• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason La Canfora on the Panthers Future and CMC

ncfan

Tepper and most billionaires in general make a living out of getting out of bad business deals without paying for them. I would suspect there’s some element of that at play here. He’s waiting for Rhule to land a college job so he doesn’t have to pay his buyout. Idiotic contract but he doesn’t want to live with the consequences. Can’t run an NFL team like it’s Appaloosa. 

• Beer 1

40 minutes ago, CRA said:

the league is full of productive runners.  I didn't say it was full of top 10 ten rushers/featured load RBs.  I don't care to have a highly paid featured RB.  He gets hurts and it disrupts everything.  I'd rather just have a well rounded committee.  It's passing league. 

I mean, even when CMC went completely bonkers and pulled off 1000/1000.....we won 5 games.  

Cam got hurt that season year and didn't play after the 2nd game. Kyle Allen started 12 games for us and went 5-7. We lost our last 8 games. That wouldn't have happened with a healthy Cam. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Cam got hurt that season year and didn't play after the 2nd game. Kyle Allen started 12 games for us and went 5-7. We lost our last 8 games. That wouldn't have happened with a healthy Cam. 

Correct.  It wouldn't of happened with a healthy Cam.  It's a QB league.  

We have a losing record with CMC and every QB he has been paired with since Cam got hurt.  It doesn't matter if CMC is the best RB in the NFL.  That's not how you win. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Disagree. The coaches and GMs have egos and want to win too, especially the coaches. If someone is willing to be saddled with this dysfunctional organization just for the money, they don't want to win and aren't the sort of GM or coach that the owner should hire in the first place. Rhule came to Carolina for the money. You want Tepper to repeat that mistake?

I'd say the same thing about any GM or coach who would look at our roster and draft picks and say "Nope I don't think I can win with this.  I need to be primed for success with top shelf talent at every position".

10 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Is the league really slammed full of them? Of the top 10 rushing leaders at RB 2 of them weren't drafted in the first 2 rounds - Aaron Jones (who also signed a big contract) and Khalil Herbert who is a backup getting run because Montgomery is hurt. 

This notion that we can find a late round RB in the 3rd/4th or later is an absurd fallacy that more often than not gets you a Chuba Hubbard rather than Aaron Jones. Since 2018 there have been 68 RBs drafted in the 4th round or later. Of those 68, three, Chase Edmonds (2018), Elijah Mitchell (2021), Dameon Pierce (2022) entered this season as a starter for their clubs. 

My initial comment wasn't advocating for or against the notion of not paying RBs big money and drafting a replacement only that taking a loss on CMC and selling for pennies on the dollar with the belief we can just replace him with a late draft pick is an indisputable absurdity. 

You're right though. CMC and Deebo aren't the same players. CMC isnt nearly as powerful as Deebo -but  he is far quicker.  They have similar builds and he 100% could run the same route tree, probably better if we're being honest, and we know what he can do as a runner now. 

His contract based on AAV for a WR would slot right in between guys like Allen Robinson, Hunter Renfrow and Adam Thielin. If the new coach decides that CMC just cant do it as a runner and we need a stop gap like Foreman to take the bulk of the carrier I am extremely comfortable slotting CMC into the slot and letting him take the same role of 10-15 targets and 7-10 carries a game. 

You don't have to rely on one running back to have a running game, it's more about the system. The Chiefs won a superbowl with Damien Williams who was undrafted. The 49ers have plugged in guys like Mitchell, Jeff Wilson Jr (UDFA), Raheem Mostert (UDFA) and have done fine. Austin Ekeler was a UDFA. The Ravens were top 3 last year when they had bunch of injuries and ended up with  Devonta Freeman and Latavius Murray off the streets at the beginning of the season. The Patriots for years have been using guys like James White, Legarrette Blount, Rhamondre Stevenson and have been fine. The Falcons are getting a lot of production out of Cordarrelle Patterson who no one really wanted.  You might need to draft one in the 2nd or 3rd if you want one of the best like Nick Chubb or Derrick Henry, but it seems like a better use of resources to spend cap dollars or higher draft picks at higher impact positions.

• Pie 1