• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers were one pick away from Justin Herbert...

PantherBoy95

47 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

See the source image

It hurts more when you know he was going to be the pick. 

Going to a draft prospects pro day doesn’t mean he would have been the pick. Rhule sent Hurney because he had no intention of taking any QB. No Rhule, Brady, or Sean Ryan. Rhule bet on Teddy. As was said many times back then….you don’t pay a “bridge QB” 21M/yr and 34M guaranteed. They were passing on Hebert no matter what. 

I’m not sure if the comments about Herbert busting if he played here are accurate. The coach his first year got fired and Herbert still performed at an elite level as a rookie. Sometimes talent trumps coaching. I’ll admit that Lynn is a better coach than rhule. That’s not even up for debate but I think that point still stands.

The Chargers spent this season without Philip Rivers, who was the Chargers' quarterback since 2004. Rookie quarterback Justin Herbert started 15 games for the Chargers in 2020 and totaled 31 touchdowns and 10 interceptions on 66.6% completion.

6 hours ago, onmyown said:

this is already discussed and well known. Hurney actually did want to go get Herbert but idiots didn’t want to trade capital and he didn’t fall to us.

let this be a lesson for all the anti tankers. Literally one or two games and we’d be set with a franchise qb.

hell the entire cam Newton era was a result of a blatant tank by JR, though more so for business reasons, but still.

THANK YOU!

I'm so tired of people acting like it wasn't a big deal that we won 1 or 2 meaningless games at the end of the year (I think one of them was when the Saints were resting their starters). That 1 or 2 spots is the difference between a franchise QB or purgatory. My favorite is people saying "Never tank, we have to build a winning culture". Or "Everybody relax, we're going to get an elite player regardless". Welp, I hope everybody enjoyed those meaningless wins that nobody will remember in exchange for a worse draft pick and missing out on a franchise QB.

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, DJ feed me moore said:

could have easily given up our 3rd to the lions... whatever.

This

Ive heard Rhule actually use the Herbert excuse. If you wanted him that badly the Lions were open for business that night. I don’t buy it one bit.

Imagine sitting there and thinking Herbert is a franchise guy but you’re ok with staying at 7, keeping next years 1st and taking a DT.

Also imagine being the Lions and taking Okudah…

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Ok maybe he'd have got stuck starting at LG instead of being the Pro Bowl LT we've been seeking ever since Gross retired. Obviously he didn't value him at all but do your thing 

That was the exact moment when I knew without a shadow of a doubt that Rhule is in fact a moron.  There are 100 different ways to answer that question and not sound like a complete ass but alas Rhule dived in with both feet

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m not sure if the comments about Herbert busting if he played here are accurate. The coach his first year got fired and Herbert still performed at an elite level as a rookie. Sometimes talent trumps coaching. I’ll admit that Lynn is a better coach than rhule. That’s not even up for debate but I think that point still stands.

The Chargers spent this season without Philip Rivers, who was the Chargers' quarterback since 2004. Rookie quarterback Justin Herbert started 15 games for the Chargers in 2020 and totaled 31 touchdowns and 10 interceptions on 66.6% completion.

So far i'd say Shane Steichen>>>McAdoo. 2020 with Herbert and now in his 2nd year as OC for the Eagles with Jalen Hurts. Speaking of, Eagles fans think he's definitely leaving for a HC job next year....

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

So far i'd say Shane Steichen>>>McAdoo. 2020 with Herbert and now in his 2nd year as OC for the Eagles with Jalen Hurts. Speaking of, Eagles fans think he's definitely leaving for a HC job next year....

Yeah no question. I still think elite talent trumps coaching. Cam did it for years. Doesn’t mean the team would’ve been good but at least we’d have a franchise qb to work with.

• Beer 1

And I was dead wrong about Herbert that year but finding a franchise qb should be the #1 goal of any org and rhule has gone Teddy, Darnold and mayfield. He doesn’t understand how this league works. And what’s even crazier is the dude said recently that this is a passing league but built the team as a running team. He has no clue what he’s doing.

We would’ve likely hindered his development but the trade up value would’ve been less than the capital we gave up for Darnold and Henderson combined. 

Let’s get the HC/GM combo right first and hope we land a stud. With guys like Penix Jr, Ward skyrocketing up boards, Stroud, BRYCE, Levis, Van Dyke, Jefferson in play, we’ve got options that in my opinion are better than Pickett and last years horrible crop.

• Pie 1