• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker is Telegraphing his throws

Ricky Spanish

41 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I would never consider signing Baker to a long term deal, but hear me out. What you pointed out in your post about the throwing mechanics is fixable.  Footwork issues are fixable. Calling better plays and developing better schemes is fixable.

A good coaching staff could win games with Baker. He won 7 games for a team that won non the year before he got there. And, he won a playoff game after almost throwing 30 TD's one year, without the help of an injured Odell Beckham.

Teddy B went 5-0 as a Saint starter with Sean Peyton coaching him. Last year in Denver he went 7-7 with 18 TD's and 7 INT's.

Sam Darnold went 7-6 with 19 TD's and 13 INT's in 2019. Had he done that last year we would have been an 8 or 9 win team in 2021.

Yet, each guy seems to play worse football in Carolina. Such a decline in performance has to be in large part due to coaching. The current staff is unable to get the most out of the players and put them in position to succeed on the gridiron.

Your statement sums it up nicely. ("Yet, each guy seems to play worse football in Carolina. Such a decline in performance has to be in large part due to coaching. The current staff is unable to get the most out of the players and put them in position to succeed on the gridiron." )

• Pie 2

55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't bet on Matt Rhule recognizing anything like that.

Hell, Dan Orlovsky figured out a tell in our formations with a simple film study. Yet somehow neither our offensive staff not our defensive staff saw it.

If we're really having this discussion -- That's more on the advancement and availability of film technology now. Random twitter nobodies can figure out that pre snap you could tell if it was a run or pass by how his foot moves, I'm sure Dan Orlovsky, a former NFL player, can figure out things.

Rhule is incompetent, McAdoo hasn't really schemed up anything Baker's comfortable with, but I don't think Rhule is the one person in NFL -- coach, player, otherwise -- who hasn't realized Baker Mayfield stares down WRs.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Great job on picking this up!

I wonder if this was on film from his last 4 years or just got sloppier here?

Looks like it. This is from 2020 when he had his best statistical year:

Identifies target:

image.thumb.png.4107f92b0d0e04e3015ebc7c3ba7b752.png

6 frames later he begins separating his hands to start his throwing motion:

image.thumb.png.fa72ec2a38f92d495d077e4919ddc1b9.png

That particular throw his hands start to come back down in the next frame as he begins his throwing motion, so his hands actually go from sternum, to collar, to back down about 2 inches before he starts to separate his hands. 

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Rags said:

If we're really having this discussion -- That's more on the advancement and availability of film technology now. Random twitter nobodies can figure out that pre snap you could tell if it was a run or pass by how his foot moves, I'm sure Dan Orlovsky, a former NFL player, can figure out things.

Rhule is incompetent, McAdoo hasn't really schemed up anything Baker's comfortable with, but I don't think Rhule is the one person in NFL -- coach, player, otherwise -- who hasn't realized Baker Mayfield stares down WRs.

I'm not sure the kind of scheme options they used in Cleveland to help the issue have even crossed Rhule's mind.

He's still a checkers player in a grandmaster chess tournament.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

As soon as the ball goes up to his collar, you know he's about to throw the thing.

I'm just some jackass on the internet who works in data and I noticed this. Imagine who in the NFL with their trained eyes has also seen this?

I always knew he was limited as a QB but not the true depth of his issues. That is some crazy sloppy technique. 

It looks like if all the teams did not know then they should know now. Great work Ricky.

We throw around terms like "couch GM" to discredit each other often but here we have a Huddler who's come up with a better answer for this than any professional analyst that's covered it. Maybe more in-depth than the team's own coaching staff. Bravo @Ricky Spanish.

Does Baker pump fake ever? Seems like that would do wonders in this case.

Edited by MechaZain
  • Pie 3