• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It sucks Corral will never get his shot this year

GoobyPls

Got to see more of Corral before judgment. No playing time even in practice, no coaching, Baker as a mentor, and playing with 3rd and 4th string all equals disaster. This is not madden when you can just plug a player in and they play to their ranking percentage. It's way to early to judge if corral is bad or good. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Byrdman4real said:

Got to see more of Corral before judgment. No playing time even in practice, no coaching, Baker as a mentor, and playing with 3rd and 4th string all equals disaster. This is not madden when you can just plug a player in and they play to their ranking percentage. It's way to early to judge if corral is bad or good. 

Smart (Byrd) man!

Yep, this thread went just about as I expected it to go.

It's all about the math really ...

A. Matt looked like trash, but threw it to nobodies and behind a nothing line = true.

2. Matt looked like trash, but threw it to nobodies and behind a nothing line, but against nothing defenses full of nobodies = also true.

D. Therefore, Matt will look like trash throwing to superstars (lol) behind an elite line (lol) against elite defenses full of superstars = math.

The chances of Corral getting a real shot here are slim unless the Panthers manage to end up in no man’s land again and are drafting between 11 and 15. Hell, even then, they might fall in love with Anthony Richardson (who I don’t like for what it’s worth).

This coming draft just seems like the draft where the Panthers spend an early pick on a QB. Corral still would be given a chance to compete (assuming the new coaching staff keeps him), but obviously a first round QB is going to get more attention than a third round QB that was drafted under the previous regime.

Pretty shitty situation for Corral.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

We sacrificed Corral's development when Fitterer/Rhule traded for Baker. As I said at the time, there weren't enough reps.

But regardless of who Corral was playing with or against, or how many reps he got, you can't get around the fact he had injury concerns from college, missed the draft evaluation process because of an injury in the bowl game, and the reason he isn't available for us right now is he's... injured.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Corral was getting 3-5 reps in camp. Like Rhule said, he was getting those oh so important mental reps.🙃 For you or anyone to think anything definitive from that is sad. You surely didn't take anything definitive from four years of Mayfield playing with the first team and getting basically all the reps, except that he was some near elite, top 10 QB who deserved to be handed the starting job because he led a stacked team to a playoff victory one time. So excuse me if I can't seem to take your take and others' here about Corral's fait acompli of a disaster during preseason due to Rhule's utter mishandling of Corral and the coach's ineptitude about QB development seriously.

You can feel however you want about my "take" on Corral.  I liked him, and I liked the pick.  But, I also was extremely worried about his frame and how he would hold up in the pros, AND that's if he could actually play the position.  Welp, seems like my biggest concern about him was validated already.  I was ready to believe in him, and I wanted to...  then he came in looking like a scared, panicked deer in headlights and that all changed.  Sure, the lack of reps in camp hurt him.  And honestly, I don't trust how any of these players look under Rhule or this staff.  We have no idea how good any of these guys really are or aren't because they're playing for a college coach in a college system against pros.  QB is especially hard to gauge under this staff, because it's the most visible both good and bad.  That being said, I've played and watched enough football in my life that I'm confident that had Corral had anything for us to be excited about or confident in for him to build off of moving forward, we would've seen a glimmer of that...  if even for a split second.  But we didn't.  He looked as bad as you possibly could, in all honesty.  

And sure, there is a slim, minute chance that he could turn it around and develop into something - but the chances are slim to none.  Reps or no reps, he looked completely overwhelmed and outmatched.  None of that amazing arm talent or athleticism evident.  He looked bad.  You can watch any preseason game any year and see rookie QBs who flash despite having little to no reps while playing with nobodies.  That tells you if there is something translatable to build off of, and literally every other drafted QB looked better than Corral in the preseason despite their circumstance.

We'll see what happens with a new coach and staff, but I was right about the durability stuff and I'm fairly certain I'm right about his future...  but we'll see.

It never stops. Matt Corral is a P.R.O.J.E.C.T.

