• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official “Preseason” Canes Thread

Panthers Fan 69

4 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

That’s all she wrote…

Canes 5 - Bolts 1

Coghlan - 3 assists (2nd star)

Svechnikov - 1 goal, 1 assist (1st star)

Kotkaniemi - 2 assists (3rd star)

Aho - 1 goal

Jarvis - 1 goal

Stastny - 1 goal

Stromwall - 1 goal

Pederson - 1 assist

Andersen - .952 sv. %

Guys are going to he very very good again this season.... Need Freddie Healthy for the playoffs (yea probably bad form but I don't see any way they don't win 50 games..) 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Guys are going to he very very good again this season.... Need Freddie Healthy for the playoffs (yea probably bad form but I don't see any way they don't win 50 games..) 

And that’s without our 30 goal scorer.

You had him to the mix and every single line has the chance to get you a goal…

Then you factor in our defense… Burns, Slavin, Skjei, Pesce, etc… and if this is what we can expect from Coghlan….

This team will win a lottttt of games.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

And that’s without our 30 goal scorer.

You had him to the mix and every single line has the chance to get you a goal…

Then you factor in our defense… Burns, Slavin, Skjei, Pesce, etc… and if this is what we can expect from Coghlan….

This team will win a lottttt of games.

It's nice not to pine for lower playoff spots..... You root for the 22' canes knowing they will be in the dance.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

So is Coghlan that good or was last night an aberration. I know TBL didn’t have most of their starters on the ice, but still. 

If we get that Coghlan every night then we legit made out like bandits in the trade with Vegas.

Coghlan looks like he can be a solid third pairing defenseman and definitely QB the second unit power play.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

So is Coghlan that good or was last night an aberration.

This is the best opportunity the 24-year old blue-liner has had. He wasn't a top starter in Vegas, playing in 29 games during the COVID-shortened season and 69 games last year. He played 2 seasons in Chicago before they were a Hurricane affiliate. But look at these numbers and I think the Canes may have found a diamond in the rough:

image.thumb.png.8284ca26c3d812e83d060a6e9013374a.png

image.thumb.png.fedc28ba9331b36e1f32d49c07923233.png

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

If we get that Coghlan every night then we legit made out like bandits in the trade with Vegas.

Coghlan looks like he can be a solid third pairing defenseman and definitely QB the second unit power play.

The issue with defensemen is this- only 2 lefties in the mix: Slavin and Skjei are the only lefties. I think Coghlan gets Bear's spot as the #3 RD, Calvin DeHaan is on a PTO and he's the only other LD on the roster.

Slavin-Burns

Skjei-Pesce

DeHaan-Coghlan

Chatfield/Bear (keep in mind, Bear is on a $2.2M contract) are the 2 contenders for the 7th D-man spot.

Just now, Anybodyhome said:

The issue with defensemen is this- only 2 lefties in the mix: Slavin and Skjei are the only lefties. I think Coghlan gets Bear's spot as the #3 RD, Calvin DeHaan is on a PTO and he's the only other LD on the roster.

Slavin-Burns

Skjei-Pesce

DeHaan-Coghlan

Chatfield/Bear (keep in mind, Bear is on a $2.2M contract) are the 2 contenders for the 7th D-man spot.

I see it the same way.

Lavalette basically stated that last night that the Canes are going to try and keep 23 and that they need to get as close to the cap as possible so that they can put Gardiner back on LTIR.

Right now we are $2M over.

Ultimately, I think the Canes posted roster won’t be the final roster. They will get as close to the cap as possible with certain contracts used then LTIR Gardiner which will free up $4M. We are $2M over with our current projected roster (which doesn’t include Stepan or De Haan). Putting Gardiner on LTIR will then allow Stepan and De Haan to come back at $1M a piece and the Canes can keep a full 23 without putting Patches on LTIR.

Turbo - Aho - Jarvis

Svech - KK - Necas

Stastny - Staal - Fast

Marty - Drury - Kase

Slavin - Burns

Skjei - Pesce

De Haan - Coghlan

Andersen

Raanta

Extras - Stepan, Bear, Chatfield

Injured - Patches

Potential Call Up’s - Kochetkov (G), Noesen (F), Stromwall (F)

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I see it the same way.

Lavalette basically stated that last night that the Canes are going to try and keep 23 and that they need to get as close to the cap as possible so that they can put Gardiner back on LTIR.

Right now we are $2M over.

Ultimately, I think the Canes posted roster won’t be the final roster. They will get as close to the cap as possible with certain contracts used then LTIR Gardiner which will free up $4M. We are $2M over with our current projected roster (which doesn’t include Stepan or De Haan). Putting Gardiner on LTIR will then allow Stepan and De Haan to come back at $1M a piece and the Canes can keep a full 23 without putting Patches on LTIR.

Turbo - Aho - Jarvis

Svech - KK - Necas

Stastny - Staal - Fast

Marty - Drury - Kase

Slavin - Burns

Skjei - Pesce

De Haan - Coghlan

Andersen

Raanta

Extras - Stepan, Bear, Chatfield

Injured - Patches

Potential Call Up’s - Kochetkov (G), Noesen (F), Stromwall (F)

That's a ton of firepower up and down the roster.... I'm not as worried with KK at 2C as some.... He put up 29 points in 63 games last season playing 4th line minutes...  I don't even think it's a big ask to get 60 out of him playing 2C minutes in 82 games.... It's completly reasonable to expect a 20-25 point jump from Jarvis and Svechnikov to continue to improve....  and that's leaving Necas as a maybe.... Even before Patches returned this team is already improved.. 

• Pie 1

Game tonight vs. the Panthers. I believe it’s being streamed on their website.

Florida is going with a veteran lineup and the Canes are going with a younger group.

By my count, the only guys who haven’t played are Slavin, Burns, Lagesson, Seeley, Farrannce (injured), Mattheos, Tieksola, Suzuki, Murray, and Paccioretty (injured).

Orr, Montgomery, and Vondras were sent back to juniors a couple days ago.

23 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Game tonight vs. the Panthers. I believe it’s being streamed on their website.

Florida is going with a veteran lineup and the Canes are going with a younger group.

By my count, the only guys who haven’t played are Slavin, Burns, Lagesson, Seeley, Farrannce (injured), Mattheos, Tieksola, Suzuki, Murray, and Paccioretty (injured).

Orr, Montgomery, and Vondras were sent back to juniors a couple days ago.

No need for Slavin and Burns to play you know what they will bring...

Tonight will be more interesting to watch that Tuesday as both if those top two lines would make a fantastic #4 line.

• Poo 1