• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason La Canfora on the Panthers Future and CMC

ncfan

2 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I agree on both points. 

While I don't see any improvement by sending Rhule out the door now, this year is probably a major loss, regardless. I don't see anybody on the current staff changing that, including Rhule.

Unless they did something incredibly stupid with Rhule's contract, the end result in terms of dollars and sense is going to wind up being background noise.  Especially with some big-time NCAA jobs opening up as this plays out. 

In terms of Tepper, he just needs to stay out of sight or get some advice of how to handle this mess from someone with bonafide NFL credentials.  Right now, this whole mess looks like amateur hour at almost every level.

There's a pretty obvious candidate to give him that advice, and I don't know why he wouldn't contact him outside of an egotistical desire to prove to everyone that he can do this without anybody's help.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

What good new coach wants to come to an org that hasn’t won in a half decade, has no QB and no draft picks?

What good new coach wants to come to an org that hasn’t won in a half decade, and has literally no talent from top to bottom because its good players were traded for busts?

6 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

What good new coach wants to come to an org that hasn’t won in a half decade, and has literally no talent from top to bottom because its good players were traded for busts?

I'm not advocating trading away all our good players.  We have a lot of very good promising young players. 

just the RB.  The one we never should of signed to begin with.  He frankly was part of why the Rhule rebuild was a joke.  You don't start off a legit rebuild by making a RB the highest paid players in the NFL.  He should of been traded then and not paid.  Why carry that over to the next rebuild.   No point keeping this a CMC centric O.  We need to be building something new.  We wasted CMC.  It is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

the league is slam full of productive runners that aren't Chuba though. 

CMC isn't Deboo.  2 totally different players.  They just happen to both be diverse. 

Is the league really slammed full of them? Of the top 10 rushing leaders at RB 2 of them weren't drafted in the first 2 rounds - Aaron Jones (who also signed a big contract) and Khalil Herbert who is a backup getting run because Montgomery is hurt. 

This notion that we can find a late round RB in the 3rd/4th or later is an absurd fallacy that more often than not gets you a Chuba Hubbard rather than Aaron Jones. Since 2018 there have been 68 RBs drafted in the 4th round or later. Of those 68, three, Chase Edmonds (2018), Elijah Mitchell (2021), Dameon Pierce (2022) entered this season as a starter for their clubs. 

My initial comment wasn't advocating for or against the notion of not paying RBs big money and drafting a replacement only that taking a loss on CMC and selling for pennies on the dollar with the belief we can just replace him with a late draft pick is an indisputable absurdity. 

You're right though. CMC and Deebo aren't the same players. CMC isnt nearly as powerful as Deebo -but  he is far quicker.  They have similar builds and he 100% could run the same route tree, probably better if we're being honest, and we know what he can do as a runner now. 

His contract based on AAV for a WR would slot right in between guys like Allen Robinson, Hunter Renfrow and Adam Thielin. If the new coach decides that CMC just cant do it as a runner and we need a stop gap like Foreman to take the bulk of the carrier I am extremely comfortable slotting CMC into the slot and letting him take the same role of 10-15 targets and 7-10 carries a game. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

So we could get another RB like Chuba? 

Hard pass. I'd move CMC to WR and let him take on the Debo (at which his contract becomes a bargain comparatively) before I'd ever ship him out for mid round picks AND eat the contract. 

Some of ya'll would rather have the great white hope on the highest paid RB contract than a winning football team.

38 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Is the league really slammed full of them? Of the top 10 rushing leaders at RB 2 of them weren't drafted in the first 2 rounds - Aaron Jones (who also signed a big contract) and Khalil Herbert who is a backup getting run because Montgomery is hurt. 

This notion that we can find a late round RB in the 3rd/4th or later is an absurd fallacy that more often than not gets you a Chuba Hubbard rather than Aaron Jones. Since 2018 there have been 68 RBs drafted in the 4th round or later. Of those 68, three, Chase Edmonds (2018), Elijah Mitchell (2021), Dameon Pierce (2022) entered this season as a starter for their clubs. 

My initial comment wasn't advocating for or against the notion of not paying RBs big money and drafting a replacement only that taking a loss on CMC and selling for pennies on the dollar with the belief we can just replace him with a late draft pick is an indisputable absurdity. 

You're right though. CMC and Deebo aren't the same players. CMC isnt nearly as powerful as Deebo -but  he is far quicker.  They have similar builds and he 100% could run the same route tree, probably better if we're being honest, and we know what he can do as a runner now. 

His contract based on AAV for a WR would slot right in between guys like Allen Robinson, Hunter Renfrow and Adam Thielin. If the new coach decides that CMC just cant do it as a runner and we need a stop gap like Foreman to take the bulk of the carrier I am extremely comfortable slotting CMC into the slot and letting him take the same role of 10-15 targets and 7-10 carries a game. 

the league is full of productive runners.  I didn't say it was full of top 10 ten rushers/featured load RBs.  I don't care to have a highly paid featured RB.  He gets hurts and it disrupts everything.  I'd rather just have a well rounded committee.  It's passing league. 

I mean, even when CMC went completely bonkers and pulled off 1000/1000.....we won 5 games.  

• Beer 1

"Working for that owner" is interesting. I'm surprised people think it'd be bad to work for a dude that gives you a record breaking contract, near full control, and massive job security. Rhule is getting WAY more time than most coaches get when they're this bad and he has a huge amount of roster control (arguably complete)...  Tepper doesn't seem to actively meddle outside the superstar QB grabs but even that was tempered... Frankly Tepper picked a terrible coach but wouldn't a prospective coach care more about what leeway he gives to his coaches?

5 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

"Working for that owner" is interesting. I'm surprised people think it'd be bad to work for a dude that gives you a record breaking contract, near full control, and massive job security. Rhule is getting WAY more time than most coaches get when they're this bad and he has a huge amount of roster control (arguably complete)...  Tepper doesn't seem to actively meddle outside the superstar QB grabs but even that was tempered... Frankly Tepper picked a terrible coach but wouldn't a prospective coach care more about what leeway he gives to his coaches?

It would make you think there's something deeper, but no way to know what.

• Pie 2