• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason La Canfora on the Panthers Future and CMC

ncfan

I've got a feeling because of that cap we'll be stuck with Rhule another year, but they'll sacrifice that year....a true lame duck year. They'll try to get as much crap out of the cap before they make their move to get a good HC and hope there's a good QB for that new HC to build around. 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, CRA said:

What good new coach wants to come to an org that hasn’t won in a half decade, has no QB and no draft picks?  It will make us the default last pick IMO any good coach and they likely just wait another hiring cycle.  Where you go matters for not only player success but coaching success to.  You largely have about 3 years in this league to put up

We have some good young players and we have talent in many places so it's not totally unenticing, but I get your point.  The coach would have to have a 3 or 4 year deal to turn things around.  All I keep thinking about is Chip Kelly and how he nearly destroyed Philly but they were able to bounce back quickly.  

I think the key is, the next coach has to be tough and have a solid plan on rebuilding this team.  We have some pieces and many unknowns such as Corral, Marshall and Tremble.  I think those players will fair much better with a good offensive mind.

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

I've got a feeling because of that cap we'll be stuck with Rhule another year, but they'll sacrifice that year....a true lame duck year. They'll try to get as much crap out of the cap before they make their move to get a good HC and hope there's a good QB for that new HC to build around. 

I cannot see how/why/what/where Tepper can bring back Rhule if he hits 10 losses. If a miracle happens and the passing O is born, thus leading to a flirt with playoffs&NFC south champ, thats the only out for me. This talk of chicken and tepper doesnt want to pay is non-topic. Rhule will continue coaching somewhere and the money difference will be like 1-2 million per. Tepper will write a 15 million check and not have his pool cleaned for a couple months. 

• Pie 1

There is only one logical reason to trade McCaffrey this year: you are going full on super tank mode, presumably because you are in love with a specific college QB and you want to make sure we don't win another game and clinch the 1st pick. Why do I say that?

1. Trading him now actually further cripples our cap situation. Huge dead hit. So you're losing money, not saving, at least not for a couple years.

2. The hit rate for draft picks outside of the top half of the 1st round is pretty sad. There's a reason proven talent garners such high draft picks, usually multiple 1sts for any valued position. So you are almost certainly getting a massive downgrade in production from whatever draft pick we'd get. Especially people talking about trading him for a 2nd (Terrace Marshall Jr ftw)

3. McCaffrey is basically our entire offense and our offense is historically abysmal. Figure it out.

4. We are almost certainly drafting a rookie QB. McCaffrey represents one of the best safety nets in the league. Put your rookie in the best chance to succeed.

TLDR; trading McCaffrey is horrifically dumb.

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Phrase that sticks out to me:

"That job, working for that owner, is a tough sell right now."

Sounds like Tepper is developing a reputation.

I'd add that "playing chicken" with Rhule is an ego-driven, dumbass move.

That was my biggest takeaway as well. We all dislike Tepper here, but if he is getting a national reputation for being a terrible boss, that is very alarming 

Trading CMC at this point would be dumb. What we would get for him is nothing compared to what he can contribute to our future team. An elite pass catching RB would do wonders for a rookie QB. Look how much Lawrence, Mac Jones, and Fields are struggling without talent around them. Tua gets talent like Tyreek and Waddle and all of a sudden he is a top 5 passer this year? Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! 

1 hour ago, Peon Awesome said:

There is only one logical reason to trade McCaffrey this year: you are going full on super tank mode, presumably because you are in love with a specific college QB and you want to make sure we don't win another game and clinch the 1st pick. Why do I say that?

1. Trading him now actually further cripples our cap situation. Huge dead hit. So you're losing money, not saving, at least not for a couple years.

2. The hit rate for draft picks outside of the top half of the 1st round is pretty sad. There's a reason proven talent garners such high draft picks, usually multiple 1sts for any valued position. So you are almost certainly getting a massive downgrade in production from whatever draft pick we'd get. Especially people talking about trading him for a 2nd (Terrace Marshall Jr ftw)

3. McCaffrey is basically our entire offense and our offense is historically abysmal. Figure it out.

4. We are almost certainly drafting a rookie QB. McCaffrey represents one of the best safety nets in the league. Put your rookie in the best chance to succeed.

TLDR; trading McCaffrey is horrifically dumb.

Would you trade him for say...Justin Fields?  Discuss among yourselves. 

13 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Trading CMC at this point would be dumb. What we would get for him is nothing compared to what he can contribute to our future team. An elite pass catching RB would do wonders for a rookie QB. Look how much Lawrence, Mac Jones, and Fields are struggling without talent around them. Tua gets talent like Tyreek and Waddle and all of a sudden he is a top 5 passer this year? Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! 

I’d say Fields is struggling.  And they have comically bad talent since he has been there.  You don’t need the best RB in the NFL as the solution to comically bad talent.

Trevor isn’t struggling anymore.  They have a real HC now. and they simply went from no talent to okay talent.  Currently has the 8th highest QB rating  

Mac isn’t struggling in reality. He has a real HC.  He has a winning record to date and has competed like 67% of his passes as a pro.  

You need a good OL,  good playcaller and a well built and diverse roster.  I’d take all that all day over just having a great RB. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Would you trade him for say...Justin Fields?  Discuss among yourselves. 

That would mean he would be on his 3 (maybe 4) head coach and OC in 2/3 years.  That my friends is how you ruin a qb.  I will try and find the article where Beane discusses his plan of developing Allen.  He talks about consistency with the HC/Oc and how continuity is crucial for all parties.   He even details the offseason planning they had for allen before they even drafted him.  Thats how things need to be done.

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

That would mean he would be on his 3 (maybe 4) head coach and OC in 2/3 years.  That my friends is how you ruin a qb.  I will try and find the article where Beane discusses his plan of developing Allen.  He talks about consistency with the HC/Oc and how continuity is crucial for all parties.   He even details the offseason planning they had for allen before they even drafted him.  Thats how things need to be done.

Didn't say I was for it just wanted to see where the Huddle draws the line.

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Didn't say I was for it just wanted to see where the Huddle draws the line.

No I got you.  I know what you are saying. 

I think the article I am referring to was in the buffalo paper or maybe an athletic article from last year.  It was an in depth piece about the transformation of Allen.  I am sure it was posted on here at some point.  I cannot find it through the googles for some reason

Edited by mrcompletely11

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

No I got you.  I know what you are saying. 

I think the article I am referring to was in the buffalo paper or maybe an athletic article from last year.  It was an in depth piece about the transformation of Allen.  I am sure it was posted on here at some point.  I cannot find it through the googles for some reason

I completely agree that a young qb needs to stay in the same system from the start to be successful.  But the reality is most end up under bad coaches who get booted before the kid has time to learn anything.  

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

I cannot see how/why/what/where Tepper can bring back Rhule if he hits 10 losses. If a miracle happens and the passing O is born, thus leading to a flirt with playoffs&NFC south champ, thats the only out for me. This talk of chicken and tepper doesnt want to pay is non-topic. Rhule will continue coaching somewhere and the money difference will be like 1-2 million per. Tepper will write a 15 million check and not have his pool cleaned for a couple months. 

Nothing would surprise me. Until I see tepper actually fire Rhule, it's going to be hard for me to see tepper part ways with his first coach hire. I just haven't heard any legit sources say tepper will move on any time soon. 

• Pie 1