff for CMC, and looking at the film.. It should have been a TD. Corbett shortens his pull and chooses to double an end that is locked up by Ricci. If he goes three more yards to the outside, he hits the corner and CMC walks in the end zone
  • Baker… you got to throw that…. Image below
  • That Shi drop.. It does have a great chance of being a TD, if not down at 1. The play was designed to go to Shi. Which could be the issue for our offense. We should be scheming people like DJ
  • I'm so frustrated we didn't attack the Giants corners more often..
  • Ian is such a head scratching player, he will make amazing blocks one play and then completely whiff the next
  • That DJ out route on 4th and 1… that needs to be scrapped.
  • In the third we had a designed screen pay for Shi out of the slot, and if he waits.. A half of a second more he is going 20-30 yards. Shi was in over his head on Sunday. 
  • We ran to the left a lot of on Sunday
  • As the game wore on Corbett struggled in the running game. It is tough to watch, he just isnt a good pulling guard
  • The 3rd and short where Shi was wide open for a TD. It’s not Baker’s fault, Shi actually starts his path upfield and then for some reason cuts it flat at the last second. Image below
  • I can’t really understand how Baker goes through his progressions, but IMO his first read and only read in this play is DJ. Image below.
  • I've been calling out a lot of players here, but I have to admit that I am definitely concerned with McAdoo’s route trees. It appeared a lot of our players just weren't open.
  • Giants stole a TD from us.. Robby beat his man on a double move in the 4th quarter and the CB grabbed him down to the ground. This drive ended in a field goal. 
  • On that same drive, Baker audible to a quick hit to CMC bc he thought he read blitz… look at Robbie on this play…. Image below
  • The missed blocks by Moton where he let his man come through on the inside, appear to be miscommunications with Corbett. 
  • Elfein had another good game. I dont think he is the weak link on the line anymore. 
  • Baker on our final drive.. Missed Shi wide open off of a hot read. This one is tough to swallow. He has options and just doesnt get to them. The play ended with a late throw to CMC for a gain of 5 yards. Image below.
  • The final drive before we handed it back to the giants … RA and DJ were doubled on the majority of the plays.
  • Ickey ended that drive for us with a rookie mistake. Tough to watch because if he makes that block we have Ian deep middle of the field for a potential TD (NYG running cover 2) and Shi with an excellent whip route on the nickel back.

Player Spotlights

DJ Moore

• As much as I don't want to type this… we are seeing the lazy route running from DJ again.
  • He was open, we just couldn't see him
  • Lots of attention went to him from the secondary
  • We just need to scheme the guy open, hate that we use him in a traditional fashion

Baker

• He has to lock onto CMC more often, he missed him open frequently.
  • He doesn't trust the oline, its evident
  • It feels like Baker can’t see his underneath and dump off targets
  • He has one more week before I just think he isnt going to make it; he reads a tad bit faster than Darnold but nowhere near fast enough

Ickey

• When Ickey had his man on an island, there was no getting to the QB. Ickey’s first jump step stopped the speed rush from being there.
  • He struggled. It seemed more mental than physical. He didn't do a good job of assessing his assignments preplay. This could have been a game plan approach, but some of the players T-Mo elected to block just didn't make sense. 
  • Strength is his run blocking

