• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tropical Storm Ian

jayboogieman

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

My in-laws live in Davenport which is west of Orlando. Not gonna be a fun but the real killer in hurricanes is usually the storm surge and obviously none of that inland. They have a generator large enough to power the whole house if need be.

Yeah, luckily no storm surge to deal with. Hoping that the storm moves through quickly so that we don’t have to deal with any flooding. From what I’m hearing on the news, the big concern is the tornadoes because they form so quickly out of the hurricane that it’s almost impossible to send an alert out to people.

The forecast intensity is raised to 135 kt at landfall, and we are 
now forecasting a catastrophic storm surge of 12 to 16 ft from 
Englewood to Bonita Beach, Florida.  No other significant changes 
were made to the forecast.  

The above from an intermediary NHC update at 7 am.  They are expecting a surge of 12-16 feet- those folks got to get out now while they still can.

Edited by Paa Langfart

8 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

the big concern is the tornadoes because they form so quickly out of the hurricane that it’s almost impossible to send an alert out to people.

Yeah as many hurricanes as I have been through I was always more frightened of the tornadoes.  When I lived up in ILM I had one go through my back wood lot during Fran.

1 minute ago, Paa Langfart said:

Yeah as many hurricanes as I have been through I was always more frightened of the tornadoes.  When I lived up in ILM I had one go through my back wood lot during Fran.

Not sure if you saw the damage at the Miami airport last night but one flipped over 15 small Cessna like airplanes and it happened so quick that they were still seeking verification after all the damage occurred.

Trying not to think about the worst case scenario but I’ll be sleeping a little lighter tonight for sure.

• Pie 1

from msn

“Governor Roy Cooper declared a State of Emergency today to activate the state’s emergency operations plan, waive transportation rules to help the transport of fuel and critical supplies, help first responders and the agriculture industry and protect consumers from price gouging,” wrote Cooper’s office in the announcement.

The State Emergency Response Team will activate in Raleigh on Thursday, and they plan to begin 24-hour operations on Friday Morning.

18 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

If Duke is your power company, don't hold your breath!

My place was without power for 10 days after Fran and I was on a well so no water either except when I ran a portable generator.  It was a Florida Power and Light crew who finally restored electric to my place.  The whole neighborhood was cheering those guys on and bringing them cold drinks.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

If Duke is your power company, don't hold your breath! 😄

Joking aside, hopefully things don't get too bad for you guys.

So far so good lol. A little standing water on the road, some lightning, thunder, and good winds but other than that no issues.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Beer 1