• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official “Preseason” Canes Thread

Panthers Fan 69

11 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Canes fall 4-2, good third period for the group after a poor first and mediocre second.

Goal 1 - Rees (Unassisted)

Goal 2 - Stromwall (Bear)

Now it’s decision time… who stays up, who goes down, should know by Thursday.

I can honestly say apart from Martinook (Rods man boner) There are a ton of combinations we could go with for the fourth line and third pairing..... 

Just now, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

I can honestly say apart from Martinook (Rods man boner) There are a ton of combinations we could go with for the fourth line and third pairing..... 

Marty is a swell guy, and I know he’s penciled in for a spot because of Rod, but this is one year that I’m a little upset about him making the team.

I’ve really liked what Stepan, Noesen, and Stromwall have done, I think it’s time for Drury to make the jump, and obviously there’s Kase.

So essentially six guys (Marty, Drury, Kase, Stromwall, Stepan, and Noesen) for four spots.

Hopefully whoever gets sent down makes it through waivers as I think only Drury is exempt.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Marty is a swell guy, and I know he’s penciled in for a spot because of Rod, but this is one year that I’m a little upset about him making the team.

I’ve really liked what Stepan, Noesen, and Stromwall have done, I think it’s time for Drury to make the jump, and obviously there’s Kase.

So essentially six guys (Marty, Drury, Kase, Stromwall, Stepan, and Noesen) for four spots.

Hopefully whoever gets sent down makes it through waivers as I think only Drury is exempt.

I'm in agreement Martinook isn't actually good at anything except being the "energy" guy he's basically a wacky hype man who gets beat up twice a year and sprains an ankle yearly.

Just breaking it down:

Automatics - Teravainen, Aho, Jarvis, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Necas, Stastny, Staal, Fast, Martinook, Kase, Slavin, Burns, Skjei, Pesce, de Haan, Andersen, Raanta

Question Marks - Stepan, Drury, Noesen, Stromwall, Dzingel, Coghlan, Chatfield, Bear

Going Down - Rees, Ponomarev, MacEachern, Pederson, Mattheos, Gunler, Tieksola, Suzuki (injured), Lajoie, Mendel, Honka, Kochetkov, Sawchenko

Injured Reserve - Paccioretty

Long Term Injured Reserve - Gardiner

The Canes can keep up to five of the ‘Question Marks’. Note, I originally had Coghlan as an automatic, but if he’s picked up a knock that’s going to keep him out for a bit then that could change things.

The automatics (along with Paccioretty) have a cap hit of $77,329,417, which leaves $5,170,583 in cap space.

22 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Just breaking it down:

Automatics - Teravainen, Aho, Jarvis, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Necas, Stastny, Staal, Fast, Martinook, Kase, Slavin, Burns, Skjei, Pesce, de Haan, Andersen, Raanta

Question Marks - Stepan, Drury, Noesen, Stromwall, Dzingel, Coghlan, Chatfield, Bear

Going Down - Rees, Ponomarev, MacEachern, Pederson, Mattheos, Gunler, Tieksola, Suzuki (injured), Lajoie, Mendel, Honka, Kochetkov, Sawchenko

Injured Reserve - Paccioretty

Long Term Injured Reserve - Gardiner

The Canes can keep up to five of the ‘Question Marks’. Note, I originally had Coghlan as an automatic, but if he’s picked up a knock that’s going to keep him out for a bit then that could change things.

The automatics (along with Paccioretty) have a cap hit of $77,329,417, which leaves $5,170,583 in cap space.

Drury might go down initially just to try hold someone else beyond the initial waivers.

5 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Was actually thinking the same thing. Send him down, keep some of these other guys up and let everything clear then make adjustments.

Great minds! I'm refraining from posting in my Canes FB forums as the Bandwagon is growing rapidly.... Good to have new fans tedious to get them up to speed on the nuisances of the game.

• Pie 1

Canes now sit at 25.

(19) Automatics - Teravainen, Aho, Jarvis, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Necas, Stastny, Staal, Fast, Martinook, Kase, Slavin, Burns, Skjei, Pesce, de Haan, Andersen, Raanta, Paccioretty (injured)

(6) Question Marks - Stepan, Drury, Noesen, Coghlan, Chatfield, Bear

(8) Assigned to Chicago - Stromwall, Rees, Ponomarev, Gunler, Tieksola, Honka, Kochetkov, Sawchenko

(1) Released from Tryout (Assigned to Chicago) - Mendel

(5) Waived for the purpose of assignment to Chicago - Dzingel, MacEachern, Pederson, Mattheos, Lajoie

(2) Injured Non-Roster - Suzuki, Fitzgerald

(1) Mutually Agreed To Part Ways - Dronov

I hate to be that guy, and as much as I like him, but Martinook needs to be waived and he either gets picked up by another team or he ends up in Chicago.

I know this won't happen because he seems to be Rod's type of player, but amongst the players on the bubble he is by far the least skilled at this point.  He's a great teammate, brings some energy, but 98.9% of the time he isn't going to score a goal that he should have due to pure skill. 

I also think that a spot could be cleared with a trade of Bear.  I just think he was outplayed by Coghlan and Chatfield.  Although this may not be an option due to Coghlan getting banged up in the last game.

I am worried about losing Noesen to waivers as I think he has what it takes to be on the 4th line.  He also makes it a more dangerous scoring line as well.

7 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

I hate to be that guy, and as much as I like him, but Martinook needs to be waived and he either gets picked up by another team or he ends up in Chicago.

I know this won't happen because he seems to be Rod's type of player, but amongst the players on the bubble he is by far the least skilled at this point.  He's a great teammate, brings some energy, but 98.9% of the time he isn't going to score a goal that he should have due to pure skill. 

I also think that a spot could be cleared with a trade of Bear.  I just think he was outplayed by Coghlan and Chatfield.  Although this may not be an option due to Coghlan getting banged up in the last game.

I am worried about losing Noesen to waivers as I think he has what it takes to be on the 4th line.  He also makes it a more dangerous scoring line as well.

He’s not going anywhere this year, this is the final year of both his and rods contract if I remember correctly. 

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Canes now sit at 25.

(19) Automatics - Teravainen, Aho, Jarvis, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Necas, Stastny, Staal, Fast, Martinook, Kase, Slavin, Burns, Skjei, Pesce, de Haan, Andersen, Raanta, Paccioretty (injured)

(6) Question Marks - Stepan, Drury, Noesen, Coghlan, Chatfield, Bear

(8) Assigned to Chicago - Stromwall, Rees, Ponomarev, Gunler, Tieksola, Honka, Kochetkov, Sawchenko

(1) Released from Tryout (Assigned to Chicago) - Mendel

(5) Waived for the purpose of assignment to Chicago - Dzingel, MacEachern, Pederson, Mattheos, Lajoie

(2) Injured Non-Roster - Suzuki, Fitzgerald

(1) Mutually Agreed To Part Ways - Dronov

Only 5 blue-liners on your list of automatics. I think Chatfield and Coghlan need to round out the list of defensemen and try to move Bear.

Just now, Anybodyhome said:

Only 5 blue-liners on your list of automatics. I think Chatfield and Coghlan need to round out the list of defensemen and try to move Bear.

Don’t know which defenseman will be on the roster which is why they aren’t automatics. Could be all three, could be two of them.

After watching Tage Thompson embarrass Bear last night, I’d move him for future considerations at this point.

• Pie 1