• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ellis Williams Report Card from Sunday

raleigh-panther

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This is not correct.  The effect of a blitz is to stop the deep pass, and force things quick and short.

Not saying that opponents necessarily fear our deep game, but both Baker and Darnold do have cannons.  I suspect that they can make the deep ball work. 

It's the opposite of Bridgewater.  You play coverage on Bridgewater because his deep arm doesn't scare you at all.  When he has to dink/dunk his way downfield, eventually a mistake will turn the chains against him.

An effective deep passing game is much more than just about arm strength though man. I mean the entire reasoning and how Panthers fans were able to cope with the Darnold trade in the first place was his arm talent and in that regard he has some of the best ability in the league. But in the end what did it do for him? We can dog on Teddy about his arm strength but the sad truth of it is our offense was the best it's been in a couple of years with him so what does that say for our coaching staff and Rhule?

15 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This is not correct.  The effect of a blitz is to stop the deep pass, and force things quick and short.

And as far as the effect of the blitz goes teams base this on past game tape more than anything. And the tape shows quarterbacks like Darnold and Mayfield getting beaten up a lot and being inconsistent getting the ball down the field. So they will continue to throw that at us knowing our OL is being rebuilt until Ben McAdoo and our boy genius head coach can develop better gameplans and scheme ways to counter these tactics.

Edited by frankw

12 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Marrying the run with the occasional play action is the obvious answer to all the blitzing McAdoo is basically gifting defenses. Also zero pre-snap motion, it feels like we're running preseason game plans out there. 

That's true, but depending on how much pressure is coming, the time it takes for a drop back with a play action fake can take longer.

To me the most obvious thing is getting CMC involved on those short little dump off passes.  Why doesn't Baker have an option to dump off to CMC as a safety valve like Darnold did in the 1st 3 games last year?  You can't blitz every play if you're anticipating that.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, weyco2000 said:

“Special Teams”, but ignores Hekker, the guy who pretty much sealed the win with perfect placement on his final kick. In 3 games he’s punted 16 times and half of those have been placed inside the 20 and many of those have been nearly blocked. 

Most of points he covered are known by pretty much everyone here. It almost seems as if the Huddle is his source…

His podcasts are much more detailed than that article for the Observer. It was meant to be a synopsis because for the general fan, that’s all that is needed 

His comments about the offense are correct in any case 

2 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

That's true, but depending on how much pressure is coming, the time it takes for a drop back with a play action fake can take longer.

To me the most obvious thing is getting CMC involved on those short little dump off passes.  Why doesn't Baker have an option to dump off to CMC as a safety valve like Darnold did in the 1st 3 games last year?  You can't blitz every play if you're anticipating that.

Yeah 25 rushes to 2 receptions is way off balance for CMC, especially with Foreman sitting on the bench. I don't think we've ran a 2 RB formation once this year but McAdoo will happily get all 4 jag TE's involved every drive

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

The article is about week 3, a game we won. I get your point, but I think the grading is supposed to be more "in a vacuum" than you are making it.

Ah, fair, didn't realize that.

I also didn't watch the most recent game so I thought it was about the season as a whole and was not sipping the kool-aid. 

16 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

A lot of the offensive woes I think can be attributed to McAdoo schemes. If Mayfield is being blitzed that often he needs to scheme quick dump offs to CMC for easy completions. McAdoo games plans as if he has Mahomes or Josh Allen as his QB. I think he is asking too much from Mayfield to carry this offense. 

Give CMC, Shenault, and DJ a chance to make plays with easy completions. 

I agree. Let one of these guys take a quick pass for a 15-20 yard gain a few times and the blitzing will slow down.

• Pie 1