Defensive Breakdown

• We attacked gaps and had steller gap control for the run defense. D Brown deserves a lot of credit here.
  • Haynes was getting to the passer, but I counted multiple plays where he was held or hooked. Pretty disappointing that the refs missed these, one of these would have taken Giants out of field goal range. 
  • The defense was tackling and swarming the first half. It was definitely an amped up team.
  • A lot of holding on the Giants offensive line 😞
  • Easily one of the best Derrick Brown games to date. He absolutely destroys double teams this past sunday. The image below almost led to a sack… if it was Tom Bady or another pocket QB, it’s a sack. Image below.
  • Interesting defensive schemes, we called a lot of “fake” man. Where we would act as if Luvu would pick up the RB, but then hand it over to the DE and then Luvu would blitz. I think this is way too extra for a QB like Daniel Jones. Not sure why we attempted to make it more complex than it should be.
  • The team held true in the first half not falling for play action
  • Henry Anderson is slow. Ha.
  • A little confused to why Derrick Brown wasn't in the game on third downs 
  • Bravion Roy showed some get up on the goaline down blowing past interior
  • Common theme, our defense gets gassed quickly. I don't know if it is a stamina issue or if its just on the field for too long. 
  • Luvu just appeared to the run schemes on Sunday, it was impressive to see how many gaps he jumped before the Giants o line could get setup
  • Luvu multiple hurries on the day
  • Neal seem to handle YGM without issue; the only player that Neal could handle
  • As monstrous as Luvu was, you have to give credit to Brown for eating up blocks and creating those lanes for Luvu
  • When Hartsfield was in the game, we brought Chinn up into the box; some disguise coverages with Chinn as well.
  • Defense starts to cave into the play action in the second half. The giants continued to exploit it
  • We had Shaq playing spy on Daniel Jones, but for some reason he was about 10 - 12 yards off of the LOS
  • Got to give Shaq some credit, it appears he is going his legs beneath him. During the second half he was involved in what seemed to be every play when he was on the field
  • Haynes was putting Neal to work
  • McCall is a big boy
  • It appears Snow is attempting to play Chinn as if he is a ball hawk, and as much as I love Chinn… I just don't think that is his niche
  • Giants began to double team Brown pretty hard in the second half
  • Snow adjusted in the 2nd half on Jones, and began to spy with Chinn… but he appeared to move away from that on the Giants last drive
  • McCall was a culprit for the Giants TD scoring drive in the 4th. They began to eat us up on the ground bc he was often out of place or let the OL redirect him
  • When Burns started to drop back in coverage we were running a 3-4 front. I dont know if this was due to being short a LB due to Brandon Smith’s injury or this was a scheme. It does feel weird though. It should be noted that Burns played well in that role.
  • Dink and dunk, dink and dunk

Player Spotlights

Derrick Brown

• Penetration resemble of an elite DT this past Sunday
  • Just watched a play where Brown took on a double team, pulled a spin move and put the center and the guard to the ground and clogged the hole for Barkley to get tackled for a loss by Luvu.
  • First half we put Brown at DE, and it actually worked.. Neal couldn't stop Brown.

Brian Burns

• I don't know what we can do to help Brian with his angles, but they are a contributing factor to his missed tackles. I think he depends on his athleticism.
  • If Burns gets a sack in the third quarter where the Giants score on their drive, we potentially don't lose the game. It ends that TD drive.
  • Stayed at home on the potential blindside rollouts on giants run plays

Jaycee Horn

• His play recognition was solid on Sunday. He had two opportunities where if he takes a step sooner he has a pick.
  • When we ran short cover 2 we brought Jaycee on the inside to cover middle zones. I thought that was worth noting.

Jeremy Chinn

• He played deep safety when the giants ran 3 WR on the field, seemed pre determined 
  • Nothing really worth noting of Chinn, I think he is played out of position and the offenses know that.

CJ Henderson

• Nothing to report, but in a good way. Daniel Jones just avoided throwing in that direction
  • In all honesty, he played a great game overall.

YGM

• Nothing to note in the first half. Not looking good for him
  • Solid stop on a Daniel Jones scramble that could have gone for about 15 yards. YGM broke off of his block and once he grabbed Jones it was over
  • YGM and the ground were friends on Sunday
  • Just tool small to be a DE in the NFL

Robby Anderson screen

WinNANJunEFJR5lfECDbTw7KtToQBJBH-T-9rWnH3-t6H920XzOOzqQD80fQJYqd5tvWUhkSWOsBPedjyhNdwMRoHiJhp7Ht5YRQTt-5hzC7sYMwE5CyAF1tGAsi8frmTTfzaG-X9IlPW-zQxupPuQWiyucemP05evVENyXA0505zl-9zyMZYG5Mxw

Derrick Brown pass rush double team 

W7Pqa82C1YSt5mj-sFLsaqJqiZJlXFJAk_MkDXkgXNoCRxyfqYZzFNCPId88sChgjAMGk52O1_MhKvsBuJ7f3WmclopvdT6V6fPh1s_eTzhc5qcD-sJAEN-K_k29aU17cHClxKTTmVmze8BodOTnOiqNktZ1dsbkhMovYICqyk6dABt-Ui_A3BPxPA

RYMlk1cT4APzyUThlbSlt3lXcxRy0L7hGHbzyC84a6QF0iURkBAmtygCc07iVS8sSkd6n-5xsvDDK7vqGVVj51YVRL6iWr-ebMsy7SFBUUJ96Ijwu-t2Gvw_xjno8_LlS5GLxVyViwIrVLpLbjCaFgJsxtcib6l87APRa-YU55HpyBPj8BY07WTgjg