Same old same old, Last time I read this place for a little while it was Will Grier. Oh yeah. Then they played him. 

Not before enduring weeks of sack fondling from people thinking he was the answer and we were fools for not starting him. Over and over. Kind of like this. 

9 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

It would be unusual for them not to.  Just look at the Panthers history.  Even Clausen and Weinke both stuck around for a while after new coaching staffs (Fox and Rivera) took over.  And they both had terrible resumes.  

I cannot see how a new group could not use him as they do not have anyone to start the group with except him. But they could always bring their own version of PJ along with them.

6 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

You can feel however you want about my "take" on Corral.  I liked him, and I liked the pick.  But, I also was extremely worried about his frame and how he would hold up in the pros, AND that's if he could actually play the position.  Welp, seems like my biggest concern about him was validated already.  I was ready to believe in him, and I wanted to...  then he came in looking like a scared, panicked deer in headlights and that all changed.  Sure, the lack of reps in camp hurt him.  And honestly, I don't trust how any of these players look under Rhule or this staff.  We have no idea how good any of these guys really are or aren't because they're playing for a college coach in a college system against pros.  QB is especially hard to gauge under this staff, because it's the most visible both good and bad.  That being said, I've played and watched enough football in my life that I'm confident that had Corral had anything for us to be excited about or confident in for him to build off of moving forward, we would've seen a glimmer of that...  if even for a split second.  But we didn't.  He looked as bad as you possibly could, in all honesty.  

And sure, there is a slim, minute chance that he could turn it around and develop into something - but the chances are slim to none.  Reps or no reps, he looked completely overwhelmed and outmatched.  None of that amazing arm talent or athleticism evident.  He looked bad.  You can watch any preseason game any year and see rookie QBs who flash despite having little to no reps while playing with nobodies.  That tells you if there is something translatable to build off of, and literally every other drafted QB looked better than Corral in the preseason despite their circumstance.

We'll see what happens with a new coach and staff, I was right about the durability stuff and I'm fairly certain I'm right about his future...  but we'll see.

The line got run over and he was injured by the push. Everyone saw it; he didn't have a chance. 

I played organized football as a minor, and have watched plenty of football as well, so...

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

The line got run over and he was injured by the push. Everyone saw it; he didn't have a chance. 

I played organized football as a minor, and have watched plenty of football as well, so...

However it happened, it happened.  And as far as I can remember, we don't know what play actually caused the injury, and I could be wrong, but I believe Lisfranc injuries are typically non-contact, at least all the ones I've been familiar with over the years - mostly basketball players.  So, I definitely think it had more to do with his frame/durability than the line play, which was indeed horrible.

And I don't claim to be an expert, but I like to think I am extremely knowledgeable and informed...  I didnt state any level of familiarity or experience with the game to denigrate you or your knowledge or experience...  I'm just saying, I'm confident in what I see and state.  And I really wanted Corral to come and here and be the next Russell Wilson...  but I just don't see it.  I would love to be wrong, but I'm fairly confident I'm not.  But again, we will see.

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

However it happened, it happened.  And as far as I can remember, we don't know what play actually caused the injury, and I could be wrong, but I believe Lisfranc injuries are typically non-contact, at least all the ones I've been familiar with over the years - mostly basketball players.  So, I definitely think it had more to do with his frame/durability than the line play, which was indeed horrible.

And I don't claim to be an expert, but I like to think I am extremely knowledgeable and informed...  I didnt state any level of familiarity or experience with the game to denigrate you or your knowledge or experience...  I'm just saying, I'm confident in what I see and state.  And I really wanted Corral to come and here and be the next Russell Wilson...  but I just don't see it.  I would love to be wrong, but I'm fairly confident I'm not.  But again, we will see.

We might not ever see anything now. Corral wouldn't be the first QB screwed before he even gets started. It was a lost opportunity. Perhaps he can come back from it, but maybe not. Like you said, we'll see.

• Beer 1