• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason La Canfora on the Panthers Future and CMC

ncfan

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Phrase that sticks out to me:

"That job, working for that owner, is a tough sell right now."

Sounds like Tepper is developing a reputation.

I'd add that "playing chicken" with Rhule is an ego-driven, dumbass move.

David Tepper..the "Dan Snyder" of the NFC South.

• Flames 1

16 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

You don't have to rely on one running back to have a running game, it's more about the system. The Chiefs won a superbowl with Damien Williams who was undrafted. The 49ers have plugged in guys like Mitchell, Jeff Wilson Jr (UDFA), Raheem Mostert (UDFA) and have done fine. Austin Ekeler was a UDFA. The Ravens were top 3 last year when they had bunch of injuries and ended up with  Devonta Freeman and Latavius Murray off the streets at the beginning of the season. The Patriots for years have been using guys like James White, Legarrette Blount, Rhamondre Stevenson and have been fine. The Falcons are getting a lot of production out of Cordarrelle Patterson who no one really wanted.  You might need to draft one in the 2nd or 3rd if you want one of the best like Nick Chubb or Derrick Henry, but it seems like a better use of resources to spend cap dollars or higher draft picks at higher impact positions.

I think its important for me to make sure its clear I'm not saying that you 100% cant find a RB in the late rounds who can be a top running back. You absolutely can for any position in the league. The GOAT QB od all time was a 6th round pick, Hall of Famer Kurt Warner was undrafted. The odds of that happening just decrease exponentially. Like I said in a previous post. 68 RBs drafted in the 4th-7th rounds since 2018. 3 of them are starters. Of those 3 not one of them is coming close to touching the production and impact on an offense that CMC does. 

Lets make no bones about it - you dont need a running back to win. Its a QB driven league. The chiefs won because of Mahommes, Kelce, Hill and Andy Reid. Further counter point would be that Damien Williams only filled in because Edwards-Helaire, another first round pick, got hurt week 13 and missed the playoffs. They didnt go the entire year with a UDFA leading their offense like how we do with CMC. 

The 9ers have spent 3 draft picks, 2 of them 3rds on RBs trying to flush out their stable and already cut one of their 3rd round picks, Trey Sermon, after one season. This after mortgaging their future with 3 firsts for Trey Lance. They already have limited capital and are still spending premium picks trying to figure it out just proving that just because you can hit on a pick like an Aaron Jones, Austin Ekler in the later rounds, even in the 3rd theres no guarantee you hit. I'm sure with our eye for talent I can almost guarantee we'd get another Jordan Scarlett rather than an Aaron Jones. 

Ravens were top 3 in rushing last year because Lamar had 800 yards and accounted for 40% of their running game while only playing in 12/17 games. Freeman played in 16 games and had 575 yards. They also struggled mightily last year and finished last in the division. They weren't signing guys off the street in a plug and play dominant ground control offense. They missed Dobbins and Hill last year. 

CMC is here, hes been his normal self and as long as he stays healthy I think he continues to be here unless a team blows us away with an offer we would be foolish to refuse (something similar to what Adams and Hill went for.) I am not defending the contract - or the pick where he was taken. As CRA pointed out. Even in his dominant season, we won 5 games with Kyle Allen. I'd never spend a 1st on anything other than Olinemen, Defensive ends or a QB unless they were a generational talent but that's just me. Just saw the comment about replacing him with a late round pick and this is where we've spiraled out to lol.

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

At the moment, I'd say probably the O-Line.

That bodes well for the future too.

Which is why we aren’t in a horrible spot cap space wise.

We have a of space in 2024 which includes already have 4/5 OL starters under contact. 

Add in a rookie QB contract and there’s lots of flexibility there.

The Saints on the other hand or in actual trouble this time and to make matters worse they don’t have a 1st rounder next year. 

• Pie 1