Baker missed TD (2nd QTR)

aXoiHLoSqj9Kfihh7rKvvWN6Gmrv-8MD1K4ww5D0GdWOfdV7b7AWiiFkzZuiv-oUW36WLoC5dZl99zuugxImc7x0GoZnWkSRNQDv_wgDUT-1jkahaCLI_ylyMPeGQkFhgmtwNrrLz8EglkLhQJiCJMTb2z1BJXQ2NaEbwg1d0A_br9pE9fNbintpig

Shi missed TD - running up field

9IpAgRcM9cw0XIHpUn8No9PgIugudh-1HEnnyGqDyw4mbsI-eTwPsfukdviH6Yyi1ZGk-X95YZeXQ4VXOiQJZDMO13smGXGB_1_7clvw0uEJzBUyMD_bIy7ya8NU68_RvAUOCq0qJIncb_-Byr1ePtOR4FQ9l3zGYEhFMiz_SrWkF7ENPj9ua7xzMA

...Then flattens route when Baker throws

VpCKYYKFP7Qfw9zGmucjFRz-6sofggVx60Dt_QWf6nteYhPxd9JFRMKlQb7HZzwYpAhdc0hsmK8o3ofRbc9R0Lt6i5-cYWbezPEvyiI7bfWm-Kq9bPBkmhKg9TsA-8i6TWPcg0Kt49d1Z4LOSzDPsZX1R6TdG7fuwOWV87gYuDNN-URlFM-_X4F-wQ

Baker needs to read underneath

kwccsRM43sIBt7I1mz2L9shylkvdfJvon_gxEavFc0tYFfTMLWDAgXu_TtyGvRFuoVLIYl8eA08XZSvUGleoXGSO77liD79Wu_mTv5unVHsW4_ZedtN7iUPJKEBiB6GYXNo5rlEfVbqQ7Fom9VMnKvoxd601bOo8iJfZf1WTfNlcYuyc7Z-O3qDiGA

Another TD miss (4th Qtr)

17hhYKJ_SDiwcw6luODrVxJEy9FDWz0cT_SLsiAvP3QofhGeohw0tA23w9zHxNSB8LGdijTmLT2SjXKbNNvyH6PWc0bj03UPs4ojYCKsmYjTMiJHAk61YWDHLiVhskPYVuS5BWDq3ZDbhN-Ya7g314SxxjoN1YyC-KEJ4JnBxtXxHxeSyWNehf-86Q

Baker slow to get through his reads

wQc_WrGPApG3jjZwwRKpOLperNpawsSff4yBi-NFkksVXxrrOeHr_Ad-X6EuRDaFxJqOwKeqSikT8qEuDhKg_eBDYW6ouUezTU-77btJzK-XXCLuE5EurdJQ9f4shcgS3eyHVrCxcq18-fQYoznzmLhUYWuspVdoUl7ZfKsRUF2rRSopoCXjtMzh8Q

Too Long Didnt Read:

• Baker is still struggling with getting the ball out fast to the open targets and he seems to leave the pocket too soon. A litte less than last week but still a behavior.
  • Playcalling is tough on both sides of the ball. Appears we are playing players out of position(not sure if this is due to depth) and we are scheming the wrong players in our play designs
  • We need to get Chinn back in the box. Teams are taking advantage of him when deep with short throws where he can't impact the play
  • YGM needs bulk if he wants to be a quality DE
  • Derrick Brown was a force this past Sunday. It was defintely missing in week 1, and if he picks up where he left off.... i dont think we will be targeting him as a bust anymore
  • CJ Henderson and Jaycee Horn, solid games. Takeaway the Horn penalties and the future is bright there. Henderson didnt allow a completion from what I reviewed. 
  • Elein, had a solid game again. Corbett is the concern ont he oline right now. 
  • Our defensive play deisgns are just too exotic at times. We need to get back to simple. I think we are trying to compensate for the lack of pass rush but unless executed perfectly, these plays arent worth the rub.
  • Lastly, I hate that I am about to say this.... I want to go back to a dink and dunk offense. We are just not built for this RPO and its not effective if you arent distraction or misdirecting the defense, which we did very little.

Let me knoiw if you have any questions 

good stuff, thanks so much.  Starting to feel better about Brown...I saw some clips on twitter that looked, as you say, almost elite.

As long as by the end of the year D. Brown becomes consistently good or better, he is not a bust.  A DT who can occupy two OL makes the rest of your DL look fantastic.  It's ok if it takes a little longer, as long as there is good progress.

With the team as a whole, I'm convinced we have pretty good talent on the roster and that we just don't have coaches who know how to use it.

• Pie 1